It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
What should I expect with LEEP?

I had an abnormal pap back in July, had a Colposcopy and 3 biopsies in August and then Cryo in August. The I had another abnormal pap in Jan. and another colposcopy and 5 biopsies in the begining of March. I am going for LEEP in 2 weeks. What should I expect as far as pain during and after? And anything else thing I might need to know?

Does this EVER end? Does it ever really go away???

~Beki

Old 03-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ILYF HB User
Re: What should I expect with LEEP?

Huuuum....I'm wondering why they made you go through all those biopsies? Oh well, the LEEP is uncomfortable but it's like having a papsmear done for about 20 minutes and add a little biopsy to it...ha! It will feel a little bit uncomfortable like a papsmear does. They go in and scrape off the affected tissue from your cervix. It's not pleasant but it's not horrible either. I didn't have anything except for a local deadening but some doctors will use anesthesia but unless you are really squeemish, I wouldn't do that. It will just make you sick after it wears off if you use anesthesia. I expected to be really sore afterwards and bleed a lot but I didn't experience anything but very mild discomfort afterwards. Very little bleeding too. Oh and btw, for me, the biopsy hurt more than the LEEP! My papsmear was a CINIII, what was yours?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

They are giving me pain meds before and after and a local. I don't know what the whole CIN thing is everyone keeps using that term my doctor told me moderate and severe dyslplasia so I am not sure how that transfers over to CIN. They told me I couldn't drive and couldn't return to work that day. I can't lift anything over 15 lbs for 2-3 weeks, no tampons or intercourse for 4 weeks. No hot tubs for 4 weeks. With all the restrictions they give you it makes it sound pretty painful. He told me I have several areas that looked "bad" and that is why he did so many biopsies. How long ago did you have your LEEP? Did you smell the burning or see smoke or anything like that? I have heard some real horror stories.

Last edited by lovethoscurls; 03-23-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

lovethoscurls - everytime i see your name I think of my daughter who has lots of red curly hair ....

moderate/severe dysplasia is the same as CIN 2 / CIN 3. It all corresponds to the depth of tissue that is affected by the cell changes.

Watch with the local, sometimes it contains epinephrine which can cause your heart to race and your legs to shake. My doc warned me beforehand and I did shake! He waited a bit for the anesthetic to take effect, then did the leep. I didn't feel anything. I heard the tool humming, but did not feel OR smell anything. In fact, I think he had a little suction tube to draw out any of the smoke. I had the same restrictions as you, although i didn't have to worry much as my hubby was away - we are quite used to nookie droughts Pain management, I took a couple advil before I went, then took it every four hours after the procedure for about a day, then whenever I felt I needed it after that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I had CINII/Moderate dysplasia. I had the leep about 3 years ago. All of my paps have come back normal since then by the way. They gave me a local for the pain. He stuck a needle directly into the cervix quite a few times. It did make my heart race and I felt really weird like I was tingly all over but that only lasted 1 minute then was gone. I didn't have any pain during the leep. I felt something but it just felt warm not painful. I did smell smoke but not a big deal at all. I had taken 2 ibuprofen before and took two when I got home. It hurt pretty good for 4 hours but not extreme pain. At 4 hours suddenly the pain subsided. After that it would hurt just a little when I would walk or move wrong for a few days. This last year I hurt my back and had back surgery and the leep is like a walk in the park compared to spine surgery. Don't worry about it it's not bad at all.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

tpagm HB User

I had my leep in the hostipal asleep. I had CIN II. My insurance covered everything I figured I would do it that way. I took to tylenol before the procedure. I had the same instruction you and everyone else had. I had no pain afterwards. The COLPO was ten times worse then the leep. I had discharge for a couple weeks. The discharge was the worst part. It seems like it would never stop. It is one year later and I am starting the whole process over again. My first follow pap was ascus. My second was normal and now my third is CIN I. SO I go back in April for another follow up pap.

Good Luck.
The leep is a breeze so don't worry too much. If you made it through all the other procedures you will do just fine with this one.

My doc also gave me prescription pain meds which I never needed to take.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Thank-You all so much. I really am trying not to worry to much. It's not easy though. Hopefully all will go well I go in on April 5th to have the LEEP done.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
(female)

kitkatD HB User

We'll be thinking of you! Remember to check back in & let us know how it goes!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Don't worry I will. I might even be back before than if my nerves get the better of me. I am trying not to let that happen but you can only control that feeling to point

Closed Thread