Hello,I was recently diagnosed with severe dysplasia(CIN III).My colposcopy showed two lesions on the cervix and remnants of a lesion on the ECC.My gyn explained the treatment plan this way:the LEEP tool will be used on the front of the cervix and a curettege stick will be used to scrape the canal.I thought what?how will this remove the abnormal areas from the canal?You do not know where the lesion is at!My gyn was not too happy with my questions,and said that would be aggressive enough.I am worried that areas will be missed and I will end up having to repeat more procedures!Should I seek a second opinion?I want to be sure this is the best way to go.Any advice would be much appreciated!!Thank-You
If your gyn was not happy with you asking very LEGITIMATE questions about what is going to happen to YOUR body, then yes, I think you need to get a second opinion.
If there are cells in the canal, my personal opinion is it should NOT be an ecc removing them. Good for you for questioning your doctor about this. Get that second opinion, perhaps even from a gyn-oncologist if you can.
Thanks for responding! I will get that second opinion because you are right,my gyn should have been receptive to my questions.Sometimes I feel like doctors treat this like its no big deal and thats a shame!Thanks again!!
ITA! Find someone you are comfortable with! Sounds like your Dr. did not like his methods being questioned. Not a good sign. Why doesn't he do a 2nd pass with the loop & get into your EC that way? That's what mine did, although I am having issues w/ my GYN at the moment, too.
Hey,My gyn did not even mention doing a "top hat" on my EC.Strange,isn't it?Seem's like if you do not remove all of the problem it's going to come right back and maybe cause even more problem's!!So for me that mean's the search is on again!!!Sorry to hear thing's are not going so well with your gyn,I hope everything work's out.
Freesoul, I am lucky that my GYN did fix the problem, but I am finding myself mistrusting him in that he has not been totally truthful with what he finds. He uses words like "way, way worse than expected" & "really bad", but he never comes out & says what it is. I always have to ask for biopsy results, search the internet & find out what's going on myself. That in itself is time-consuming, but it is MY body & I want to know what they plan on doing to it! Good luck with your search. I figure my journey with dysplasia may be a long road, so I might as well find someone who will tell me what I NEED to hear even if it can scare the bejeebers out of me! I want to know the truth about what is wrong with me & every possible what if & if they want to evade it & try to comfort me by sugar-coating it, I'd rather pass.
Hi KitKat,I understand exactly what you are saying!!You may have needed a cone biopsy instead of the LEEP.That way you would have stood a better chance of getting the dysplasia in one pass instead of possibly having to repeat more procedures!I have been researching everything I can find just like you have,because it seems like I am not getting the answers that I need.I have read so many stories of women who have to keep going back again and again!It seems so wrong.If you can develop immunity to the virus that is causing this,the dysplasia should recede,right? Who knows,its so hard to figure out.I think maybe I would be better off having a cone biopsy done.Maybe the new gyn will agree.And you are right,it is your body and if you feel like you do not have enough answers and the doctor is not helping,go for a second opinion!And keep going until you find the one who will listen and really want to find a resolution.It sounds to me like maybe your current gyn will only keep you coming back for repeats,and alot of pain and suffering.Not to mention the stress!!!
When I got my cone biopsy results it came back high grade dysplasia (CIN II - CIN III) with the presents of carcinoma. We didnt mess with it. It was exactly 4 weeks after my biopsy an I had my hysterectomy. I dont know all about your situation, but I'm 30 have 2 great kids, already had my tubes tied, so I didnt plan on having anymore kids. This was the best way to go for me, I didnt want to have to be worrying about it. I know how it was for me to sit around an think about it, it drove me crazy. I am 4 weeks post-op an I'm doin great. I'm back to regular activies and I'm having no problem. I dont know if I helped u at all, but good luck. Take care.
Hi! Thank's for the response.Reading your experience has made me feel better about asking for a cone.For me the decision come's easily.I know that the odd's are not in my favor with a LEEP on the first pass,so I thought maybe with a cone that would take care of the problem.I'm not going to be having any more children,so for me the more aggressive the better.Even a hysterectomy would be ok,so like you I could put it behind me!!Hopefully my new gyn will be open to this(previous gyn saw it one way,no discussion).Again,thank's for your input.It's nice to have a place to talk about this with other's who understand.
Hi Freesoul, Go with your instincts. My smear came back in December as CINIII?Invasive and was referred straight away for colposcopy and biopsy. The results came back as expected -CINIII and they did a deep cone biopsy as like yourself the lesion had gone up into the canal where they couldn't see. My results from this showed that the margins were close but clear indicating they had got all the pre cancerous cell. Maybe a less aggressive treatment would have meant further treatment for me because they wouldn't have gotten it all. I have now got a return appointment for colposcopy and smear in July and hopefully everything will be ok. Go get that second opinion
Hi Yvette! I appreciate your reply.I'm going this Wednesday to meet with my new gyn,hopefully everything will work out and I can get my treatment.I was glad to read that you had your cone and everything looked clear! I sincerely hope that your follow up come's back ok.Let me know how it work's out.Thank's again and take care!!
I am also CIN III and I just had a cone biopsy 2 weeks ago. I am also high risk HPV ...
But I was told by my doctor that a cone biopsy is better and they don't "burn" the margins so they will get a better sample. I just got my results and there were CIN III cells in the upper canal so I will have a cervical scraping in 5 weeks to check and see if those cells are a fluke. My point is to go with your gut and the aggressive doctor because this is your life we are taliking about!
Hi,Well my new gyn worked out great.The gyn asked me to try doing a LEEP with "top hat",and said he would remove as much tissue as was allowed in the office.If the margin's don't come back clear or the ECC still show's some abnormal cells then I can go ahead and have a hysterectomy if I want.The gyn said if this type of invasive LEEP does not produce good result's,since I will not be having any more children we can just go straight to a hyst.I feel much better knowing I have a gyn who will be as aggressive as I want to be with this.After pushing so hard for the right care,I feel like I can say whew!!! But you have to be proactive,like you said,it's our bodie's!! Thank's so much for your reply,take care.
I have been reading these boards for about a week now and I am so glad I found you. I am going through what alot of you women are and or have been going through. I have had abnormal pap and also hpv positive. Had a colposcopy with biopsies and was told I have CINIII and carcinoma in situ. Today I had a consult with the gyn/onc and he examined me and took three more biopsies and now I wait for the results. Depending on those results I am going to be scheduled for a cone or a hysterectomy. I'm scared and worried. It has been comforting and helped alot to read everyones posts
I've been reading everyone's posts and had a question about when you would find out if the dysplasia is in the canal? I had an abnormal pap with HGSIL, then I had a biopsy that indicated severe dysplasia. Now I am scheduled for the LEEP in August. Any info would be useful. Thanks!