HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/)
-   -   Advice Please (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/378593-advice-please.html)

SLJ16 03-30-2006 11:31 AM

Advice Please

Hi-I'm a 26 year old female. I've had two paps showing Mild Dysplasia, HPV and I had a LEEP each time. Then I had an abnormal pap after my second LEEP that was ASCUS. I had a colpo but no follow up treatment. I just went to my 3 month follow up pap last week and got the results today. Low Grade Mild Dysplasia. So now i'm going back in April for a colpo. I'm nervous AGAIN. I don't know why this keeps happening. I know that I should be a little thankful its mild and i'm sure that there are other women on this who have gone through worse, but i'm scared. I really could use some helpful advice. I always find this site to be so supportive.

lovethoscurls 03-30-2006 12:38 PM

Re: Advice Please

You probably know more about it then I do, but I am 21 I have moderate and severe dysplasia and had cryo done in August. I am now having LEEP done next week. My doctor told me he doesn't at all treat Mild dysplasia he just re-paps every 4 months, most of the time the body heals itself of mild dysplasia occasionally if it doesn't get better or correct itself he will treat it but most of the time it isn't necessary. I think before I let him treat you with LEEP again for Mild dysplasia I would get a second opinion, if you plan on having children. My doctor told me that doing LEEP more than once can cause pre-mature births later. I am also told they can stitch you so this doesn't happen but if you don't need it then why take the chance? Just thought. I am not at all second guessing your doctor...I am just a patient dealing with the same issues as you but if I were you I would think about talking to someone else if he decides he wants you to have LEEP done again for MILD dysplasia. Good Luck!!

tpagm 03-30-2006 01:55 PM

Hey-

I am pretty much going through the same thing. I had a leep 03/2005...follow up pap came back ascus 07/2005...next follow up normal 10/2005 and then 01/2006 mild dsyplasia. I have another follow up pap in 04/2006. Its a never ending story. My doctor did say that the dsyplasia can come back on other parts of the cervix. So I guess that is what is going on...I just don't know. But its frustrating and I just try not to let it get to me since there is really nothing I can do. I just really wish this could all go away. I was so happy thinking I could just go back to yearly paps. I can't wait for that day to come.

Good luck

kitkatD 03-30-2006 05:13 PM

I agree that maybe you should get a 2nd opinion & do the wait & see approach since this is mild dyplasia. I already think the 2 LEEPs are a bit excessive for CINI. The only thing I can think of for this to keep coming back is that you are possibly getting reinfected with HPV. But, then again dysplasia can keep coming back over & over. That is why follow-up is essential for good health!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. I personally would not do another LEEP. I am surprised they want to keep doing LEEPs! Find someone who is looking out for your health, not their pocketbooks. Not saying your doctor is crazy or anything, but I really don't understand the reasoning for all the LEEPs. Maybe you should ask him/her point blank why they keep doing this to you. Take care.

cincbcat 03-31-2006 05:29 AM

I have had two LEEP's for severe dysplasia. My Dr. told me that under no circumstances would he do 3 LEEP's on anyone. His next step, if I continue to not improve, would be to refer me to an oncologist who specializes in gynecology. My Dr. would only do a LEEP on someone with moderate to severe dysplasia, never for mild. Please consider getting a second opinion. Soon it will be to the point where your fertility is severely affected. Good luck to you :-)

SLJ16 03-31-2006 08:21 AM

LEEPS don't effect your fertility, it just effects your ability to carry the baby. One of the risks of having surgeries on your cervix is having a premature delivery or an incompetent cervix. The LEEP is the most ideal. I am nervous that i've already had 2. I'm hoping this time he will try to wait and see. The thing with doing that is there is a chance it can progress to moderate or severe. Or with luck it could stay mild or go away. I just haven't had very much luck with that. And with my family history my Dr. would rather be proactive. I think i'll wait to see what the results of the colpo are after i have that done and see what he thinks. the last time i had an abnormal pap he said i was young and he knows i'll have children so he wanted to not go ahead with another LEEP and just watch me carefully. so hopefully this time he will want to do the same. i'm just upset that it keeps coming back. I can't see how i'm being reinfected with HPV because i'm with the same partner and i'm using condoms religiously. Honestly these procedures have made me a prude. It just lives in your system and can be dormant but then pop up. I just don't want to have the colpo. it makes me freak out.

lovethoscurls 03-31-2006 08:56 AM

Condoms don't always protect against HPV. Have you talk to you doctor about Cryo Therapy? Freezing of the cervix to remove the cells. Maybe it is something you could look into.

SLJ16 03-31-2006 09:07 AM

I haven't talked to him about that yet. Do you have HPV? The whole thing is so embarrassing for me. I need to stay calm though and wait and see what happens. Just when I think things are going so well, I get that dreaded phone call saying I had yet another abnormal pap. Thanks for the support. I really need it right now.

kitkatD 03-31-2006 04:05 PM

Yeah, try the cryotherapy! That's what my Dr. was going to do if I had CINI. As for fertility with LEEPs, I have read that having LEEPs can affect fertility. I'll try to remember where I read it, but something along the lines of it affecting mucous/sperm motility, making it harder for sperm to move through (due to scar tissue)? Anyway, I'll try to look into it again to get the right details. As for HPV, you are right. It can pop up here & there, but like lovethoscurls said, condoms really don't protect against HPV. If you have been in the same relationship for a while, you probably aren't contracting different strains of HPV, but for those who have multiple partners, it is quite possible to get more than one strain. Anyway, I think my dr. said about 75-85% of the population has at one point been infected with HPV at one point or another, but only a few ever get problems. That would be us! :(

Timber 03-31-2006 05:17 PM

I got HPV having had only 2 partners and having used a condom every single time without exception. Condoms definitely don't prevent HPV.

cincbcat 04-04-2006 11:17 AM

Sorry, I said your fertility was affected by LEEP's when I should have said your ability to carry was affected. I know LEEP's don't affect the way you produce eggs and your ovulation.

SLJ16 04-09-2006 07:43 AM

I'm having my colpo done on Wednesday. I'm very nervous again for it. I can't remember how I felt the last time. Any encouraging words would help so much!

Timber 04-09-2006 07:54 AM

I had a colpo in the fall and I'm having another tomorrow. Don't be too nervous. If they take a biopsy, it pinches, but the pinch lasts a split second. At least that's how I experienced it. There was some pain but it was SO fast that it's no big deal.

SLJ16 04-09-2006 05:25 PM

thanks for the advice. i wish i was having it tomorrow instead of waiting another three days. I hate dealing with this. I get so nervous too. I do not do well with pain and the whole thing is just annoying. i do remember the pinch, i think i get my self more worked up than i should but i'm sure you understand how i'm feeling.
were you diagnosed with HPV?

ilovesporty 04-09-2006 06:29 PM

It's totally understandable to be nervous. I think I've felt like that since my rollercoaster started in November. My colpo wasn't a big deal either and the biopsies don't last that long. They definitely aren't the most fun in the world, but you'll get through it! :)

It sounds like you are more worried about HPV than the colpo, and I can understand that too. I do have HPV, and the thought of it does stink. But, just remember, that researchers estimate that 70-90% of adults will have HPV at some point in their lives. If you take care of yourself, you can help it regress. Vitamins, eating well, limiting stress, exercising, no smoking, etc.

Good luck to you and Timber this week with your colpos!