It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Seriphina HB User
Borderline Malignant

I just had two "cysts" removed off my right ovary. Done laproscopicly. (sp?) The surgery went well. But I went in for my post-op appointment with my doctor, and he had my pathology report.

They werenít cysts. They were tumors. And they came back as being borderline malignant. I donít know what this means. Are they cancerous or are they not? He said that he thinks they got it all out. But he canít be sure. And one of them ruptured while they were trying to remove it. The flushed out my abdomen so it should have gotten it all out.

But he is sending me down to a gyn oncologist for a consultation. Iím trying not to let this bother me too much. But Iím starting to get really scared. Not once did my doctor say, donít worry, this isnít a big deal or anything like that.

I guess the consultation is to see if they need to do more biopsies, or take my whole ovary and tube. Iím freaking out here, Iím only 28 years old. And my husband and I are wanting to have children in about a year.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Borderline Malignant

Oh my goodness, what a shock for you (understatement!!!)!!! It is good that your doctor is referring you to a gynecologist oncologist for a consultation. A gyn-onc is the true expert when it comes to dealing with pre-cancers and cancer. I can't answer your question re: what borderline malignant means, I wish I could. Do you have an idea of when your appointment with the gyn-onc will be? I hope it is soon so you can get some answers. In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy, treat yourself to a day or afternoon at the spa, retail therapy or whatever you can do to keep your mind off of this. Waiting is one of the hardest things in the world to do, the more distraction the quicker time goes by. I'll be thinking of you.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Seriphina HB User

My appointment is on May 9th. So thankfully I don't have to wait TOO long. But yes, that's what I'm trying to do. Just keep my mind off of it. It most definatly was a shock. My Gyn was shocked too. He wasn't expecting this.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

kitkatD HB User

Just wanted to offer you some encouragement. My mother had 3 children with only one ovary, so, just in case they need to take one, remember that it is still possible to get pregnant! She had one taken out in her early 20s due to a grapefruit sized cyst. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatD
Just wanted to offer you some encouragement. My mother had 3 children with only one ovary, so, just in case they need to take one, remember that it is still possible to get pregnant! She had one taken out in her early 20s due to a grapefruit sized cyst. Good luck!

wow she sounds like me!

Sorry to hear - but they can do great things to fix stuff now.

And you'll probably have no problems getting pregnant. The cysts can prevent pregnancy actually.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Seriphina,

My appt too is on May 9th for my second opinion in reference . May I ask what type of cysts they thought they were at first?

Terry

Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Seriphina HB User

they didn't know before the surgery. after the surgery they thought they were dermoid cysts. it wasn't until the pathology report came back that they found out they were accually tumors.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

TLValiant HB User

I was wondering about that. I guess there is no way for them to tell for sure unless they get them out. My first doctor was telling me that mine was a dermoid tumor because the CT scan stated it was a fatty mass.

Thank you for sharing this.

Terry

Closed Thread