It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

Clueless3065 HB User
? about a cold knife cone/biopsy

Hi there.

I am new to the boards and I am looking for information on the cold knife cone/biopsy procedure. I am scheduled to have one done at the end of June.

I am wondering how you would have felt after the procedure. We are supposed to go away on our family vacation the first week of July and I don't know if we should cancel the plans or not.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

freesoul HB User
Re: ? about a cold knife cone/biopsy

Hello,I myself had a LEEP/Cone procedure,but that's not quite as invasive as the cone biopsy.You will be under general anesthesia,although some women choose to have a spinal.Since a larger section of tissue is removed for this,you will also have some suture's.It's also recommended that you take it easy for the first four to five day's,and no heavy lifting for four week's after.A couple of people I know have had this procedure and they needed those first few day's to recover.Have you spoken with your doctor about your trip?They can give you an idea on whether or not to change your plan's.There are some ladie's here who have gone through this as well,so you will get some great advice soon!Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Hi Clueless! I've had 2 CKC's - one last December and the second in March. With the first one, I had surgery on Monday (with a D&C), went back to work 1/2 day on Thursday. I should have waited until Friday, but I could have gone on an EASY, RELAXING vacation a week later. I would just with your doctor first, though. You can't pick up anything more than 5-10 pounds for at least a month. Riding in a car for a long distance may be uncomfortable. However, mine really wasn't bad at all...not much pain (I only took pain meds the first day). The only thing I struggled with was taking it easy. With my second cone, I was out of work 3 weeks because I also had 25 pelvic lymph nodes removed, but I still felt pretty good after about a week.

I hope you'll be fine for your trip!

Good luck!

Last edited by ilovesporty; 05-18-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

Clueless3065 HB User

Freesoul and Ilovesporty,

Thank you for your responses to my question. I go into the Drs. office on June 1st for a pre op visit and do intend to ask them at that time about going on vacation.

I just thought I would like some opinions from someone who actually had the procedure done. I'm actually leaning more towards going, just because I'd get more relaxation on vacation than I would at my own home. I have an 8 year old and 2 1/2 year old twins and the resort that we'd be going to would have many activities for them to do.

Take care.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

ktbee HB User

I had a cold knife cone biopsy a few weeks ago. The pain immediately after the surgery was a little intense, but easily alleviated with pain killers (and you should consider the fact that you've delivered children while I haven't YET...so your pain tolerance is surely greater than mine). I was up and walking around San Francisco just the next day. I found that I was REALLY tired in these weeks after the surgery; I don't know if it will be the same for you...it turns out I'm one of the few women who bleed for more than a few days after surgery (I've been bleeding for weeks), so I've become anemic.

Just make sure you get lots of rest. A relaxing vacation after this procedure seems ideal! I hope you have a great time!!

Katie

Closed Thread