It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

runaway0202 HB User
Laser surgery to Vulvar...anyone know about this?

I posted this in Women's Health and did not get any replies. Maybe I posted in wrong section.

Curious to know what to expect with this procedure. I had radiation and chemo back in May 2005 for Anal Squamous Cell cancer. The radiation burns were so incredible in the groin area, was wondering if laser burns would be the same. I have VIN II, and abnormal cells on cervix. Having cone biopsy and laser to the vulvar area in August, all related to HPV.

PLEASE....someone please let me know what to expect....

Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
(female)

ace8484 HB User
Re: Laser surgery to Vulvar...anyone know about this?

I had laser ablation done too, on the vagina and cervix, for moderate dysplasia caused by HPV. I was only 18 at the time (about 4 years ago). It wasn't bad, just a outpatient surgery, I don't remember anything about the day (except a black speculum) due to the anesthesia and sedatives. I remember being really tired for the next day or so. Not much cramping or pain (only over the counter ibuprofen for pain/cramps prevention) Then the funny discharge for several days from the goo they use to stop bleeding that looks like coffee grounds when it comes out. I remember it being painful the first time I had sex afterwards (I only waited 3 weeks, I think the MD said to wait 4-6 weeks).

The laser doesn't burn...It just vaporizes the abnormal cells.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

runaway0202 HB User

Thanks Ace for responding. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person out there that is having the laser surgery done.

Did you have the actual laser done to the Labia/Vulvar area? You mentioned vagina, but that is some where different.

The doctor told me (who is a man, and like he would know ) that it would feel like I got burn from cooking on the stove. I can only imagine what that would feel like on one of the most sensitive parts of the body. It hurts like mad when you burn your hand, let alone down there

I had a cone biopsy over 20 years ago, and I am having another done the same day as the laser. So I can somewhat remember the coffee ground effect too. But this whole laser thing is freakin me out.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

88Shadow HB User

You might do an internet search for other web sites that deal with your specific issue. Though what you're facing is rare, there are others going through the same thing. I thought earlier this year that I might have vulvar cancer due to a lump I found but it turned out to be a simple sweat gland issue (thank God!). While researching I did find sites that offer specific support for this but we're not allowed to post links on this forum. Best of luck to you and I hope this treatment solves the problem!

Old 07-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

ace8484 HB User

My laser ablation was done on the inside of my vagina on the wall, and on the cervix to get rid of HPV/abnormal cells. The biopsy hurt more during/afterward than my laser procedure did.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

I second the post by 88 shadow. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Okay, so I went through some information. I'm not sure how the laser will compare to the radiation burns, however the women who have talked about this do say it burns. I saw lots of recommendations for cool pads, lidocaine jelly, using a blow dryer on cool to dry the area, avoiding underwear or anything constricting in that area, like wear a skirt so you don't have the crotch of the pants rubbing against the area to irritate it. As far as the cool pads go, I think there are some commercial ones, you can also put some water on some maxi pads and stick them in the freezer that might be more economical. I don't have any personal experience with laser, but I do remember with my episiotomies that tea bags that had been steeped in cool water were also helpful to ease the area and calm some itching as the tissue was healing. One thing the gals all mentioned was being off work for awhile - I hope you are planning on this too?

I'm sorry that I can't be much more help than this. I am so sorry that you are facing this especially after going through chemo/radiation for anal cancer not that long ago. If I find any more information I will be sure to post it for you.

Last edited by karen32; 07-08-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
(female)

runaway0202 HB User

Thanks for the well wishes and the research that you have done. I have also done a little poking around, but was hoping to get some first hand info.

I do plan on taking off atleast 10 days or more if needed. I have read that the pain can be severe for awhile, and I am just curious to know for how long. I am a need to know person, and as bad as news can be, I just need to hear it.

I guess my biggest problem is, I don't like the Gyno/Onco that I am seeing. Unfortunately he is the only one in the area (and he is kind of out of my area), so I feel like I am stuck with this irrogant fool !!!!

Does anyone know, if any cells can be tested when removed by laser?

Thanks to all for the support!

Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
(female)

ace8484 HB User

Unfortunately the laser completely destroys the cells.

Closed Thread