It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

tealdreams HB User
Question microinvasive cervical cancer

I'm looking for anyone that may have any similar experience as me, or resources for me to check out about my specific case. Natural remedies are very much welcomed, but I donít think this site deals too much with the natural side of cancer cures, but I could be wrong.

In December I had an abnormal pap and got the biopsy. It showed high grade dysplasia. I tried to find a naturopath to treat it naturally. The naturopath I chose turned out to be useless and wasted my time. Without wanting to put it off too long I got the LEEP 2 weeks ago. My results came back as micro invasive cancer and they recommended I get a cone biopsy as a treatment/diagnosis. They scheduled this for October 31st.

My questions are these:

1) Has anyone been diagnosed with micro invasive cervical cancer, and what is the technical term for it? Is that the technical term? (I've seen people write stuff about CIN III and donít know what all the terms stand for)

2) Does anyone know what the likelihood of this stage of cancer to be completely taken out by a cone biopsy? I am only 26 years old and still would like to have children and do not want a hysterectomy. I am finding a lot of information about cone biopsy's eliminating dysplasia but cannot find much about it being a cure for cancer. Has anyone had a similar experience as mine?

3) They scheduled my cone biopsy for October 31st which is 1 1/2 months away. Considering I went from a clean PAP in April of last year to cancer 1 year and 4 months later, does that seem like too long of a time to wait to get the cone biopsy?

4) Does anyone have any natural suggestions at all as to what I can do to make sure this does not spread from now until then? Iím cutting out all sugar from my diet including breads and am taking supplements of vit C, folic acid, indole-3-carbinol and fish oils. I have a very weak immune system (low neutrophil production) which is, in my opinion, the reason this has progress so fast

any help, information, suggestions or refferals would be greatly appreciated! thanks all and i wish you all the best of luck with your specific cases

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User
Re: microinvasive cervical cancer

I seem to be doing alot of posting, huh? I had the cone biopsy 11 days ago as "treatment" for my carcinoma in situ, CIN III, microinvasive cancer...whatever term du jour, but all the same. It was not successful in removing all of the cells. I still have level II and III in the remaining portion of my cervix (only about 10%) and now need to make some decisions. From everything I have read, and in talking with many people who have had a similar diagnosis, hysterectomy is the normal course at this stage. Your doctor is obviously being conservative as was mine. She is not a big proponent of hysterectomy and understandably so. She was very confident that she could remove all of the diseased tissue with the cone, but unfortunately wrong. Your case may be different and he will remove it all with this procedure. Why pull out a machine gun if a hand gun will do the job?...especially with your desire to have children.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
(female)

tealdreams HB User

Thanks for posting Sharon. I read your post but again, was not aware that CIN III was the same thing as microinvasive...and carsinoma in situ. why do they make this difficult time even more difficult with all this technical jargon!?

anyone else with this same experience with a cone biopsy? i guess im looking for the ray of light of someine in the same situation coming out clean with just the cone...if that exists

Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

Just google any of the terms...most of the cancer websites can clarify them for you and most state that they are all basically the same thing. I did not mean to scare you...I know several women who were treated successfully with the cone biopsy, some recently, some many, many years ago with no recurrence. I just happen to be unfortunate in that I (a) have a very aggressive strain or (b) have a doctor who underestimated what she was dealing with or (c) had bad pathology during the initial biopsies. In any event, I know what I am dealing with, I have done all that I can right now and if hysterectomy is the next logical step, then I am on board. Better than the alternative. The cone is used very, very often as a treatment method and it would not be if it was not successful!! You are going to be just fine, as am I. We are the lucky ones!!

Old 08-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

No, microinvasive isn't the same as carcinoma in situ. CIS is *not* invasive. It is confined to the upper (epithelial) layers of the cervix. Microinvasive cancer has invaded the tissue below it, but only by a few millimeters.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

tealdreams HB User

thanks timber, thats what i though. my doctor described it as cancer and all the research ive done is showing that it is different than CIN III and carcinoma in situ since they are not quite at the cancer stage.

as an update, my doctor called today to say that they moved some people around to get me in sooner for my cone biopsy. it is now on September 12th instead of October 31st. im relieved that i will get it over with sooner, but it also makes me nervous that they felt it was important to move other people to get me in quicker.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

Timber -

Now I am afraid. I was told that I had CIN III and also carcinoma in situ (depending on who I spoke to) after a round of punch biopsies. I had a cone biopsy done 12 days ago which they said came back with what they term as microinvasive cells and the biopsies of the remaining portion of my cervix still contained the CIN III and CIN II "to the edges". I asked what the difference was and they told me it was all basically the same, but that I did not have cervical cancer by definition. Apparently, it must become invasive to be termed "cervical cancer". Everything I had, although referred to by all of these different terms was contained to the cervix...still is, I guess...and they told me that the terms were interchangeable. Am I being lied to?? Should I worry?? I will be having much follow up and more "treatment" over the course of the next few months, so I guess it really doesn't matter what they call it, as long as they get it out.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

For tealdreams...

That still seems like such a long time to wait if they are saying you have cancer. I was scheduled within two weeks of the first biopsy (and only because I needed a Friday or it would have been 8 days) and they only thought I had the carcinoma in situ or CIN III. And apparently, that first pathology was wrong or I have an agressive strain because the cone biopsy came back much worse than what they thought initially. I don't mean to scare you, but that worries me. I can't understand any of these doctors. "You have cancer, so we'll see you in a month!!??" Talk about torture! I am reading story after story of women who are going through much more than they ever needed to and it seems to be because of the doctors. Well, my prayers are with you. The good news is that even if it progresses, it is still very early, so I know you will be fine.... I'm going to check in after the 12th to see how you are doing, so look for me here!!

Sharon

Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

tealdreams HB User

thank you sharon,

the reason they are waiting so long is because i just had my LEEP and they wanted me to heal from that before i got the cone. but even so i think that getting rid of the cancer is more important than letting the LEEP heal.

did you know that doctors are the number two cause of death in america right now? the medical system is crazy and i would be treating this 100% naturally if i didnt have such a weak immune system (benign lukopenia) and am still doing natural treatments, but i figure at this point i need it taken out and then repair everything else that is wrong with my body....start over....

thanks again for your kind and encouraging words sharon. i would call your doctor if i were you and talk to her about all of the terms.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Don't be too afraid. Microinvasive cancer is still highly treatable because it hasn't spread to any surrounding organs.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdreams
did you know that doctors are the number two cause of death in america right now?
Where did you hear that? It's not true at all. The top 4 causes of death in the States are heart disease, cancer, stroke and COPD.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

I looked at the article and I believe it. We buried my Grandma three weeks ago. She died of ovarian cancer and shouldn't have died so soon. She went to her doctor at the first sign of symptoms...feeling of fullness, fatigue, abdominal pain and was dismissed time and time again. We took her every month because things were getting worse and still he dismissed her...told her to take pepcid and eat more...the poor woman couldn't eat. He did no tests. By the time we got the diagnosis 18 months later (from an ER doctor mind you), she was so weak that any form of treatment was out of the question. I realize that ovarian cancer in the later stages is a death sentence, but had she been diagnosed when all of this started, she may have been able to spend a few more years with us. She died of malnutrition and dehydration, not the cancer. It had only just spread to the stomach and liver, but at 65lbs and the condition she was in...her oncologist couldn't do anything for her. They drained the fluid and put a port in for nourishment, but it was all too little, too late. She was at the point of no return. I believe that her doctor killed her. She was 85 years old, but had you met her you would have never believed it. She didn't look it and she was sooo active. She delivered meals every day to people 20 years younger than she was. Never took a pill or was ever hospitalized prior to this. She was strong and had they caught this, I would have been able to call her tonight. Sucks!! That is what worries me about my doctors. You so want to trust them, but the bottom line is that they are human...and we make mistakes.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

No I didn't list the top four disease deaths. I listed the top four causes of death, period. Non-disease deaths are on that list.

I looked at the article you linked and I'm sorry but that's not a trustworthy source. Not everything published on the internet is true. I couldn't find any evidence of this claim in any reputable journals or peer-reviewed studies and I am not inclined to believe a random guy's speculation. I don't deny that medical mistakes cause a huge number of deaths, but I don't believe that it's the third cause of death.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

Timber -

Your response seems so tinged with anger. I believe there is more doctor error than we know on a daily basis that leads to many unnecessary deaths. The number one reason I got on line to find some sort of resources in dealing with my situation is because I work with a woman whose daughter died at 34 yrs old of cervical cancer, leaving behind a 4year old daughter and 2 year old son. They treated her twice with cryotherapy for what they said was simply moderate dysplasia and sent her on her way...she died 16 months after the second procedure. Many trips to the doctor and no one ever looked for cancer...even with the history. They treated her for reflux, ulcers, irritable bowel...meanwhile the cancer was ravaging her body. I do not want that to be me. I, too, have two children and a wonderful husband that I am not ready to leave because my doctor doesn't believe in hysterectomy. From level 2 to dead in a little over a year is very scary...and read above about the hell we just lived through with my grandma. I don't know if you have ever held someone as they died, but it is the hardest thing I ever had to do. I think we need to be our own doctors, insist on the best treatment and not put our health in the hands of one human being.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
(female)

DOS1973 HB User

Real quick post...I was dx'd with CIN III 12 years ago, had the cone biopsy and results came back as microinvasive cancer. To this day I have not had a reoccurance of any kind and my paps (every 6months to a year) continue to come back clean.

There is a ray of hope, good luck to you and best wishes!

Closed Thread