It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

tnwhorselover HB User
Lightbulb Need advice to help friend

I have 2 friends with cervical cancer and one is 19 and she is so scared and I don't know how to help her, all she does is cry and feel bad for herself and I try and cheer he up and make her happy but nothing I do works. Her boyfriend right now just doesn't care so I gave her the advice to leave him and suround herself with people that love and care about her. She hasn't gone through any surgurys yet but I just don't know how to help her, please give me advice.
My other friend that has cervical cancer she is 20 and she acts like nothing is wrong she lets me know when she's going in to normail cycle of surgury.
I don't know how to help them or how to be there for them, please anyone. help. thanks
Tricia

Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Need advice to help friend

Hi Tricia, I'm sorry that your friends are going through this at such a young age. It sucks for anyone, but especially those women who are younger.

I encourage you (and your friends) to take this chance to get more information about cervical cell changes. I am wondering if your friends may be dealing with cervical pre-cancer versus cervical cancer. Invasive cervical cancer is actually less common in any age woman, but pre-cancer is quite common (as you can see if you read through the forum here). The best thing your friends can do is get copies of their pap reports and colposcopy and biopsy reports (if they have had this done). The pap report will tell them what level of cell changes they are dealing with and then they can research these terms online. Of course, they can also sit down with their doctors and demand more information as well

The best thing that you can do as a friend, is to listen when they need you to listen. Encourage them to find out more information about what is happening with their bodies. Offer to accompany them to an appointment if they feel like they need someone to go along with them.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck to your friends! I really hope it is pre-cancer they are dealing with and easily taken care of.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread