It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

emmababe HB User
Exclamation dermoid cyst - is it cancerous?

ive been diagnosed with a dermoid cyst on my right ovary, im in alot of pain with it and my periods have stopped, havent had any in over 10 months and b4 that only 2 over the year.

since the cyst was discovered everything has been rushed through and im having it removed in afew weeks time. they havent said if they think its cancerous or not, although the 'c' word has come up. but obviously its on my mind, especially as they seem to be rushing it. im only 22 and getting scared as i do have other symptoms.

have any of you had dermoids and have they been ok? id like some reassurance!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

TLValiant HB User
Re: dermoid cyst - is it cancerous?

Emma,

I have recently had a dermoid removed. I started getting pain in my ovary because apparently it had started twisting. Did they say how large the cyst was? The reason they want to take it out is because it will not go away and the larger it gets the more likely the cyst will torse, or turn, cutting off the blood to the ovary. Once this occurs that is when you have problems.

I know you are worried hon, I was when I was diagnosed as well. I will tell you this, 98 percent of dermoids are non cancerous. If there is any slight chance, they will do a biopsy right then and there. My doctor told me once she got it out there was no doubt it was a dermoid, it even had hair in it...

If you have any questions at all, please talk to your doctor. I asked mine everything, the worse case scenario, etc. Since I am young, 35 yrs old I had less chance of mine being cancer. Since you are even younger than I am, then I would say it is a very good chance it is not, but I would speak to your doctor for more information.

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

emmababe HB User

thanks for replying hun, it means alot.

i think they said it was about 5cm so only small, but its causing me alot of pain.

if you dont mind me asking, how big was yours and how did u have urs removed, was it open surgery or keyhole? and how was ur recovery?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Too Sweet 74 HB User

Hi Emma ,
I very much understand how you are feeling. I had a dermoid cyst removed Nov/2004 when I was 39. My doc discovered it during my regular exam, it was huge. Visibly making my abdomen bulge in certain positions.It could "hide" too as big as it was. I had a CT done and it was possibly 8CM wide !!! It was huge !!! I didn't have any real pain with it was the weird thing. It would get uncomfortable now and then, kind of feel like something was twisting. It made me need to go to the bathroom because of where it rested, like being pregnant. I went thru the process quickly too. My bloodtest came back with a score of 80 something. Nothing big,Still worried me that it was up at all. I was assured by the cancer society rep I called that the numbers have to do with the size of the mass too. Made me feel better. She said that the count was low for the size of the cyst. Two weeks later I had my surgery done. Given the size of this thing and not know for sure what it was I had a C-section type incision at the bikini line. The doc thought it may have been a teratoma at first (he said they could even have teeth in them !!) .They did the surgery and found that this thing had GROWN since the CT.(I had a steroid treatment prior and the doc thinks that is what made it grow so big) It was 10 CM wide and weighed in at a pound. So it was the size of a newborn's head. They removed my right ovary along with it and checked out everything in my abdomen to make sure I had nothing else going on and there wasn't . Thank God. I got lucky.It wasn't cancerous. I was in the hospital for 5 days. Just like with having my babies with the C-sections. The cyst didn't affect my periods at all. You'd think it should have given it's size ect.
When I was your age before I had my boys I had VERY irregular periods, I even went almost a year without one too like you did. I'd get sharp pains at ovulation and came to find out I had small cysts later on after I had my first son. After each son I had my periods become more regular. weird I know but that is what happened.
Like Terry , I asked my docs everything. Drove them nuts probably but I needed to know . So ask lots of questions about everything. What other things are going on symptom wise? Call the cancer center near you and ask them about things too. See if you have had all the tests you need too. They understand your fear all too well too. You are very young and that is in your favor. Get the info to ease your mind . They helped me understand the tests.I have a neice about your age and would want her to do the same. I wish the best for you . Take care, Big hug, Sherri

Old 09-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Mine was about the same size as yours actually 4.6 cm by the time it was all said and done. I actually had the laprascopy or keyhole surgery. I ended up staying overnight only because I had a reaction to the anethesia. Also the doctor accidentally cut a vessel and so I stayed out of work for three weeks due to abdominal pain and bruising. It took longer for me to recover from the complications than from the actual surgery. I am doing great now and only have four little incisions instead of the one big incision Sherri had.

Please go ask your doctor if you have any questions or concern.

Terry

Closed Thread