It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
(female)

steph789 HB User
Angry How long should test results take?

I was just wondering what is a reasonable amount of time to wait to get results back from a doctor. I went to Planned Parenthood after being referred from the health department for a colposcopy and biopsy. They also did an ECC. When I left the office, they told me it would take 2 weeks to get the results and they would call me. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard from them, so I call and now the front desk person said it will take 4 to 5 weeks! Isn't that an outrageous amount of time to make a person wait? They told me at the appointment that the abnormal spots looked very mild and I probably won't need treatment, but I have to wait to get the biopsy back to be sure. I have already been waiting 2 weeks, now I have to wait more? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: How long should test results take?

Steph,

I had a colo/bio/ecc done on August 24 and my Doctor called today (Sept 11) with the results. My Doctor always says results in 2 weeks, but it's usually about 2-3 weeks before I hear from them. 4-5 weeks seems like much too long to wait for me, but I have heard others talk on this board about waiting that long. Maybe call and ask to speak the Doctor or Nurse that you saw. They may be able to tell you why it's now taking longer to get the results then you were orginally told? Hopefully that will help you put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Sugarhi16; 09-11-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

The front desk person might just use that as a standard answer whenever anyone calls for test results. I was told this too when I called for ECC results from the gyn. 4 to 5 weeks. Well, my family doc had it in two weeks - which I only knew about because I phoned him. The gyn's office finally phoned me 2 whole months later with the results. No longer my gyn... I agree with sugarhi, call and ask to speak to the doctor or the nurse

Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

wishing_well HB User

I just had a biopsy done 09/11/06 and my doctor told me that he will get the results on Friday! Two weeks should be at the max time to get results in. You should call them over and over and over again until you get those results. BAD BUSINESS! You also might want to find another doctor. I've heard that offices will not report the results to the patient if it comes out normal, so you may be very lucky!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
(female)

steph789 HB User

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I am very frustrated! As you all know, the worst part is the waiting. I feel like I am just a statistic and they don't really care, but since it's my health, I do care! I don't know the doctor at all and I am only going there because I don't have insurance. Maybe if I paid out of pocket I could have found a better doctor? Either way, I will keep calling until I get my results and I probably won't be going back. If I need further treatment, I will find a different doctor.

Closed Thread