It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
(female)

deekeedee HB User
New to board and worried (Military docs/techs)

Ladies,

I've been reading posts like crazy and have some questions. I had a PAP in August that came back "abnormal" but the HPV came back negative so I go back in 6 months for another PAP and they will go in deeper to get more cells (apparently not enough cells on the last one)---BTW...I've never given birth but have 4 children through adoption. Anyway, had a mammagram last week and all is good with that. Friday (yesterday), I had a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound and I was told be the tech to be sure to follow up with my doc next week.

My concern is that I had pain with the transvaginal (very, very uncomfortable) and the techs made sure they measured something...they also used color and the pulse thingy. I didn't realize that PAP's did not check for ovarian cancer...anyway, I'm scared and concerned. Any advice on questions to be sure to ask the doc next week is welcome.

Dina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
(female)

wishing_well HB User
Re: New to board and worried (Military docs/techs)

Hello. I'm not knowledgable on the transvaginal exams, but as far as your PAP results- There are many reasons why it may come back abnormal. The fact that you do not have HPV is WONDERFUL! They might have gotten a bad smear , picked up an infection, or inflamation. The pap is a tool they use to detect cervical cell changes. The only known cause of cervical cancer is HPV, so you can rest assured that you do not have cervical cancer. and even if you do have HPV. Most go away on it's own. Only a few women with HPV will progress to cervical cancer. Ask your doctor exactly what appeared on the pap results. then you can take that information and research it. Be proactive about your health. Education is the key. Obtain a copy of all your test results write down your questions so you don't forget it like me when you go see your doctor. I hope this helps you out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread