It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Blood test - CA125 and cyst

Hi

I had an ultrasound last week and it picked up a large cyst on my left ovary, i was originally told that nothing needs to be done and they will follow it up in 6 weeks with another ultrasound. Then i had a CT scan to look at the cyst in more detail and the same decision was made

I have just had a bowel resection and having problems so i contacted my gastroentreologist, he looked at the CT report and i have just been told i need to have a blood test done asap........CA125, which helps to confirm or rule out ovarian cancer.

I am now worried, i can't understand why it has gone from leaving it six weeks on the judgement of the Ultrasound and CT scan report to having this urgent blood work done? I have to go on monday to have the bloods done.

Any advice or anyone with a similar experience please?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Blood test - CA125 and cyst

Sharon,
It is not an urgent blood test to do but it is always good to have the C marker test done to determine if you have cancer--- I think if the Doctors were really worried they would do a PET scan.
As you can guess I have never had this blood test done but many others for cancer.

God Bless~~~Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Sharon as soon as the cyst on my ovary that had ruptured and stuck to my bowel was found I was hospitalized and had to have that blood test immediately. It came back fine. I think it's just done as a precaution when something like that is found. I was scared too because things were moving so fast until the blood work came back fine then I had to wait in the hospital for 3 weeks until I could have surgery. I know its extremely hard to do but try not to worry to much or you'll end up with more problems from the crohns.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi HArry and twisten

Thank you for the replies. I have actually had the blood test done, the hospital said they would prefer if i could go today and have it so i went late this afternoon. So, now it is just sitting back and waiting. They should have the results by monday, so if i don't hear anything i would assume that is good news.

Either way i have decided to have this cyst removed, it is big and shouldn't be there so they can take it out or drain it.

Part of me doesn't think it is anything serious but yet another part of me does, i had an abnormal smear test result last year and had to have treatment for it, so that is why i am worried about this blood test result now.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Harry.........what is a PET scan???

Old 10-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sharon,

A PET scan is a Positron Emission Tomography -- Imaging Test. It scans the body for cancer, changes in cancer and is also used to test the functioning of some organs like the heart.

A short lived radioactive isotope -- I think Iodine is IV'ed injected while a cyclotron machine scans your body. The scan takes about 4 to 5 hours.

I have known friends that have had shadows on their lung and other tests were not positive it was cancer (only 60%) in determine if and how much it had spread -- and a PET scan was used to determine that the cancer had spread to the regional lymph nodes.

You can do a google serach and become alot more educated.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Sharon I will be praying that all turns out normal for you, I am so sorry that you are having all this going on.

I hope you will be fine, take care ...Mandy

Old 10-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
(female)

westllen HB User

Sharon, in 1987 I had a mass on my ovary, unfortunately they didn't have the CA125 blood test. Glad you had yours. Had the surgery, turned out to be a Pysdeocystadenomacarcinoma. But I WAS lucky. I didn't have any problems until about 1996, I ended up with a hysterectomy. The cancer had recurred in the uterus.

There are so many new ways to help detect cancer these days. Listen to your body. If you aren't satisfied with what a doctor says seek another opinion. I have found I am the best in gauging what is good for me.

Keep me posted. I wish you well.

Jane

Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

christyw HB User

Hi there ! i just found out about a month ago i had a mass the size of a babys head on my right ovary.They did a CA 125. My dr. told me that only sometimes the test will show the cancer gene.That is a good tool to use but not a prof postive blood test. My dr. told me that sometimes it show and in other cases it did not. That the test is not always right. Yes you should still do the test. Go to a female cancer dr. you will get better care on that cyst.Good luck and take care. Christyw

Old 11-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
(female)

ryrich HB User

CA125 can only be done prior to surgery to be useful???, it can be used as a tumor marker, but lots of people don't have a elevated CA125 which is anything over 35, Mine was done after a biopsy telling me I already had cancer, mine was"365" so guess what they take it every 3 months , There are so many people with uterine cancer that had a normal CA125. It is not reliable, just one of the tools, the doctors told me there are false negatives, false positives, STUPID TEST. Good Luck to you, always ask questions!!!
Cheri

Closed Thread