It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

fairydust7 HB User
good news I think, but also confused

I called my gyn clinic today to see if they had my colposcopy report back yet. They did and the receptionist (also a nurse) told me that all 4 biopsies came back normal. She told me that of course she's not the doctor and he'll be able to read my report better than her, but from what she sees there's absolutely nothing bad on my biopsies. Which I'm so glad, I told her I've been really really scared that it would come back with bad news and she told me that they would have been knocking down my door if there had been antyhing bad.

I asked her what does the doctor usually do and she said at the minimum he'll have me come back in 6 months for another pap and at the maximum he'll most likely suggest doing a cryo-freeze or leep. After reading on the cryo-freeze and some stories here I know I will not allow a cryo-freeze if he wants to remove the infected areas still.

What I'm confused on though is why would my pap smear come back HSIL with HPV and yet my biopsies are normal? Is it that my infection and cell changes are just on the surface? Obviously I'll be asking my doctor next week this question, but I'm just wondering if anyone else here has had the same thing happen or might know.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

JC in CA HB User
Re: good news I think, but also confused

Fairydust-
I am in about the same place as you. I had my 2nd colposcopy 2 weeks ago (1st colposcopy came back fine 6 months ago, then an abnormal pap again- so another colposcopy)- got the result last week- Dr had taken 2 biopsies-both were fine. I talked to my Dr. on Friday. She explained that the pathologist looked at my abnormal pap- and compared the cells to the biopsy- and found the same type of cells. The dr. thinks that since I had a polyp (sp?) growing- but was not visible to her- at the pap- this might have been what made the pap abnormal. The dr. told me to come and see her in 6 months for another pap and we will see. She was very encouraging and really feels that everything will be fine.
Talk to your Doctor for a thorough explanation- I'm glad that I did!
-JC in CA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
(female)

msremi HB User

When I had my first abnormal pap (ASCUS), the coposcopy reports came back normal. Six months later when I had another pap it read (LGSIL) so another colposcopy was done and the results were again normal. This sounded good to me, however, my doctor did not like this. She believed these cells were coming from somewhere so I had a LEEP in January which found CINII. At this point the pathologist could not determine whether these cells came from the endo or ecto cervical area. My margins were not clear either so this will take some time to resolve.

I am comfortable with my doctor's more aggresive approach. Just make sure to ask questions about the different possibilities from the results you have received.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

thanks ladies! I will definitely be asking my doctor this same question next week and I'm going to ask for a copy of my colposcopy report as someone else here told me to do previously.

Closed Thread