It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
(male)

MG111 HB User
Ovarian Cancer anybody got ideas?

Hey guys. I am new to this board, actually this is my first post. I will give you a little history, and present a problem and see if anyone has any ideas that can possibly help. My mom is now going through chemo therapy for ovarian cancer now for the third time. Our family found out about the cancer about three years ago, and it has come back every year at the longest. The first time was very major, I think she was stage 3. She got a hernia (may be mispelled ) and they found it when she got it fixed, thank god. Long story short she has had 3 surgeries in the past 3 years, and it is coming back again, after only like 2 months after her latest surgery. She is now letting it get into her head, which i can't blame her, and she seems very depressed and looking like she may start losing hope. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or resources that I could recommend in order for her to start feeling a little better. It is really hard for me because me and her have a very special mother-son relationship and I am finishing my last semester of college, so I am not able to be home all the time. Anything that helped anybody else to keep hope and keep your spirits, please give me some ideas. My entire family is very supportive, but it seems like she is just so damn scared, which I don't blame her.

Recently after this surgery, she is having very bad stomach pains everytime she eats or drinks. She always gets sick after she drinks fluids, so it is very hard for her to stay hydrated. Everytime she sees a doctor they just say it is either scar tissue or the cancer, and nobody seems to really help her. She is going back to the surgeon to try and find out what is going on, but does anybody know anything about that or have any suggestions that I can relay to her to ask more specific questions to the doctors in order to get a better diagnosis?

Sorry about the length of this message, but I would really appreciate any help or input that anybody could give me.

Thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Ovarian Cancer anybody got ideas?

I am so sorry your mom is going through this. I don't have alot of knowledge about ovarian cancer, unfortunately. I'm wondering if you contact your local branch of your cancer society if they might be able to recommend a support group or other resources? I'm sorry I can't be of much more help. My thoughts are with you and your mom.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer 2 years ago. I am still working on beating it but I have found few things that worked for me. For me, the Hormone replacement therapy was fueling my cancers growth. So about a year ago I quit taking any form of HRT and I havn't had my cancer grow any larger since then. But it isn't gone either. It just isn't progressing right now.

I have tried 4 different chemo drugs and none of them worked for me. They had told us that Radiation wasn't typically very successful with Ovarian cancer. But we decided to try it and so far that is the only method of treatment that has reduced the size of any of my cancer masses.

As for your mothers stomach, is she currently recieving chemo? Has she tried any special nausea pills, such as emend? I know you said she had a painful tummy but maybe that would help. I have also had a lot of problems with my stomach during and after chemo and radiation. I recently found something that helps me. It sounds really odd but I promise it works. buy some ginger root at the grocery store. Cut it into about 10 1 inch cubes little cubes. cook/boil it with a pitcher worth of water. remove the chunks. The water has the ginger in it now and I add a pouch of apple cider to make it taste better. Ginger is known to have a healing effect on the stomach.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck with your mother.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
(male)

MG111 HB User

Thank you guys both for your help. I am going to recommend these things to my mom. As for the radiaton treatment, I don't know if she is going to try it, she is on the 3rd chemo drug and it seems to be working in the short term, but they keep on coming back, so the key is trying to figure out what will work on the long term. I will definitely reccomend the ginger idea and see how it works. Your input means sooo much to me, thank you!

As for your situation I hope that you begin to see some results, and you will be in my prayers. The same thing I tell my mom, stay strong and you can beat this. I really hope the best for you, and I mean that with all of my heart.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

dc2006 HB User

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your mom. This is a long shot, but my aunt nearly died from dehydration after she basically quit eating or drinking anything because of intense stomach pain. For a year, it went undiagnosed and then they finally found a blood clot in her stomach -- i think it was called ischemia? I don't know much about it so it probably is unrelated, but it might be something worth asking her doctor about. good luck...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
(male)

liverock HB User

More good news about ginger and ovarian cancer.

Full report at:[url]http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2006/ginger.htm[/url]

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: no copying & pasting

Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
(male)

MG111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
More good news about ginger and ovarian cancer.

Full report at:[url]http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2006/ginger.htm[/url]

Thank you soo much, that sounds real promising. I am definitely going to relay this to my mom and try to look more into the ginger. It definitely is worth a shot, anything is at this point!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
(male)

liverock HB User

Here are a few other suggestions which may be helpful.

Get your Mothers Vitamin D levels checked by her doctor. Research on population studies show OC sufferers have lower levels than normal. In the meantime getting as much sun as possible will help boost her levels.

Eating 3 Brazil nuts a day will provide selenium which is a cancer fighter, as well as drinking green tea which contain polyphenols, another cancer fighter.

Check out these supplements with her doctor, which in studies have shown help for OC patients. You will probably have to dig out the info off the net to give to the doctor. Most doctors seem unaware of any research except drugs.

Melatonin- a hormone shown to help OC as well as breast cancer sufferers.

Ginkgo Biloba- a herb which appears to stop OC cells growing according to a study done by Brigham &Womens Hospital, Boston

DIM-diindolylmethane. Cuts down on the unhealthy parts of estrogen causing
the cancer cells. Found in foods such as brussel sprouts, cauliflower and kali.

And finally most importantly of all keep praying. God can do more than we can ever hope to.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

It is interesting that liverock mentioned almost every pill I am taking or have recently looked into to taking. I take the ginger, melatonin and vitamin D plus a few others. I had tried 4 different chemos over the last 2 years with no promising results. They had actually told me to get my "affairs in order" last summer and now they can't believe how well I am doing. Of course my chemo doctor is the most amazed, I don't think he knows about any of the natural remedies nor does he believe in them.

good luck!!

Closed Thread