It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

Alesis HB User
Burning sensation in pelvis?

Hello everyone:

I was wondering if anyone out there with Ovarian Cancer had a burning sensation in your pelvic area, particularly after you urinate. I've never seen this listed as a symptom and I was wondering if any of you had it.

I've had several of the symptoms of ovarian cancer, plus the above-mentioned symptom on and off for awhile now, and I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to discuss them, amongst other things. Although I realise that the symptoms are rather generic and can be for many different diseases (plus the fact that I'm 29), I do want to have this checked out.

Thanks,

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 03-01-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: Burning sensation in pelvis?

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 2 years ago. I have never experianced any burning except before I had cancer and I had a bladder infection. But everyone reacts a little different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sharon7270 HB User

I have had first hand experience with ovrian cancer...my Grandma died from it last July. Burning while you pee is not a symptom. That is a urinary tract infection. Out of curiousity, what are the several other symptms you have had?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

Alesis HB User

Thank you both for your replies. Sorry to hear about what you went through.

My symptoms, which are recurrent, include:

Vague lower abdominal discomfort (two locations on the left hand side including one in the pelvic area)
Weight gain
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Occasional lower back pain
Increased abdominal girth
Increased gas
Indigestion
Nausea
Bloating
Increased urinary frequency / urgency
Excessive hair growth

I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Symdrome and Irritible Bowel Syndrome, which can account for a lot of these symtpoms, but I would like to rule out the possibility of Ovarian Cancer.

The burning sensation occurs after I urinate, not when I urinate (and it's not always a burning sensation...sometimes it's a vague pain)

I am going to see a gyn and have a female exam in a few weeks, which is the earliest they could get me in.

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 03-04-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

Alesis HB User

I also would like to add that I sometimes get the pelvic pain when I do get my menses.

In fact, I had the pain today when I got my menses. I also experienced lower back pain. All the pain was on the left hand side.

A.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

Alesis HB User

Didn't get a full menses...just spotting again

Anyone else have the symptoms I mentioned, particularly the pelvic pain? I would also like to mention that a lot of the time it's not a burning sensation, just a generic pain.

Thanks,

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 03-12-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

fairydust7 HB User

the pain on the left side, is it right where your left ovary would be? could it be colon spasms? I've been having pains off and on right there since mid Dec, somedays I don't have it, other days its all day long off and on. my gyn doctor wrote it off as colon spasms. my primary care doctor has ordered me an ultrasound and a lower abdominal x-ray because she didn't feel it should just be waved off like the way he did. she also put me on birth control because my periods are irregular and i've had some spotting a couple of times. since going on it two weeks ago, the pain is gone. so i think my pain is my ovary, but won't know until i have my ultrasound on the 19th. but if you have IBS, it could be colon spasms too. I would definitely push to have testing done to make sure its not your ovaries though.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I have multi cyst on both ovaries. They can flare up and cause the symptoms that you are describing. I was given birth control to help with the cyst. After a few years I had to switch the BC pills cause my body became use to them and the pains came back.

It can still be a bladder infection even though the pain is when you finish urination.

Some of the things you describe are the signs of Endometriosis. Heavy periods
Excessive menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea)
Pain after sexual activity (dyspareunia)
Severe pelvic pain - note that pain is a poor indicator of disease severity
Pelvic pain between periods
Abnormal vaginal bleeding
Bleeding between periods
Intestinal pain - less common
Lower back pain
Leg pain
Digestive symptoms - can occur in some cases
Diarrhea
Constipation
Painful defecation
Rectal pain
Abdominal bloating
Pain with flatulence

It's best to have your doctor tell you what is wrong as there are so many things that have the same signs.

Jenteal

Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
(female)

Alesis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydust7 View Post
the pain on the left side, is it right where your left ovary would be?
Thank you both for your replies.

I believe it's in the area of my left ovary.

Regarding endometriosis: I'll talk to my gyn about that. I have tried BC pills and can't take them because they aggravate my anxiety. I've tried several different types, including the patch and had the same effect every time.

It says "pelvic pain between periods" but I wonder if pain during or around the time of the periods is a symptom as well.

My menstrual cramps can be quite painful; I wonder what they consider "excessive"...And my pelvic pains are not extreme...just annoying.

I'll see what the gyn says when I go there.

Thanks again,

A.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
(female)

Alesis HB User
saw my gyn today...

I saw my gyn today and I figured I'd let you know what she said.

She did my pelvic exam and didn't see anything. Because she knew I was concerned about my symptoms, and because she "couldn't see much" or "couldn't see anything", she's having me go for a trans-vaginal ultrasound April 5th.

She also told me that she thought I was having my period, as she saw blood when she looked inside, but I just had spotting two weeks ago in place of my period (just like I did the month before). She told me that the PCOS can cause "funky bleeding" and left it at that. And there's absolutely no way I can be pregnant.

She told me that cancer doesn't cause pain, but everything I've read is to the contrary, at least when it comes to ovarian cancer.

I guess I'll know what's up after I have my ultrasound. Wish me luck!

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 03-23-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
(female)

Alesis HB User

Now I'm freaking out. I got a call from my endrocrinologist, who said that my labs were normal and that my abnormal periods are not being caused by my PCOS. He advised me that I should talk to my gyn and that he really wants to see her report. Since this was a voicemail and he didn't leave a number to call him back on, I had no way of letting him know that I will be having the U/S next week.

What's even stranger is that my former PCP's office received the labs in the mail from my endo and proactively called me in because "the doctor wanted me to come in for a physical"...doesn't that sound odd to you??? Not because it was my former PCP (the endo just didn't have the updated info) but because she proactively called me in and I dropped her cause she usually did diddly squat for me.

I hope to GOD it's not cancer. I know it's rare at my age, but it can still happen...

I know that some of the psych meds I used to be on can cause messed up menstrual cycles, but I've been on different ones for over a year now.

I've looked up different causes of abnormal menstrual cycles, but I don't fit the profile of any of them. I'm still having the abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue and the diahrrea, too.

The gyn is going to give me my results right after my test which is nice, but I'm a little scared at the same time.

Last edited by Alesis; 03-28-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
(female)

krazykitton HB User

So Alesis...I'm curious how your ultrasound went. I hope you got good news.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
(female)

Alesis HB User

Hi! Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. My U/S came back normal.

I guess I will have to keep digging to figure out where the pain is coming from...althought I now feel the IBS or the fibromyaglia is probably the culprit.

Thank you to everyone who prayed and showed support. I really appreciate it.

A.

Closed Thread