It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
(female)

peacemind HB User
Red face LEEP during Pregnancy?

I have Squamous intraepithelial lesion / moderate dysplasia. My LEEP procedure is scheduled in three weeks from now. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and my Dr. told me to wait until after the procedure. Unfortunately, we got a little lazy with the contraception a few times and now I'm scared that I'm pregnant. Is it possible to do a LEEP while pregnant? What if I am preg. but it is just too early in the pregnancy to reveil positive on a preg. test? I really messed up and am kicking myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

alliehoo HB User
Re: LEEP during Pregnancy?

Hi Peace! I sort of had the same problem as you. I had an abnormal pap showing LSIL and scheduled a colposcaopy for further investigation. I got pregnant in the meantime and My doctor cancelled the colopoc all together. They will not take a biopsy or do a leep if pregnant so he figured since it was low grade to begin with that I'd just wait until after I gave birth in October. I'd make sure you aren't pregnant before allowing anything to happen in there. Unless its absolutely necessary.

HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

pris72 HB User
Wink Re: LEEP during Pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemind View Post
I have Squamous intraepithelial lesion / moderate dysplasia. My LEEP procedure is scheduled in three weeks from now. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and my Dr. told me to wait until after the procedure. Unfortunately, we got a little lazy with the contraception a few times and now I'm scared that I'm pregnant. Is it possible to do a LEEP while pregnant? What if I am preg. but it is just too early in the pregnancy to reveil positive on a preg. test? I really messed up and am kicking myself.

I had a colposcopy and some biopsies done when I was 8 weeks pregnant with my son who will soon be 14. I had him at 36 weeks, which had nothing to do with the things I had done. I was high risk for another reason, so they took him a little early.
I had another colposcopy done in my 7th month, but they didn't do any biopsies at that time due to how far along I was. My Dr. wanted to make sure that it had not become worse. She said had it looked worse they would have taken my son at 32 weeks, but fortunately it looked about the same.
I did not have the LEEP until after he was born. Being that they do remove parts of your cervix I definately would think a LEEP is not a safe procedure to have done while pregnant.
If you are pregnant I would think they would do you the same way they did me, and just keep a close eye on it.
Good luck.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

lam2703 HB User
Re: LEEP during Pregnancy?

I had a similar experience just this month...

I was scheduled for my first LEEP procedure on Feb. 20th. I woke up on the 19th with some spotting and was confused as I was not due to get my period for 2 wks. Needless to say the morning of the 20th I was still spotting. I called my doctor's office and explained my problem. After connecting me to the scheduling nurse, she, without hesitating, said they needed to cancel since the will not do the procedure during a period and I guess spotting too! She was a bit concerned that I may had been pregnant. Even though I knew there was very little chance I was, she encouraged me to take a pregnancy test prior to coming in for my rescheduled appt on Mar. 6th because she said they would not do the procedure if I was.

I did take her advice and the test came back negative and I did have the procedure on the 6th. I still have no reason why I was spotting mid cycle as this has never happened to me. I guess it's due to stress as I was very nervous about my first LEEP! Just glad it's all over now!

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread