It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
(male)

clinging2hope HB User
Girlfriend just had a colop, and STRESSING horribly, need few answers PLEASE

Im new to these boards but I've been lurking for a while. Im only 20 and my girlfriend is 19. I have to give a little background info as it later contributes to what I'm asking and why Im stressed to the point where Im supposed to be in class RIGHT DIS MINUTE but I just cant focus on anything else besides her and the condition:

About a year ago, I got her pregnant (yes we were extremely stupid in not using condoms). Both our parents decided it was best to have an abortion. She later told me that she didnt want to say anything but she wanted to keep the baby but feared that I would think she got pregnant as a means of keeping me secure. Anyhow, they did a pap at the abortion place and it came bac abnormal, later did another one wit her Gyn and it came bac abnormal. He told her she had HPV and CIN III from what I remember (I say "from what I remember" because I dont want to keep asking her about this as I know she must worry too). She went in for a colopscopy yesterday and I guess he said it was his only his second time doing it!!!! She gets the results back in two weeks.

Im fretting because back when she had the abortion, she used to have a hunch that she should have really kept the baby cuz she jus had this gut feeling that she wouldn't be able to have anymore. Now I've been doing research and the treatment used 99% of the time for CIN III is a LEEP which I read can affect future pregnancies. A family is something she wants dearly and anything she wants I want her to have and I just can't stop fretting over her cause I love her to death. I've been doing horribly this semester in college and it just seems like thats the least of my worries. For example, right now, as I said before, I'm to be in class and have a quiz going on.

So my two questions are: Will a LEEP affect her having future children? If after the PAP he knows she has CIN III, whats the point of a colopscopy? Why couldnt he just offer treatment then? Anything reassuring at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by clinging2hope; 03-28-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Girlfriend just had a colop, and STRESSING horribly, need few answers PLEASE

Hi and welcome! It's touching that you love your girlfriend so much and are worried about her. I'm sure all of this hasn't been easy for either of you.

While Paps are good as initial screening tests, a more in-depth diagnosis is needed, which is where the colposcopy comes in. The Pap just takes surface cells from the cervix, whereas during the colposcopy a punch biopsy is usually done to take a thickness of cells for analysis. It also pinpoints the exact location of any lesions, so that the doctor will know what area needs to be treated and which treatments are best.

If you're concerned about the possible treatments and the potential affect on future pregnancies, talk to the doctor about it. There are other options, if she does need treatment, which may not be as drastic, such as laser or cryosurgery.

Good luck to both of you. I hope everything goes well.

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 03-28-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

vero_0109 HB User
Re: Girlfriend just had a colop, and STRESSING horribly, need few answers PLEASE

i'm surprised the doctor was able to deliver a ciniii diagnosis from a pap, usually they can say if it's hsil or lsil but not cin1, 2 or 3. that specificity would be determined from the colposcopy, which isn't a very difficult procedure at all. i had an hsil pap and cin 2 dysplasia was found in the biopsies. i don't think a leep will cause your gf to not be able to get pregnant or carry a baby. im not experienced with this but ppl on this board have written about having babies post-leep. it is used very often because it works-- and that's the most important part.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

DiamondLight HB User

I had two leeps and a cone before having our third child. There are risks (such as incompetent cervix & premature rupture of the membranes) w/each (especially a cone), but from one procedure alone it's unlikely to cause problems. They would check her cervix (using vaginal ultrasound) and if needed she would have a cerclage...a stitch. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
(male)

clinging2hope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero_0109;2***009
i'm surprised the doctor was able to deliver a ciniii diagnosis from a pap, usually they can say if it's hsil or lsil but not cin1, 2 or 3. that specificity would be determined from the colposcopy, which isn't a very difficult procedure at all. i had an hsil pap and cin 2 dysplasia was found in the biopsies. i don't think a leep will cause your gf to not be able to get pregnant or carry a baby. im not experienced with this but ppl on this board have written about having babies post-leep. it is used very often because it works-- and that's the most important part.
Thats why I was confused and was thinking what the heck is the point of doing a colop if he already knew it was CIN III? I dont know, something bout this guy I dont trust. He has nurses who aren't even really nurses, and he didnt even tell her about how shes unable to have sex for 2 weeks; I HAD to tell her based on the research I did. I dunno...I wish this would all pass by, I need to do well in school but its just hard knowing she could have cancer etc.

Shes really worried about losing her hair because she has reall pretty hair. They dont treat cervical cancer wit kemo right? Like if it gets to its later stages?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

furtiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinging2hope View Post
Thats why I was confused and was thinking what the heck is the point of doing a colop if he already knew it was CIN III? I dont know, something bout this guy I dont trust. He has nurses who aren't even really nurses, and he didnt even tell her about how shes unable to have sex for 2 weeks; I HAD to tell her based on the research I did. I dunno...I wish this would all pass by, I need to do well in school but its just hard knowing she could have cancer etc.

Shes really worried about losing her hair because she has reall pretty hair. They dont treat cervical cancer wit kemo right? Like if it gets to its later stages?
IT's nice that you're worried...Cin III equals HGSIL but PAP's are not accurate..Colposcopy is and biopsies offer the best diagnosis..tell her to read more about this and relax...No, she wont need chemotherapy if treated early..and yes, if the doc dint tell her not to have sex after colpo (if he took biopsies) thats not a very careful doc

Honestly, hair is the last thing in my mind when it comes to this..Im more concerned of giving birth in the future..but i guess you are still very young.. relax it'll be fine just do what the doc says

Last edited by furtiva; 03-30-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
(female)

pris72 HB User

I got pregnant exactly a yr. after having a LEEP done.We planned another pregnancy for early 1995, because we wanted our 2 boys to be 2 1/2 yr's apart. He was full term, and I had no complications.He came into this world 12-18-95.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
(female)

vero_0109 HB User

my nurse told me that lsil is mild dysplasia (cin 1) while hsil can cover anything from moderate (cin 2) to high (cin 3) dysplasia. She said that usually labs err on the side of caution when interpreting pap smears so a colposcopy is the real analysis tool. remember, your gf does not have cancer! just a condition that MAY turn to cancer if left untreated. treatment is taking off the abnormal cells (not chemo). just try to relax, have her eat healthy and excercise, take a daily multivitamin, etc. to help her body deal with this better.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
(female)

luv2bsomebody HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinging2hope View Post
Im new to these boards but I've been lurking for a while. Im only 20 and my girlfriend is 19. I have to give a little background info as it later contributes to what I'm asking and why Im stressed to the point where Im supposed to be in class RIGHT DIS MINUTE but I just cant focus on anything else besides her and the condition:

About a year ago, I got her pregnant (yes we were extremely stupid in not using condoms). Both our parents decided it was best to have an abortion. She later told me that she didnt want to say anything but she wanted to keep the baby but feared that I would think she got pregnant as a means of keeping me secure. Anyhow, they did a pap at the abortion place and it came bac abnormal, later did another one wit her Gyn and it came bac abnormal. He told her she had HPV and CIN III from what I remember (I say "from what I remember" because I dont want to keep asking her about this as I know she must worry too). She went in for a colopscopy yesterday and I guess he said it was his only his second time doing it!!!! She gets the results back in two weeks.

Im fretting because back when she had the abortion, she used to have a hunch that she should have really kept the baby cuz she jus had this gut feeling that she wouldn't be able to have anymore. Now I've been doing research and the treatment used 99% of the time for CIN III is a LEEP which I read can affect future pregnancies. A family is something she wants dearly and anything she wants I want her to have and I just can't stop fretting over her cause I love her to death. I've been doing horribly this semester in college and it just seems like thats the least of my worries. For example, right now, as I said before, I'm to be in class and have a quiz going on.

So my two questions are: Will a LEEP affect her having future children? If after the PAP he knows she has CIN III, whats the point of a colopscopy? Why couldnt he just offer treatment then? Anything reassuring at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
(female)

luv2bsomebody HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vero_0109 View Post
my nurse told me that lsil is mild dysplasia (cin 1) while hsil can cover anything from moderate (cin 2) to high (cin 3) dysplasia. She said that usually labs err on the side of caution when interpreting pap smears so a colposcopy is the real analysis tool. remember, your gf does not have cancer! just a condition that MAY turn to cancer if left untreated. treatment is taking off the abnormal cells (not chemo). just try to relax, have her eat healthy and excercise, take a daily multivitamin, etc. to help her body deal with this better.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
(female)

luv2bsomebody HB User

i just recently went thru the same. however i didn't have the leep procedure, but i've done alot of research and also have friends who have had the leep procedure. And you still can have children afterwards. B but it is very scary and frighting. just the word cancer scares everybody. if her colop comes back ok then she has a pretty good chance. If not he next procedure will be a cold knife cone biospy (which i had done 1 week ago) my cancer wasn;t invasive yet ' but my doctor still recommends a simple hysterectomy . But each person is different the cold knfe procedure got rid od all of my cancer cells but there is a good chance it may come back. A hysterectomy isn,t actually required. with regular examinations it can be treated. It just depends on the person and there age.I wish your friend the best of luck and she is really scared right now she is lucky to have a friend like you.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi there,
Just wanted to share my story with you. It's wonderful how much you love your girlfriend, I'm sure she feels your support. It can be a scary experience so just be strong and be there for her.
About 11 years ago I had an abnormal pap - went to my gynecologist and turned out I had to have a cone biopsy (very painful and very scary).
Turned out I had mild dysplasia which is cells that would turn cancerous if not dealt with.....I had cyrosurgery.....not painful at all, just a little uncomfortable.
They told me that laser surgery my impact chances of having children so I went with the cryosurgery. Other than that I just had to go see her every 3 months for 2 years to make sure everything was okay.
I now have a 3 year old son and he is beautiful.....please dont assume the outcome of your girlfreinds situation.....dont assume she has cancer (believe me that's not something you want to worry about unless you have to)....
Hopefully is just dysplasia and it can be treated easily.....this is very very common....
Just dont worry and let us know the outcome, will say a prayer that everything turns out well.
God bless,
Carsam

Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
(male)

clinging2hope HB User

this tuesday will be two weeks since shes gotton it done. the doc did say 2 weeks but i always thought it was much sooner. is it supposed to take 2 weeks? i cant stop fretting....im hopin altho the pap came as CIN III that this will be CIN I or somethin...I dnno....i wish this wud all end so i can focus on school again

Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
(male)

clinging2hope HB User

Heres an update:

The reason why it took so long was because I guess he likes to sit down with his patients and discuss face to face the colop results instead of just on the phone. Turns out he says shes in between stage 2 and 3 and he says 3 is cancer. I could have sworn 3 was severe dysplasia? Anyway, hes going to have her undergo a LEEP but at a hospital and not his office. I didnt know these were done elsewhere. Is it that serious? Will this rid her of this nasty thing once and for all? How painful is it? They said they were gonna put her under anthesia. I wish this nightmare wud jus end. Im doing HORRIBLY in school but for some reason, its just at the back burner of my mind right now until she is in perfectly healthy.Ah boy, back to another 2 days of not eating and worrying for me .

If someone could jus kinda explain the LEEP procedure it would be greatly appreciated.

I thank all of you for your responses and *please* keep her in your prayers.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
(female)

DiamondLight HB User

Dysplasia is graded, only invasive cancer is given stages. So, she would be between CIN2 and CIN3. CIN3 covers severe dysplasia and carcinoma in situ. Severe dysplasia is when the cells cover a thickness between 70% or higher. CIS is when they cover the entire thickness. It's not always easy to tell the difference the closer it is to 100%, because of that and the seriousness of each, they now placed together under CIN3. However, there are some sites that say they're the exact same thing. If she's between CIN2 and CIN3, she definitely doesn't have cancer. I've read that CIN2 can be watched and not treated, but doctors usually treat it, because it relies heavily on the patient following up with paps. However, your girlfriend being between 2 and 3, they probably would require the treatment. Anyhow, that's the information I've come across on the internet. As far as pain, I had the leep (twice) with local anesthetic and it wasn't that bad at all. Of course, none of it is fun, but I was up and about right away. As long as she doesn't miss any paps she should be fine, please try not to stress yourself out. Best of luck!

Closed Thread