It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

Cateh64 HB User
Question Ultra heavy periods / v. low iron.... ?

Hi, my doctor rang me last night and says I have to have a blood transfusion to raise my iron levels as they are so low.

This is due to my extremely heavy periods... I don't bleed in between but when they start its like flooding, and I'm so exhausted I have to lie down. Mr Dr. also said that I may need a hysterectomy as there's a chance of fibroids or cysts causing this.

I'm worried that it may be cancer rather than cycsts........ does anyone out there have similar symptoms?

Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

DiamondLight HB User
Re: Ultra heavy periods / v. low iron.... ?

I can't answer your questions and concerns, but want to wish you luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

Cateh64 HB User

Thanks for your kind wishes! I need good vibes Having seen my Dr. this a.m. I'm now scheduled for a hysteroscopy soon, plus Pap smear before we know more. However, they seem to feel at the moment that I'm pre-menopausal, and may have some endometriosis, but most likely not a cancer dou to lack of other signs.......... hmmmmmmm well all will be revealed I guess!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
(female)

DiamondLight HB User

The waiting is difficult, but I'm glad you'll be getting answers. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

The girl I work with is 17 and has the same problems as you but she does has cysts on her ovaries. Her doctor but her on LoEstrin FE 24 which are birth control pills. The the last pills in the pack are iron pills. He also gave her prescription iron vitamins. I take the same iron pills as her they are called Hemocyte Plus.
She still has cramps right before her period but she does not bleed heavy anymore and her iron levels are much higher. Still a bit tired on her period but before she got on the BCP and the vitamins she was calling out or just about fainting at work and turn white from loss of blood.

It's worth looking into before having a transfusion. Maybe it's just me but that's kinda harsh for a first treatment for your problems.

Hope all goes well. I'll be adding you to my prayers.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am on the same BCP. They are the only ones that do not give me migraines but sadly I've gain 22 lbs on them. This is my 6 month and the weight seems to be slowly coming off. I am guessing that my body is finally getting use to them. I read the paper that came with my iron pills and it read that they are for the treatment of iron deficiency anemia and folate deficiency pregnancy, puberty, excessive blood loss, and advanced age. Also for treatment of conditions in which iron deficiency and vitamin C deficiency occur together, along with a deficient intake or increased need for B-Complex vitamins in chronic and acute illness, as well as cases of metabolic stress, and in convalescence.
Good Luck

Last edited by Jenteal; 04-11-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Closed Thread