It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

exotique HB User
Pap smear & Leeps

Hi, Im 24 yrs and a couple years ago I had an abnormal pap. Had a colposcopy done, and eventually got a LEEP procedure done shortly after finding out i had abnormal cells. The gyn told me that since i had an abnormal pap the first time, i should get paps every six months instead of just annually. I have no insurance & called planned parenthood to schedule an exam. I had one last august no abnormal pap result, she told me its not necessary every 6 months if i had a normal one. Is this right? After previously having an abnormal pap & leep procedure then having a normal pap, do u think i should still continue checking every 6 months? Sorry if this question is confusing...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Pap smear & Leeps

I think the general guidelines (in Canada anyway) are: once you have three consecutive normal smears following a treatment procedure for CIN, then you can resume annual smears, and eventually go back to every three years. I know there are some differences in the guidelines between Canada and the states, but I would think they might be somewhat similar in this respect. Hope this helps a little.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
(female)

Specialk988 HB User

I am the same age as you and also used to go to planned parenthood. I had a leep and I go in for check-ups every 3 months. Typically the norm is get paps every 3 months for a year and if they all come back normal then you can go back for your annual exams. It is very important as I had my 3rd check up and it came back abnormal. I have to go in for my coloposcopy/biopsy tomorrow afternoon. Double check with the Dr. office!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

exotique HB User

I havent heard every three months, just every 6 months. I asked for an appointment at planned parenthood, and she strongly didnt want to schedule me & said that i should just schedule for august. Weird b/c who is she to say that i cant have a check up, its not like im a non paying patient & i go every month like a hyperchondriac lol...

Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

becks77 HB User

here in england: as i've just had my first 6 month review after an abnormal pap, i'm told that it's six monthly reviews until you have three norm,als ina row, tehn onto annual, untril you reach ten years, (boy doe sthat seem like ternity!) and then onto teh normal three yearly cycle.

Closed Thread