It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

FibiGrey HB User
Question comb biopsy?

Has anyone had a comb biopsy done before? If so, what exactly is it? I just read somewhere that its a bigger biopsy and most people are put under anesthesia when they get it? my doctor said he'd be performing it the same way he did the regular biopsies... im confused...

Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: comb biopsy?

A cone biopsy is removing a peice of your cervix that's the shape of an icecream cone. A cylinder-shaped piece of tissue from the center of the cervix will be reomoved using a scalpel (called a cold-cone biopsy) or laser beam.

You are almost always put to sleep with general anesthesia. Once you are asleep, your legs are put in stirrups and the lower half of your body and legs are draped with sheets. A sterile, blackened speculum is placed in the vagina if a Laser Cone Biospy is being done. Otherwise, a weighted speculum is used to hold down the back wall of the vagina. An assistant holds the top and sides back as the doctor needs it done. Two stiches are placed, one on each side of the cervix, to tie off blood vessels that feed the cervix.

If LEEP is used, a wire is used to 'scoop out' the cone of tissue. For laser or scalpel, a circular incision is made into the cervix at the width needed to include the abnormal areas. The piece of tissue is grasped with a locking forcep to both hold onto it and to keep the tissue out of the doctor's way while she cuts the wedge from the cervix. The cut is then extended down to the depth that the abnormal cells may be in the cervical canal. A cone-shaped or cylindrical wedge of tissue is removed using the laser or knife.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

FibiGrey HB User
Re: comb biopsy?

okay..cone, my bf just told me I didn't hear him right...When he told me he was going to do it, i asked my doctor if it was going to be performed the same as the coposcopy biopsies and leeps with local anesthetics, he said yes... It's that painful that it needs to be asleep?...and hes NOT going to put me to sleep?

Closed Thread