It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 AM   #31
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User
Re: Health Regimen for CIN I-II

The vaccine won't protect you against strains you already have/had but the vaccine CAN protect you against strains you have NOT gotten. For young women who are not in a monogamous relationship, the vaccine should be considered as the HPV life-time exposure rate is around 80%. If the vaccine is offered, I'd take advantage. I'm considered "low-risk" for future exposure to strains as I'm in a monogamous marriage so I have elected not to receive the vaccine.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 08-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #32
(female)

furtiva HB User

There is an increasing support of the natural treatment of cervical dysplasia. I am very happy to see that more and more women are handling this by taking control of their health and their lives, following a health regimen rather than going under the knife (which can be very costly in addition to the risks (extent of cervical tissue removed and LEEP/cone repitition cases)

It has been a while that I did not visit the web to seek for more information, but in the period of three months "absence" I can read many more testimonies coming from women that have been succesful with this method. This is wonderful!

hugs to all

Last edited by furtiva; 08-17-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi furtiva!

I'm not sure, but I think you had said you'd have gotten your re-pap/colpo done by now. I hope it all turned out great!!! I'm sending all my good thoughts your way. I truly hope our health regimens work out for us! My re-pap is at the end of October and I'm getting more and more nervous as time passes. I'm thinking about what I'll do if my pap is the same or worse? Anyway I hope that's not the case, or with you, either! Please let us know how you are. Take care

Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #34
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Just a quick message to see if Furtiva is around! Hope all is well with you and that your pap came back normal!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #35
(female)

marielle1984 HB User

Hey everyone...Just a little update since its been awhile! Since moving back to LA, starting school again, a new internship, etc. the whole issue of my cervical health was kind of left as a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

As an update: After getting a second opinion, this doc also suggested cryo, which I felt quite strongly that I didnt want to go that route...told my dad this, who then spoke to the doctor again...and guess what? He ended up telling my dad "Well, yes, she can take the watchful waiting approach in her case, as long as she's vigilant about getting paps..." And he did confirm my worries that getting pregnant down the road may be harder, as well as the risks that a thinner cervix cause for a pregnancy! At that point, I realized that going to a third doc was probably a waste of time because I knew I wouldnt hear anything different.

So now a few nights ago I'm sitting here reading this post, reminded of how I've been neglecting this issue, not taking as proactive approach--beyond some of the permanent changes I've made (quitting the pill, not using tampons, taking different vitamins, etc.). I'm feeling quiet anxious and guilty, so I do a search for holistic MDs in the city. I ended up stumbling upon a page for an integrative medicine center (naturopathists, MDs, etc all at the same center) which among many other things, has a specialized treatment protocol for cervical dysplasia!! I cant tell you the flood of relief I felt in that moment...like, FINALLY!! I've been meaning to do this all along, but kept putting it off...almost in denial or something. I made an appointment first thing the next morning. I know its a bit pricey (and obviously NOT within my student insurance coverage), but that will just ensure that I will actually stick to it and take it seriously! At this point, I cant wait. I'm so ready now, and its comforting to know that a holistic MD will actually take my concerns seriously and offer more than just the standard cut-out-the-bad-part approach.

Anyways, just wanted to share some of the hope thats been restored in me! I'll update you all on how it went (my apt. is in a couple weeks) and what they tell me.

Hope everyone is doing well, and take care!

Last edited by marielle1984; 09-23-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Marielle,

I know exactly what you're going through. I'm a firm believer in preventative health/alternative medicine as I believe the body has an amazing ability to heal. With conditions like cervical dysplasia, we have even more leway to try alternative treatments.

I think you made the right choice in not getting the cryo. From all the doctors I've talked to (naturopaths, medical docs, nurses, etc), cryo is the least effective and can still create scar tissue (the usual side effects that come with a LEEP). And since you also have CIN I-II, you're not really jeapordizing your health at all by adopting a wait-and-watch approach. In fact, one doctor told me she had a patient who did a wait and watch treatment plan for her CIN I, and after 2 years, it cleared up.

I think a lot of doctors are quick to offer invasive surgical treatments (LEEP, cryo) when they're not always necessary. One doctor made it sound like if I didn't get the LEEP that day, that my CIN I-II would get much worse in a matter of months. Another doc (close family friend) told me that was nonsense and that I could wait to do another pap/biopsy in a few months.

So this is all quite subjective! *Especially* for those of us with dysplasia that bridges low and high grade lesions. It is quite frustrating but I believe we ultimately can improve our health by taking the right steps and hopefully helping our bodies make the dysplasia regress.

I have one more week of my naturopathic regimen and then in one month I go for another pap smear. I'm very confident that this will have worked as these treatments are quite successful with lower grade dysplasias.

So good luck with your naturopathic treatment! I really liked my doctor (she was in Monrovia in LA-- excellent doc) and she said she'd be shocked if this treatment didn't work. It does require dedication-- daily vitamins, healthier lifestyle of good foods and exercise, little stress in your life, daily vaginal suppositories, and NO SEX for the entire time! That one was tough and I cheated a few times (oops! haha) but I don't think that will affect much. So I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your treatment! Good luck and tell me how it goes!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #37
(female)

marielle1984 HB User

Hey All-

So last night I had an appointment with a naturopathic doctor in an integrative medicine center...I know this is the right thing I'm doing!! Before I even came I had to fill out a nearly 10 page general health questionnaire--addressing ALL aspects of my health (mental, physical, etc). When I was there, first I told her why I was interested in a more holistic approach to my cervical dysplasia. We literally talked for over an hour, addressing everything on that health questionnaire, in addition to all my cervical concerns, discussed options, etc.

Basicly she allayed all my fears and anxieties about this regressing into something worse, letting me know that considering the stage that it's in (LGSIL and CIN I-II, favoring I) and the fact that I am being so proactive about it, it will NOT progress to cancer. If the pap at some point were to show something more, such as HGSIL, or CIN III, at that point it might be time to take the medical route with a LEEP or cryo. I was given a vitamin regimine, including two different kinds of suppositories. I do the suppositories for 4 weeks, and will do a re-pap in December or January, so my body has some time to heal. She also wants me eating a whole foods diet to help the whole process. (This will probably be the most difficult for me-- no refined grains!! Umm, yeah, I'm starting this after the weekend...)

Since I've also been having other concerns with my general health, like some kind of minor general symptoms, she wanted to do a full blood sample which looks at just about EVERYTHING (blood sugar, thyroid, white blood cells, etc.) to make sure all my other systems are in check. I'm really excited for this since I've never had this done! Let me tell you, its almost like a weight has been lifted off of me. To have a doctor look at everything and take every concern seriously and in a non-judgemental manner, its such a good feeling. Especially in terms of my cervical health, FINALLY I feel like I'm doing what's right for me! I'm so glad I didnt jump to cryo considering the early stage of abnormality. I know there's HOPE and I dont have to carry all that stress, which undoubtedly makes everything worse...

I'll keep yall updated as my treatment progresses!

Closed Thread