It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

poniesnpaws HB User
food and cervical cancer

can anyone give me any advice on the best things to eat do you have any good links to any sites

Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: food and cervical cancer

Are you just wanting to know what healthy things to eat that may be beneficial to cancer fighting?

I can't speak specifically for cervical cancer but I have ovarian which should be pretty similar. I have read/heard to eat lot of blueberries and lots of protein, avoid caffiene and sugar (high fructose corn syrup), and I take Melatonin, green tea, vitiamin D , vitamin C and I drink a home bruwed ginger root tea that has helped me wonders.

Last edited by Suzi Q; 06-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
(female)

snobun1 HB User

Isn't it amazing it takes cancer to make us wake up to what we are eating. It was sure an eye opener for me. Sugar is one to start with and it isn't just candy intake, sugar comes from and in many things, Enriched, bleached white flour once in your body turns to sugar (pasta's , breads, potatoes, instant white rice all turn to sugar) - Candy, pop, wine, beer - etc.. "high fructose corn syrup" found in many things including wheat bread, cereal etc.. - this is something your body can not break down.
You can not honestly cut sugar completly out but limit your intake - look for alternatives to reducing sugar intake, change to diet pop and if you need caffeine limit yourself to one per day - mid day. - Pasta's go for OAT pasta this is a noodle you don't boil and by not boiling you retain fiber and your body doesn't turn it into sugar (great for diabetics too), brown rice. Whatch you portions of pasta if at night - don't want a tummy full of sugar getting 8 hours of rest time to seep into your body.
Tomatoes- huge cancer fighter, white grape juice - I drank a lot when I was going through treatment.- Green vegetables- Like salads?- use spinach leaves instead of lettuce - go to subway same ask for spinach leaves ratehr than lettuce. - try to eat more raw or steamed green vegetables like brocolli. Protien - my acupunturist had me on a 2 egg per day limit over easy in the AM with a slice or two of bacon, and protien for dinner and your piece of meat should be the size of the palm of your hand.
Multi vitamins- get a quality vitamin- if you can put it in a glass of water and it will not disolve with in 3-4 hours- then it isn't any good- our body will pass it before it can be digested and sent to all your body parts. Omega 3- good- Green tea good - especially at night before bed.
I also used something called total toddy during treatment- it was aliquid vitamin thing. Wasn't very good but I did it anyway.
It takes a while to get on a new diet- start slow and work your way into it- if you jump in with both feet you may sink and retain your old ways.
Right now I am doing a detox program I found on the internet- I am in day 5. of 60.
Since cancer I am much more aware of what is going in my body and when and how its getting worked through than I ever was. But am I perfect- no way - I have my moments and with busy schedules it is sometimes hard to keep to all my rules.
****** - Cancer fighting foods - learn what you can - knowledge is a great key to beating cancer. And its always different for each of us. Kinda rambled on but I am rather passionate about people bettering thier health - and not just hoping the Dr's do thier thing. Best wishes & Good luck.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

I think snobun hit most of the essentials!

Green tea is EXCELLENT -- try and have 2-3 cups a day and try and buy it in its loose-leaf form (better than bagged tea). It's also a good coffee substitute as it still has some caffeine.

Eliminate all sodas if you're a soda drinker-- there is absolutely no nutritional value to them! It's okay in moderation but try and cut them out of your diet if possible. If you're a coffee drinker, try to limit it to one cup every other day -- if you can cut it out of your diet, even better! I definitely need my coffee though so I'm limiting myself to 3 coffees a week (only when I realllly need it when I'm studying).

Eat LOTS of dark, leafy vegetables -- spinach is LOADED with folate and is pretty yummy, I think (easy to make a spinach salad for dinner every night). Broccoli, brussel sprouts (not my fav, personally, haha), kale, collard greens, edamame, etc...basically any veggie that has a dark green tint to it is excellent for you. My doctor recommends at least 3-4 servings of veggies a day (one cup per serving).

Eat a serving or two of fruit a day, especially fruits that have a dark peel to them (blueberries are excellent, strawberrries, blackberries, boysenberries, plums, etc).

Eat lots of FISH especially salmon and cod-- my doctor suggests trying to follow a pescatarian diet and limit red meat consumption to once or twice a month.

Try and limit your consumption of foods with refined sugars and flour and if you like white rice, replace it with brown.

That's all I can recall right about now. I'm sure there are other things, but perhaps you could consult a nutritionist in your area? They may be better to help you and your particular health concerns. Take care!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

LCGirl HB User

I was browsing through a magazine and came across this list of foods high in antioxidants:
Foods high in antioxidants
blueberries
cranberries
plums
prunes
strawberries
artichokes
beans
pecans

Foods high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids:
canola oil
flax seed