It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

evert9 HB User
Colposcopy vs LEEP pathology report

I'm really confused from reading posts - what's the difference (or what can I expect) between what the pathology report from my recent Colposcopy and the one that will be done from the LEEP procedure?

I thought that the Colpo biopsy showed moderate dysplasia and that LEEP was the procedure to try and treat it by taking abnormal cells off the cervix. So what results will I need to wait for? I assume that if it's a treatment, that I'd need a follow-up Colpo (4 paps for the next year, I know for sure) to make sure they got it all.

What's confusing is that some have stated "the LEEP showed moderate dysplasia" which should already be known, no?

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Re: Colposcopy vs LEEP pathology report

The col/bio is the initial biopsy. One of the good things with the LEEP vs cryo is that the goal is to take out all of the cells out of your body and study them. Think of it as not only ridding your body of the bad cells (hopefully as that is the goal) and having a larger piece of tissue to investigate to make sure the dysplasia is not more high grade. With the cryo the cells are just destroyed. I hear cryo can usually be used for those that have the bad cells up in the canal.

Also we wait for the results to hear "clear margins" which I believe is the doctor basically saying "we got it all".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User
Re: Colposcopy vs LEEP pathology report

Hi!

From what I've heard/read, the biopsy report is usually accurate in terms of what you have. They analyze the tissue from the LEEP to make sure it's not more severe than they had initially thought. In some cases (rare cases, I believe), the LEEP pathology report shows either more severe or more mild dysplasia than what the biopsy showed. So there is a slight chance that your LEEP could show mild dysplasia or severe dysplasia. But usually the inital biopsy and the LEEP biopsy reports show the same result.

Closed Thread