It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User
Find the doctor that's right for you before you LEEP!

Listen up ladies!

I wanted to underscore the importance of getting a second or third doctor's opinion. Before undergoing any type procedure for your dysplasia, you should really seek at least a 2nd opinion.

I say this because I've seen 3 different doctors for my CIN I-II -- I knew beforehand that I wasn't going to do a LEEP soon as I'm doing a health regimen with my naturopathic doctor, but I was just curious to see what different docs would recommend for my dysplasia.

Each doctor suggested something different. One doc was super aggressive-- she considered my dysplasia CIN II and wanted to do a big LEEP. The other doc wasn't as aggressive, said I could wait a bit, but if nothing cleared soon then get a shallow/minor LEEP done at that time. The 3rd doctor said there was absolutely no urgency in getting a LEEP done now and that I can repeat the pap and colpo/biopsy in 3-4 months to see if the dysplasia spontaneously regresses, as it does a lot of the time.

The doctor who told me to wait 3-4 months was also my best friend's mother. Interesting, don't you think? Now, she loves me and knows how close I am to her daughter, so there's no WAY she would tell me not to get a LEEP if it would compromise my health.

This has all been a very interesting learning experience. I believe a lot of doctors are unfortunately scaring or pressuring their patients to do something like a LEEP before the patient has time to even ask questions about it or have time to think it over. This is why it is so important to see different doctors before getting a procedure done!!

My best friend's mom said she's even seen women in her office who've had a LEEP done for CIN I! She said each doc is different and some are way more aggressive than others. This aggressiveness has a lot do with what my boyfriend (who is a physician's assistant) calls "Cover Your Own A** Medicine." Unfortunately, that's how a lot of medicine works now. They are scared of getting sued so I think sometimes they over-treat to make sure they got everything out just in case you happen to be in the small percentage of women whose dysplasia recurs.

Anyway sorry for ranting but I just got off the phone with my friend's mom and she calmed me down and her perspective has really given me some insight into the gynecological world in the way it handles dysplasia. She said dysplasia is very slooooow to progress, if it even progresses at all. Time is not of the essence with dysplasia. She stressed the importance of getting 2nd or even 3rd opinions before getting treatment -- especially if you feel uncomfortable with what your doctor recommends. And if your doc is impatient and won't give you the time to answer your questions, then change docs. Being comfortable and happy with your doctor is so important for this type of thing!

Ok ladies I hope you're all doing well and those who recently had LEEPs, here's to a speedy recovery! Make sure you rest and give your bodies time to heal (with good, healthy food and supplements!) Hearing about your normal post-LEEP paps is always hopeful and encouraging. Take care everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread