It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

marie32 HB User
Question Fischer Cone Biopsy leave margins b/c want kids

Hi All,

I am new to this board. About two months ago I had an abnormal pap. It was just when my husband and I were about to start trying to get pregnant. I was not aware of HPV or what any of this meant so I was so scared and I am still really preoccupied by it all. Definitely not the person I was two months ago.

My biopsy showed CNIII and my dr recommended a fischer cone biopsy, which is different than a cold knife. It sounds very similiar to LEEP. Anyone else familiar with it? I haven't seen any posts on it. My dr highly recommended it and I had it done earlier this week. I wasn't awake for any of it, so it ended up being better than the col. biopsy b/c all of these things make me uncomfortable and I was glad to have no memory of it. Anyway, her approach was to remove as little as possible (I will check when I see her next week about size and such...she said medium to me afterwards but I don't know what that means) and to confirm that the bad cells had not spread up my cervix (is that invasion??). She won't be surprised if my margins aren't clear but is fine with that b/c she says my body may heal itself or she will go back in. I hate, hate thinking about having to go back, but her thinking is that she doesn't want to compromise my cervix for holding a pregnancy so would rather take too little to start to see if my body beats it (and, again, she seemed more concerned about whether or not it was up in the cervix) than too much. Anyone else had a dr take this approach?

I haven't had my follow up so don't know the results of the cone biopsy yet, and as you can all imagine, my mind is racing and I am so nervous even though that does nothing. I may have more questions after I get my results...especially regarding thoughts on when we could start trying to get pregnant if the results are good. Mr dr said she wasn't sure yet b/c she would want the cervix to heal as much as it could but suggested 6 months.

Thanks for any thoughts on my situation. This board has been really helpful and I now have a good list of questions for my dr when I go in next week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jujukitty HB User
Re: Fischer Cone Biopsy leave margins b/c want kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie32 View Post
Hi All,

I am new to this board. About two months ago I had an abnormal pap. It was just when my husband and I were about to start trying to get pregnant. I was not aware of HPV or what any of this meant so I was so scared and I am still really preoccupied by it all. Definitely not the person I was two months ago.

Thanks for any thoughts on my situation. This board has been really helpful and I now have a good list of questions for my dr when I go in next week.

I'm not familiar with the biopsy method you mentioned, as I'm still in the "waiting to see exactly what's wrong" stage. Just wanted to say I totally understand the fear and feeling preoccupied by this stuff. I have to stop myself whenever I start imagining worst-case scenarios, and sometimes I can even get through half the day without thinking about it.
There is a lot of help and support on this board--it's been a lifesaver for me since I was clueless about these conditions before!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
(female)

marie32 HB User
Re: Fischer Cone Biopsy leave margins b/c want kids

thanks for the reply jujukitty. I have my follow up appt tomorrow and the results from the cone biopsy should be in this week, so I might hear tomorrow if I need to go back in or enter a wait and see if my body heals phase.

Closed Thread