It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

almondjoy HB User
Teenage Daughter with Abnormal Cells

My 18 yr old daughter has an appointment next week for her severly abnormal pap smear. We are worried. What will this upcoming appointment be like? Another pap smear?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

LCGirl HB User
Re: Teenage Daughter with Abnormal Cells

They may do a copolscopy where the doctor puts some vinegar-type solution on the cervix and then looks at the cervix with a high powered microscope. They will probably do a biopsy if it was a severely abnormal PAP, but it depends on what the doctor sees with the scope.

Last edited by LCGirl; 08-02-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

almondjoy HB User

If the cells still look bad at this test, then what might be next?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
(female)

LCGirl HB User

Let me back up a step. Did the doctor tell your daughter what the PAP test results said? You or your daughter may want to get a copy of the rest result. If it said ASCUS (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance), then it's probably a repeat PAP to see if the cells have cleared up. If it's still abnormal, then they would most likely do a colposcopy.

If the PAP results is of higher concern than ASCUS, they would probably do the colpscopy. The biopsy result will give your daughter a diagnosis. It may be mild dysplasia in which case up to 80% of these cases clear up on their own. Usually doctors will say wait and follow up with repeat PAP and/or colpo every 4 months or so to see if it clears up on its own with mild dysyplasia.

If it's more advanced dysplasia, there are a few procedures (Cryotherapy, Leep, Laser, etc.) which remove the "bad cells". Even at stage II of dysplasia, some women opt to take a wait and watch approach.

Keep in mind these cellular changes USUALLY take years (10+) to change into cancer. I know it's unnerving to hear cancer but this is one of the most treatable types and catching the cellular changes (dysplasia) early is even better.

You may want to encourage your daughter to eat a healthy diet, start a vitamin regimen, exercise, limit alcohol, don't smoke, and get plenty of rest. All of these things will help boost her immune system which is very important in helping the cervix repair itself. Also, she should be sure to stick to all of her follow-ups. Search the board and internet and you'll find alot of info on the topic.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

~LCG

Last edited by LCGirl; 08-02-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
(female)

almondjoy HB User

Thanks for your time and reply. Your answer was very helpful. The doctor said my daughter would have the vinegar test at the next appointment.
My daughter has had cysts on her ovaries and few periods throughout her young life. She has taken/used several forms of prescription birth control as treatment.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
(female)

almondjoy HB User

My daughter's appointment for the biopsy went well. There were no bad cells. She will have another pap in a few months.

Closed Thread