It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

bamalina HB User
Heavy bleeding after colposcopy?

Hi everyone (again)!

I had my colposcopy yesterday which I found a little painfull, I was very thankfull when it was over!
Anyway I have never had heavy periods as I am only of a petite frame, so anyhow since I have had it done yesterday afternoon I have the worst bleedin I can ever remember (bit like after I had my children!), I had to get some really thick pads and seem to be havin to change them within 2 hours.
The nurse did say I might experience 'spotting' and a dark discharge where the iodine solution will come out, and that sounded ok, but this isnt spotting, everytime I move it feels awful, sorry for bein to graphic ladies, has anyone had this and is it normal? I did have a biopsy done, but just expected small amount of bleeding from that.
I have read that you should contact a doctor, but I dont want to seem like I am over reacting.

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User
Re: Heavy bleeding after colposcopy?

I bled a lot like you are describing after my LEEP. I had a LEEP cone and it was quite aggressive. I bled heavily for 3 weeks. As long as you aren't hemmoraging (more than 1 pad per hour) or there aren't clots larger than a quarter, I wouldn't worry. However, if you are feeling faint or are just too worried, call the doc! That's what they are there for. They'll know if what you are experiencing is normal for what you had done specifically and know when to worry--if at all. It's always best to call if you're concerned. But, I wouldn't worry too much. My doc said "light spotting" too. But, the post-op nurse said medium to heavy bleeding so, when I DID bleed heavily, I wasn't really worried since I pretty much expected it. I had a post-op check a week later and he said the amount of bleeding was normal for the aggressiveness of my procedure.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

bamalina HB User

Thanks for the reply.

Well I rang my doctor and she said it wasnt 'normal' to bleed heavilly after a colposcopy and I need to rest for a few days, I am wondering if maybe all the tampering down there bought on a really heavy period? (havnt had one for 2 years nearly)

I will keep an eye on it over the next few days, but my doctor did said after other procedures such as a leep you have heavier bleeding though.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
(female)

bamalina HB User

Ok quick update,

Still bleeding really heavilly, so I think I will ring the actual colposcopy department today and see whats happpening, I thought the bleeding would have gotten lighter by now but its gettin worse,

I didnt have anything done other than a colposcopy and a biopsy taken, but I always bleed a little after intercourse or a smear, but thats juts spotting, it seems like anything that goes near or touches my cervix I bleed, but this is nothing what I have had before.

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

Yeah, that's NOT normal, I agree! For whatever reason, I thought you were asking about bleeding after treatment. Yes, to bleed like you are after a colposcopy (even IF there were biopsies taken) is NOT normal. I'd call the doc again ASAP or go for emergency care if you are able. There are very simple ways for them to try and stop the bleeding. But, if it's something more, the sooner the better.

GL! Let us know. I hope all ends up being well! (((((HUGS)))))
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
(female)

bamalina HB User

Ok its been 5 days and I am still bleeding, I thought I would wait and see if its eases off just encase the colposcopy bought on a heavy period after not havin one for nearly 2 years,

When would you call a doctor? I feel really silly encase they say that I am havin a period! I have the implant in my arm so all I have had for nearly 2 years is on off spotting, not a full period. Is it possible that the colp has brought this on or should I be worried? I bleed everytime I have contact with something 'down there' but no way this much or for this long.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User

Please call your doctor right away.........you should not be bleeding like that!! I am just recovering from heavy bleeding after LEEP, which is NOT normal either. I ended up in the OR this past Monday night to stop the bleeding. So, again, please call your dr. right away!!! Let me know how you make out and best of luck.

Stacey

Old 08-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User

I keep checking back to see if you called your doctor..........I hope you have!!! Please keep us posted.

Stacey

Old 08-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #9
(female)

bamalina HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the responses,

Well now I dont know what to do as the bleeding has gotten a little better now, still there, and its still bright red......dont wanna put anyone off eating or anything! I want to put it down to the colposcopy bringin on a period, I had the colposcopy on tuesday at midday and its now sunday, usually when I remember havin 'normal' periods I was only bleeding bright red for about 3 days and then it trails off to a brownish colour, no brown colour yet, but I will feel so silly if the doctor says I have wasted their time. I am not flooding, but to much to wear pantliner and bright red.

I think I might call doctor tomorrow morning if still there.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
(female)

sarmee HB User

I was just thinking that it doesnt sound normal to be bleeding like that after a colpo. I think you should call your doctor again or go to the emergency clinic because if the bleeding is as much as you described It could be serious. Keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #11
(female)

bamalina HB User

Ok another update,

Good news the bleeding finally stopped on Sunday, an although the doctor said no intercourse for 5 days, I decided after 8 days it would be ok......well half way through I started bleeding, bright red, the kind of bleeding when you slice your finger open,
Is it possible that my partner has touched where the biopsy was done and made me bleed like that? Its near enough stopped now, I just cant figure out whats going on with this body of mine!
Any insights?
Thanks in advance

Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
(female)

smith77 HB User

Hi

I was same as you...lots of heavy bleeding with clots for about 8days and I ended up being anemic because of the bleeding.

i am still not sure why I ended up with this bleeding or what caused it!!! My doctor just said to take it easy for few days so I didnt go into work!

other than that the doc didnt really help me! hope you feel better soon and the bleeding eases off

x

Closed Thread