It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

lupus42 HB User
Cervical cancer + Lupus

Hi. Any help would be appreciated.
I just came back from my gyno and she told me I have HGSIL. I am getting the LEEP done in a month. I'm scared of the complications the LEEP surgury can have on my Lupus. I've had Lupus since I was five and am on many medications including predisone and cellcept...

Worst, I'm concerned about the possibility of the HGSIL developing into cervical cancer. Lupus and cancer are both very dangerous diseases and I am pretty sure the treatments counter-act each other.

HELP! I'm desperate for an answer!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User
Re: Cervical cancer + Lupus

I'm really not sure what the ramifications can/will be on your Lupus but I do know that it generally takes around 10 years for dysplasia (even high-risk) to progress to cervical cancer--if it even does. With treatment, the chance is much lower. With a LEEP, the success rate is upwards of 90%. High-grade means the lesion is extending more into the cervical tissue vs. low-grade lesions and also means you are at higher risk for cancer but does NOT mean you will get cancer.

Now, the important thing post-treatment is to keep your immune system in as good a shape as you can. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lupus affect your immune system? If so, you might have a higher chance of recurrence but, even still, that does not mean you'll get cancer. From now on, though, it is even MORE important for you to stick with your paps at the intervals your doctor suggests.

I hope I helped even a little. Talk with your doctors and see if they can speak with eachother about how best your post-treatment situation can be monitored. GL!
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
(female)

lupus42 HB User

Thank you for your reply Mom2nik2002.
It was helpful to hear some reassurance before the surgury.
I am meeting w/my lupus doctor tomorrow so hopefully he will give me more information.

In the meantime, I think it would really help me to understand more about the actual procedure from someone who has done the LEEP recently. How much does it hurt, how many days did you take off work, did you need to have a family or friend stay over to take care of you, are you able to eat/drink/sleep, etc...?
All of these question are contanstly on my mind and I would love to hear some first hand experiences.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Hi,

Many of the girls here have posted their leep experiences. It takes a bit of time to filter through the messages, but I've copied a few links to posts for you. Hope this helps

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=511565">don't dread a leep-a cowards report

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=509737">Cervical LEEP Biopsy done!

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=503774&highlight=LEEP[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=495854&highlight=LEEP[/url]

If you do a search of the board for "LEEP" you will come up with many many pages of information.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

I apologize that it took so long for me to get back to you! I had a very hectic week last week and an even busier weekend!

Anyhow, my LEEP cone was performed while I was under general as I also had a laparoscopy done at the same time so I can't tell you how the surgery was during. Afterwards I was surprised by how little it hurt. I felt a little "sore" but nothing that wasn't tolerable. Then again, I was on pain meds from the lap so that could be why it was so "easy." LOL! Since I had a cone done at the time of the VERY aggressive LEEP, I bled for 3 weeks. I took a week off work but I also had abdominal surgery at the time so it was more for that. I would've taken maybe the day of the LEEP cone and the day after if I had it alone. The "best" scenario would be getting it done on a Wednesday or Thursday and then taking the rest of the week off and the weekend to recoup. That's a perfector world scenario, tho! LOL!

If you are getting the procedure done under general anesthesia, it would be best to have someone stay with you the rest of that day. If not, tho, you should be fine by yourself if you have to be--though it would be nice if you could have someone around to help you out. You'll likely be bleeding and feeling a bit weak so it's best to take it VERY easy and rest as much as possible. Avoid lifting anything and over-exerting yourself for at least a week after. Your body will tell you if you are doing too much--you'll bleed more when you are over-exerting yourself.

You'll be fine and back to yourself quickly! Just remember to take it easy for a few days and listen to your doctor's post-surgical instructions. You'll probably have a follow-up a week or so later so your doc can get an idea of how you are healing. Any questions you have about your specific recovery can be asked then or right after the procedure!

GL! Let us know how everything goes!

~Elle
LEEP cone June 2005. Severe dysplasia dx (HGSIL). ASCUS pap May 2007.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
(female)

lupus42 HB User

Hi!

I had my LEEP producer two weeks ago and it went smoothly.

I don't remember anything after they stuck in the IV and I woke up in the recovery room with litte to no pain. The only extra step they did for me because of the Lupus was give me an extra dose of predisone through the IV.

My surgent gave me a perscription to vicodin which I took every 6 hours for 3 days. After that, I was fine with just extra strength tylnol.

I was back at work in 3 days! I was a little weak but fine to do my office work.

I did not bleed for the first week but began spotting this week.

The other great news is my surgent called and said they were able to successful remove all the high grade cells and did not detect anything further up my uterus so I do not have to go in for a second surgery.

I just have to go in for a follow up Pap in 3 months.

My experience with all of this is less trumatic than I expected. I am really grateful for this site and for all of the support.

Thank you for replying to my trend and I wish you all a healthy future!

Closed Thread