It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

poewill HB User
Question Bleeding post LEEP

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight! I had a LEEP procedure done on August 14th...all went well and I had no bleeding or discharge afterwards. About a week and a half post leep I started to feel ill to my stomach (on occasion), as well as started to bleed. I would LOVE to be able to say that it is my period, but I am not sure. Since the birth of my daughter in July 2006, I have had 3 periods, the last one being on August 9th (5 days before my treatment)! Since I have not been regular with my periods, could this be a period as well? So close to the last one I had? I also have had mild cramping. If so, how long should it last and when should I contact my doctor?

Thanks for any input on this!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User
Re: Bleeding post LEEP

Did you not bleed post-LEEP? I had a LEEP cone and bled for 3 weeks straight! Since it was only a week and a half after treatment, I'd be willing to bet it's related to the LEEP. Not sure of the nausea feeling, tho. But, if you didn't have any bleeding and all of a sudden began bleeding, it's likely it could be a period. If you aren't regular, having 2 periods that close together is feasible. I'd wait a week or so and, if the bleeding doesn't subside, call your doctor. Did you go for a follow-up after the LEEP? Did your doctor mention whether you were healing well? Maybe your cervix isn't healing as well as it should. Is there a lot of bleeding (more than a pad an hour)? If so, call your doctor ASAP. If it is as much as a period, I'd try and wait it out a week or so.

I hope I answered some of your questions. I'm just a little confused regarding the circumstances. But, if you are ever uncomfortable with what is going on with your body, call your doctor. That's what they are there for and what they are PAID for! GL! Hope all gets better soon!

~Elle
LEEP cone June 2005. Dx severe dysplasia. ASCUS pap May 2007.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

evert9 HB User

It absolutely could be post LEEP bleeding. Mine didn't start for nearly 4 full days after my procedure. The solution they put on you after the LEEP creates a scab and eventually falls off making you bleed (as I understood it). I'm going on 2 weeks and am still bleeding. As a matter of fact, I just came to this board wondering if that was normal! I ended up in the ER last Monday as I was bleeding through a pad an hour but they said I was ok and that clots were just not releasing like they should have.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
(female)

poewill HB User

Thanks much for responding. I am not too sure it is my period since I feel I am bleeding quite a bit now. It has been over a week since the bleeding has started and it seems to be getting heavier and not subsiding. I am by no means bleeding through a pad an hour, but when I go to the washroom, there is a continuous drip and sometimes a stream. Most of the time afterwards, the water is red and no longer clear in the toilet, as well as there seems to be some clots (red clumps). I called my doctor's office on Monday and the secretary said she "thinks" it is normal, but if I am still bleeding in a week to go in. How am I supposed to know what is too much? Can any damage be done by bleeding this much for 2 weeks? No, I have not had a post LEEP follow up. My doc said that he will see me in 6 months...is this normal? Thanks again in advance for any input!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

Now that you clarify, I do think this is strange. It is likely you are just not healing properly for whatever reason. Did you have sex or use a tampon before 6 weeks? Did you engage in very strenous activity soon after the LEEP? All these could cause prolonged or excessive bleeding. You might need cauterization or that solution they put on there to help slow/stop bleeding. They do this after the LEEP but sometimes it is not enough. I would call and demand an appt BEFORE 1 week and have your doctor take a look. I have NO idea why he'd make you wait 6 months but maybe he doesn't feel a need to check progress. That is strange and I don't know if that would make me feel very comfortable. Just call and demand an appt. If the office refuses, go to another doctor. I know that is easier said than done but, if you aren't healing properly, you need it fixed sooner rather than later. 6 months just wouldn't be acceptable in that situation.

GL! Hope you get seen soon and the bleeding stops.

~Elle
LEEP cone June 2005. Dx severe dysplasia (HGSIL). ASCUS May 2007.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

poewill HB User
Unhappy Re: Bleeding post LEEP

THANKS AGAIN for your post. I went in today, but my doctor was not in...the doc that was there was very very rough! He said that my bleeding was NOT normal and he cauterized it, as well as put some type of dissolving gauze on it. He also gave me aprescription for 2 kinds of antibiotics, as well as iron pills. He said that if the bleeding continued to go to the emergency and they would probably have to stitch it. Have you ever heard of this? I had the cauterization done at a bout 9:30 this morning. All was good until about 4pm when I have started to bleed again. It is a constant drip..not like it was before, but I am not sure if I leave it it will become like what it was before. I guess I have no choice but to go in once again, but am scared that the doc will not know what they are doing and do damage down there. I want more kids so all of this is really affecting me emotionally! Any insight?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User

If it makes you feel any better.......I experienced the EXACT issues you are experiencing. My LEEP procedure was done almost six weeks ago. I went through the extra applying of the Monsel, vaginal packing, etc........none of which worked. I ultimately ended up having to go in to have them suture the areas where they took the biopsies during the LEEP (that was 3 weeks AFTER the LEEP). Just so you know, I was put to sleep for this procedure. My doctor attempted to stitch me in his office and it was just too painful!! So, if you are at all nervous, request to be put to sleep. It made things much easier, believe me!! I am now scheduled for a complete abdominal hysterectomy on September 7th....I will be very glad when this whole ordeal is over!!! Best of luck to you......oh, and call your doctor right away!!
Stacey

Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

Sorry for the delay.....

I would call your doctor and go back in there if possible. They are probably better able to deal with a GYN issue than a general ER. Granted, they have good equipment in the ER but they'd probably be more interested in stopping the bleeding vs. saving fertility.

Though I don't think it'll come down to fertility vs. resolving this issue. You MUST get this issue corrected. Period. I know you want to have children but that won't be possible if the bleeding causes damages. KWIM?

Call the doc and get this figured out. Stitching the biopsy areas on your cervix should NOT have any bearing on fertility.

HTH! Actually I hope you've gotten resolution since your last post. GL!

~Elle
LEEP cone June 2005. Dx severe dysplasia (HGSIL). ASCUS pap May 2007.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
(female)

poewill HB User
Unhappy Re: Bleeding post LEEP

Thank you both for your replies...you have no idea how your words are helping me. I went to the ER last friday evening since I found out that my GYN was on duty (not the dr who did my leep). She said that the doc i saw in the am did more damage than necessary. She cauterized me once again with a nitrate stick and said that the bleeding had subsided quite a bit. She went on to say that i should have beeling for about a week, but if for some reason I felt i had too much for my liking to go back in yesterday. Things were fine all weekend with minimal bleeding and the color was dark. I was not supposed to even lift my 1 year old daughter and was to stay in bed.

As of today I find the bleeding is a bit more, but nothing in my eyes as being crucial, but the color is back to being bright red. I just hope that this stops since I am getting more worried as the time goes on...my leep was august
14th! Could it be that the doc took to much so it is not healing properly? Will the bleeding stop eventually or should I just ask for stitches? What length of time to bleed to normal?

Stacey..how come you have to have a hysterectomy? Was it due to your positive paps?

Mom2nik...what does KWIM mean?

Thanks soooooo much guys!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User

I hope the bleeding stops soon for you........if it is bright red again, I would give your dr. a call again. Have they checked your crit level?? Mine told me if I bled like a heavy period to call.....I was cauterized and packed twice and still ended up needing to be stitched. My hysterectomy is scheduled for tomorrow....due to the results of my LEEP which showed CIN III in the margins as well. The CIN III also showed in the cervical canal...
Stacey

Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
(female)

mom2nik2002 HB User

I'd call the doc. Maybe you need to be stitched. If you're still bleeding a week after they did the cauterization, go back in. Stitching should correct the bleeding.

KWIM....Know What I Mean?

Sorry, I'm so used to internet-speak that I use it all the time without thinking! I've done it in emails to my BOSS! LOL!

Hope the bleeding stops soon! Good luck!

~Elle
LEEP cone June 2005. Dx severe dysplasia (HGSIL). ASCUS pap May 2007.
Emma Leigh 12/26/06

Closed Thread