It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

gabluzee HB User
atypical glandular cells....now what?

Hi ladies!
Has anyone had a happy ending to a pap smear which showed atypical glandular cells? By happy ending, I mean no cancer found, no hysterectomy needed. I am anxiously awaiting my endometrial biopsy results. My doctor sounded like the voice of doom in his office the other day, and I hate the idea of being in my mid-30s, having to have a total hysterectomy and going thru menopause.
For those of you who have had total hysterectomies, how bad is it? I am imagining the worst.
I am so grateful to have found this message board!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

ragdahl76 HB User
Re: atypical glandular cells....now what?

Back in July my pap results came back with atypical glandular cells. I had a colposcopy with cervical biopsy, which ended up coming back adenocarcinoma in situ. This is known as cervical cancer stage 0, but it's considered a pre-cancerous condition. My regular ob/gyn scared the heck out of me by stating, "One more step and we'd be talkin' hysterectomy."

Since I'm 30 and don't have children yet, my gyn/oncologist understood that I was concerned about my fertility. His recommendation was a LEEP cone biopsy, which he did back on Sept. 6th. My results of that came back all clear. Now I just have follow-up paps every 3 months for 2 years. I haven't had my first follow-up yet, so I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm hoping for the best. I hope that it doesn't ever end up coming to a point where I need a hysterectomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

gabluzee HB User

Ragdahl,
Thanks so much for your post! I don't want a hysterectomy either. My regular gyn mentioned it last week. He's a nice doctor and I like him, but he's a man so I don't know if he'd be as empathetic as a woman doc. If it comes down to it and I need to see a gyn/oncologist, someone has recommended a female doc who hopefully can find an alternative to a total hysterectomy.

I hope all stays well with you!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

ragdahl76 HB User

Hi gabluzee!

I understand your thinking on the male vs. female doctor (that's how I felt at first too), but believe it or not my male doctor was way more sympathetic to the fertility issue.

My regular ob/gyn was a woman and she didn't even seem to want to hear anything about fertility. She didn't give me the feeling that she cared about me or my health so much as she just wanted to "take care of business". Whereas I'm the type of person who would go to the ends of the earth to save my fertility. (Then again I think it was just her manner as she was always very cold and short with me and made me feel rushed.)

When my results came back AIS, she wouldn't see me anymore and told me to go to a gyn/onc. The one I chose ended up being a man and I couldn't have been happier. He's the kind of doctor who takes you into his office after the physical exam and talks to you. On my first visit, he explained my condition in detail including drawing a diagram for me to show where the AIS had been found. On the day he gave me the results of my cone biopsy, he expressed his opinion that I try for a baby asap and not wait until my late 30's.

Take care and I hope for the best for you!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
(female)

blondraider HB User
Thumbs up Re: atypical glandular cells....now what?

Hi all,
I had the same exact diagnosis however after a colpscopy and an endomitral biopsy I will have to have a hysterectomy and testing of all my nodes. I was finally after all test confirmed with cervical adenocarcinoma and really I just want it gone and out of my body and I hope and pray as much as I can that it as not spread into any other organs. I think that a lot of people get calmer diagnosis but have the same things and only find out years later they still have forms of cervical cancers and I just want to be done with it. I do realize that I am older and already have kids and I do not have to question my fertility and I really feel for everyone that does but life is so precious and there are many options out there to obtain a family. I am so scared but will know more tomorrow I have never had surgery and never had to be put under and that scares me so very much. I am here for anyone who needs me and anyone that has been diagnosed with HGSIL/favor Neoplasia or ASC-H Or atypical glandular cells and then adenocarcinoma cause I have been diagnosed with all within this past month. And the final outcome after both a cervical biopsy and an endomitrical biopsy was adenocarcinoma. I have read post where the person had HGSIL or ASC and they were told by there doctors to wait and come back in 4-6 months yet if they had any more testing would they have had the same outcome as I did and get treated appropriately? Please all be resilient in your health and follow you own feeling and get the answers (the bottom line answers). Good luck to all and be healthy.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

Synderesis HB User

I wanted to bump this up because I received word from my doctor today that I have these atypical glandular cells and I was curious to hear more replys regarding this.

Anyone else get this bact from their OBGYN and if so, what was the outcome? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ~

Synderesis

Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

Donna1977 HB User

I have recently had 2 LLETZ treaments and 3 months ago I had a cone biopsy and I don't have to be reviewed for six months. I was told it was adenocarcinoma in situ (glandular). My gyn told me that I have a big chance of having to have a hysterectomy in the near future so me and my partner are trying to get pregnant before then. Trouble is I have started bleeding heavily after sex for a few hours and I have a constant dull ache in my lower back. For the past few weeks I have been suffering from nausea and vomiting a few times (mainly in the mornings) which might make you think I'm pregnant but I have taken a test and its negative!! I also feel very lethargic. I cant get a docs appointment for another week and I am ovulating this week so I don't know whether to stop having sex and miss my chance to get pregnant or carry on?! Also, does anyone know what is going on with me??

Thanks for reading xx

Closed Thread