It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

weezerdog HB User
7 mos PREG & COLPO ??

I'll try to sum up fast:

A year ago in October I had an abnormal pap that showed HGSIL & mild dysplasia.....had the Colpo a week later.....no dysplasia and inflammation.
I had the Pap again in April...normal results. I got pregnant in April..right after that. My doctor wanted to do a Colpo in three months to monitor...I did one in July (hurt so bad) and she saw nothing. She wants to do another one now and I'm 7 months pregnant. She says it's because she can see all of my cervix if there is any problems.

I'm scared to do this again. I can handle the pain as I know it will be much worse in a few months! But, if she does find something, she can't do anything right now, nor would I let her. I don't want a biopsy because of risk of infection and other complications.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? This is my first child, so I'm a nervous wreck as it is. I don't want the worry of finding out something next week that will ruin the rest of my pregnancy. I truly feel everything is fine. I think the first Pap may have been an overread....but I'm not doctor. My OB/GYN (she's both) is very thorough. What would you guys do? I just don't want to have to go thru an unnessecary colpo.

Thanks,
Weez

Due: 1/7/2008
This is #1

Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

casie1984 HB User
Re: 7 mos PREG & COLPO ??

I would say if your dr thinks it is a good idea to check, then go ahead and check. I would tell her not to do any biopsies if you dont want to chance it. She can do the culpo now and then 6 wks after having your baby and compare the results, then if more treatment is necessary, then do it after, they cant really do anything right now anyway. I had a culpo when I was pregnant, as well as one yesterday. There was 8 yrs in between, and I think it was worse this time. They did one when I was about 4 months pregnant and I was fine, and my sister just had one a couple of months ago, and she is pregnant, about 5 months at the time of culpo. We both had biopsies taken on our culpos while we were pregnant, and we are both fine. In fact, she is a HIGH risk pregnancy, has an incompitent cervix, and multiple other problems. She has been on bed rest since she was about three months along, and she is about 7 1/2 now. But she was fine too. The dr will take into considderation the pregnancy, and take a biopsy from a spot that wont interrupt the pregnancy. They didnt do the scraping of the inside of my cervix when I was pregnant, and they took a peice from the outside edge of my cervix instead of the inside. It has been 8 yrs since, and my son was born safely several months later with no problems at all from the culpo or biopsies... Good luck with everything, and if you dont want the biopsies, then make that clear to your dr... Just make sure to get everything taken care of ASAP after the baby because it can change very quickly. PS they never did give me my results after the one 8 yrs ago, and I had clear paps for 7 years after until this year. They said the cells must have been caused by the pregnancy because they cleared themselves up afterward.
I really dont know why she wants to do another culpo though since your pap results were normal, unless she just wants to look and make sure there are no bad cells present, she may not even want a biopsy, just a look to be sure there is nothing going on that she should be aware of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I would worry about infection, I think it is reasonable. Overall it is your body and tell the doctor you would like to wait and see what she says. Infections at hospitals are more frequest that what people may think. I had a natural birth for many, many reasons and one was I don't want to expose myself unessecarily to the possibility of infections.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

My sister has/had this issue. She has been dx'd with mild dysplasia and it tends to flare up during her pregnancies, then self resolves after delivery. After giving preterm birth due to infection, I agree about not exposing yourself to an invasive procedure. I do however think that it would be warranted in your case due to your history. They are checking to make sure that these abnormal cells do not mulitply at a rapid rate and result in cervical or some other type of GYN cancer. Mommies need to be here for their babies, and your doc is just trying to keep a good grip on your health status by staying on top of your increased chances to develop cancer.

Good luck.

Amy

Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
(female)

Hattie07 HB User

I had a colpo in the beginning of my pregnancy and then at 7 months as well. The only real risk is if they do a biopsy and they aren't likely to do that during pregnancy. I had no problems and a very healthy baby (my first, too). I did have to have a leep procedure six weeks after the birth for CIN III, but I got great results back...they got all of the abnormal cells and clear margins. Good luck!

Closed Thread