It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User
Naturopathic Medical Success Story!

Hello everyone,

I'm here to write my story about my personal success with naturopathic medicine. I just received the great news an hour ago from my gynecologist stating that my biopsy results and ECC are NORMAL! BENIGN! For those of you who don't remember me, I'll recap my medical history briefly:

I started having ASCUS paps nearly 3 years ago and I was tested positive for high-risk HPV two years ago. Two biopsies came back benign, but last May my third colposcopy/biopsy results showed mild/moderate dysplasia (CIN I-II). The gynecologist urged that get a LEEP but I was very hesitant about this. Knowing that dysplasia is VERY slow to progress to cancer, if it progresses at all, I decided to delay the LEEP and seek an alternative method before resorting to a LEEP.

I then went to a Naturopathic Doctor in the Los Angeles area last June and she put me on a health regimen that consisted of: daily vitamins (TONS of them-- beta carotene, folic acid, multi vitamins, among others), daily suppositories for 3 months (not fun but WORTH IT now in retrospect), slight changes to my diet and lifestyle (but nothing major as I love my coffee and sweets and didn't give them up entirely, but i did eat more veggies and spinach almost every day), exercised regularly, and reduced my stress levels in my life (hard to do, being a full time grad student, but I had no choice!).

After three months of this, I went in 2 weeks ago for a pap smear, colposcopy and biopsy all in one day. The doctor saw some abnormalities and took 2 biopsies-- disappointed, I feared that I still had dysplasia and pysched myself these past 2 weeks for having to get a LEEP done.

So when the doctor called today and told me my biopsies showed NO DYSPLASIA, I was in utter shock and I was completely elated. Having gone from CIN I-II with endocervical gland duct involvement TO NO DYSPLASIA AT ALL (only atypical cells) was indeed amazing to me. While perhaps my body could have fought off and made the dysplasia regress on its own, I am 100% convinced that this health regimen my naturopathic doctor put me on helped out GREATLY, if not mostly, in my recovery.

So while my pap smear still showed atypia (ASCUS results), I know I have to still be vigilant and know I'm not completely out of the woods yet. This is why I'm still going to stay on my health regimen for maintainence and to make sure this nasty dysplasia never comes back. I hope this story has given some hope to you ladies out there and for any of you toying with the idea of trying naturopathic medicine, GO FOR IT! There is absolutely nothing to lose and you can always rely on traditional western medicine if it doesn't work for you. Please let me know if anyone has any more questions! Take care everyone and remember we're all in this together and we can all make it through successfully! Love to everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

merca_1 HB User
Re: Naturopathic Medical Success Story!

Congratulations lady!!!!
Is there anything specific you could share about the regimine?
The supposotories are of interest to me too!
Thanks you

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Sure I'd be happy to tell you all that I did during that 3-month period.

Unfortunately, I had to abstain from sex but this was easy for me as my boyfriend is currently in New York doing a residency. When he visited me, I took a 2-week break from my suppository regimen-- but for me, it didn't affect my overall results. You're supposed to abstain from penetrative sex during the regimen as your cervix needs time to heal and not be irritated by semen, etc.

I used three types of vaginal suppositories. For one week, I'd use a Vitamin A suppository before bed and at the end of the week I'd use this other suppository called vaginal depletion packs. Those were VERY irritating because the herb they use in it act like a naturopathic cyrosurgery-- that particular suppository is used to make the abnormal, dysplastic cells shed naturally. The week after I use the vitamin a suppository, I use another type of vaginal suppositories called pappiloderm suppositories, followed by another vaginal depletion pack suppository on the 7th night. I did this for three months, with a two week break in between.

My vitamin supplements consisted of LARGE amounts of folic acid (around 5 mg a day), beta carotene, a multivitamin, zinc lozenges, fish oil supplements, and a large amount of vitamin C. I cut back on caffeine (a cup every other day) and upped my intake of green tea. Also, I ate more dark, leafy veggies and had spinach salads almost everyday! I ate more fish and healthy protein (like edamame soy beans, lentil soups) and replaced white rice with brown rice. I also SLEPT plenty (at least 8 hours a day) and cut back on my stress levels, which was the biggest challenge. And EXERCISE is very, very important.

Seeing that you're in Oregon, you should check with a local naturopathic doctor if you're interested in trying this regimen. As far as I know, there are a couple of great naturopathic medical schools there and in Washington, so you'd probably find great doctors there. I hope this helps! Take care!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Congrats LA! That is wonderful news!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
(female)

sarmee HB User

Wow Congrats! I am so happy for you.. I was wondering how your results were going to turn out. YEAH! I ended up getting cryo myself and I have to get my 3 month pap to see how it is! Heres hoping for good results for me too!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Thanks ladies! I must say it's a HUGE relief to have benign biopsy results. I must say coming here to vent and meet other women on this forum really helped me through the mental stress of all this HPV/dysplasia crap the past 6 months. Here's to great results and re-paps for everyone!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgirl81 View Post
Sure I'd be happy to tell you all that I did during that 3-month period.

Unfortunately, I had to abstain from sex but this was easy for me as my boyfriend is currently in New York doing a residency. When he visited me, I took a 2-week break from my suppository regimen-- but for me, it didn't affect my overall results. You're supposed to abstain from penetrative sex during the regimen as your cervix needs time to heal and not be irritated by semen, etc.

I used three types of vaginal suppositories. For one week, I'd use a Vitamin A suppository before bed and at the end of the week I'd use this other suppository called vaginal depletion packs. Those were VERY irritating because the herb they use in it act like a naturopathic cyrosurgery-- that particular suppository is used to make the abnormal, dysplastic cells shed naturally. The week after I use the vitamin a suppository, I use another type of vaginal suppositories called pappiloderm suppositories, followed by another vaginal depletion pack suppository on the 7th night. I did this for three months, with a two week break in between.

My vitamin supplements consisted of LARGE amounts of folic acid (around 5 mg a day), beta carotene, a multivitamin, zinc lozenges, fish oil supplements, and a large amount of vitamin C. I cut back on caffeine (a cup every other day) and upped my intake of green tea. Also, I ate more dark, leafy veggies and had spinach salads almost everyday! I ate more fish and healthy protein (like edamame soy beans, lentil soups) and replaced white rice with brown rice. I also SLEPT plenty (at least 8 hours a day) and cut back on my stress levels, which was the biggest challenge. And EXERCISE is very, very important.

Seeing that you're in Oregon, you should check with a local naturopathic doctor if you're interested in trying this regimen. As far as I know, there are a couple of great naturopathic medical schools there and in Washington, so you'd probably find great doctors there. I hope this helps! Take care!
LAGirl, congratulations!!! Thanks for this post and some hope.

I just received a diagnosis of CIN 1/mild dysplasia with high risk strain(s) of HPV after 7 normal paps in a row. My past pap in 9/2006 was normal, so I probably contacted in the last year, year and a half. I had NO idea I had HR HPV (I was there for BV), but in retrospect, something's been off for months. I've had recurrent BV, something I've NEVER had before, and co-infections are common with STDs. I'm positive I got it from one of two partners I've had in the last 2 years (the others were either virgins, or protected, all long ago). Ironically, both were tested for every STD a man can be tested for, including herpes 1 and 2, and negative for all of them, but I still got HPV. What luck.

I'm scared because in the less than 1 year I've had this, my HPV has caused mild dysplasia. I don't know why my body is not clearing it and not even strong enough to fight off cellular changes. I think this means it's progressing fast? My ob was very flippant with me when I went in to ask questions--he didn't think my worry was warranted in the slightest--needless to say he didn't want to biopsy me either. So I'm geting a second opinion. I've been researching LEEP v. cryo, and undecided. I can't bear the wait and see approach, the waiting is the worst, but I want to preserve my fertility, and I know LEEP and cryo (and the other methods) can affect that.

Can you tell us specifically which suppositories you used? Did you make them yourself or can you buy them? Are they painful? Do they cause any irritation? You followed this regimen for 3 months, right?

No problem abstaining from sex for 3 months. After this horrible news, I'm considering abstaining from sex forever.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
(female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Brie,

I'm so sorry -- I didn't even know you responded to my post a while back! I wrote to you via Timber's post, so please read that response. I unfortunately cannot tell you the suppositories I used as it'll be censored on this forum. Also, I wouldn't advise undergoing this routine WITHOUT the supervision of a doctor -- and naturopathic doctors are not licensed in all US states. If this is an option that interests you, check out the national naturopathic physicians website online and see if there's a doctor in your area. They are all trained the same way (with slight variations, of course) and dysplasia is a disease they treat pretty effectively-- ESPECIALLY mild dysplasias (severe dysplasias require more extensive treatments).

Like I said, though, CIN I has a great chance ON ITS OWN of regressing -- if you undergo a naturopathic treatment it'll probably help your body speed up the healing process faster. It is quite pricey, however, and unfortunately is not covered by a lot of insurance plans. I am considering doing some more treatment until my next pap smear to make sure the dysplasia stays away. Please let me know if you have other specific questions about the treatment-- I advocate it 100% for those interested! I am NOT guaranteeing success for everyone, but based on my personal success I just wanted to let other women interested in this option know that it did indeed work for me. And I won't hesitate to do it again, if necessary.

If you ever have to get a cryo or LEEP, remember that they don't have significant impact on fertility. I think only 1-2% of women will experience complications and even then there are solutions for those issues. So don't worry! Keep calm and relaxed, eat healthy, don't smoke and limit alcohol and caffeine intake-- and if you keep your overall immune system up, this is the way to get to the root of the problem (HPV). Take care and good luck-- remember to give your body some time!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
(female)

marielle1984 HB User

Yay for LAGirl!!! You are giving us all hope. I have been on a similar regimine for the past couple months...The folic acid, vitamin A, etc, under a naturopathic doctor's care. I'm all done with the suppositories and go in for a repeat pap in two weeks. Its been a little harder for me to make all the necessary lifestyle changes (like alcohol and caffeine, stress, etc.) but I had full bloodwork done at the start of this whole thing, and it was near perfect, so I'm not too worried about that. I've noticed that since starting this whole thing, my cuts even heal a lot faster, so I'm hoping the same thing is going on down there! I'll let you all know what the results are...

I had a similar story as you, Brie... where suddenly I start getting LGSIL paps, and positive for HR HPV--after a boy that shouldnt have been. (Oh man do I regret that night...but theres no sense getting upset over the past.) Suddenly the doctor is recommending cryo, and of course I was worried that my body was being overtaken by this virus and wrecking havoc on my cervix, but I was still skeptical. I started doing my research, which helped me to understand this whole dysplasia thing a bit better. I had a second opinion, from another gyno, who said the same thing, despite my assertions that the literature says that CIN 1-2 has a very good chance of clearing up on its own! I felt why risk my fertility and all that when theres a better chance of it clearing up within a year or two, and a very slim chance that it will regress to cancer! I made a committment to seek another opinion, from a different frame of thinking-- the naturopathic doctor. She assured me what I was feeling deep down-- hey, if this is more than likely NOT going to get worse, why not try a different, more natural and less invasive method to help my body HEAL itself. I told myself that at the first sign of the dysplasia getting any worse, I'd do a leep or cryo or some other traditional method. Until then, I figure I better give my body the best chance possible to take care of itself.

I just want to stress that us with CIN I-II are in a unique position to take different courses of action- watchful waiting, cryo, or natural means-- because of what the reasearch shows as far as its progression/regression. I wouldnt recommend this for CIN III obviously, and no naturapathic or traditional doctor would either. But make sure you have as informed decision as you possibly can-- if the doc doesnt attend to your questions and concerns, auf her! Do your research and find someone who can explain ALL the options really well, to the point where you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make. And let this be your body's way of telling you that you need to make a few changes in your life to allow it to heal itself!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
(female)

BE 123 HB User

Hey marielle! Nice to see you here again. I stalked your posts too! I'm crossing my fingers for your repap.

Girl, did you ever hit the nail on the head with the "boy who shouldn't have been." How many times have I kicked myself in the head even BEFORE my bad pap for my stupidity a year ago! Anyway, as you said it's pointless now, so I am trying to focus on my health more--although very disappointed that I didn't clear this right away, since there actually isn't much more I can do to better my lifestyle. I am hoping the folic acid helps, I wasn't taking it before and I may have been slightly deficient. If I understand correctly, CIN 1-2 is different from CIN2? Is that it's more than 1/3 but less than 2/3?

What kind of suppositories did you use if you don't mind my asking? I am seeing a holistic doctor who also practices traditional western medicine over the holidays and wanted to make sure what she recommends is in line with what the other ladies here have had success with.

Thanks for checking back and best of luck with your repap.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I am glad to see someone take a natural approach to healing. People cure themselves of all types of cancer as long as it isn't too late from changing their lifestyle and seeking a natuorpathic doctor. This is shows that our bodies don't repsond well to the artificial foods and chemicals used to treat and grow our foods, cleaning products, beauty products, etc - because it isn't natural and our bodies don'r process the "junk" well. Today, many people do not get enough proper nutrients and with everything combined I believe this is why we have so many health issues that drugs cannot cure. I am glad to read your story and if my abnormal cells ever progressed I plan on also seeking a naturopathic doctor. I refuse to let anyone remove, cut out, etc. anything from me until I give it a natural shot. I would also be a wake up call too!

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 12-02-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Closed Thread