It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

katy092 HB User
im so scared ! cervical cancer?

Hi I am 23 and for the past month or so I have had abnormal vaginal bleeding. At first it was spotting, then it was all the time, now its slowing down but I bleed for sure when I go to the bathroom or when I am having sex. So I was concerned so I went to the doctor and he gave me a pap smear and scheduled a ultrasound and a blood test. I had all that done and the test results came back fine.. so I thought I was fine. But today he calls me and says my pap smear came back abnormal. I was kinda in a daze when he was talking on the phone so I am confused. He is scheduling me for a colopscopy and a biopsy. Those words themselves freaked me out. Then he went on to saying they arent diagnosing me with cervical cancer yet and that worst case is cervical cancer. And something about being low grade. I am soo confused ! Could I really have cervical cancer?! My grandmother died from that. I am so scared. What does being low grade mean? I've had period problems for the past year or so. And I experience pelvic pain every now and then. Any advice would be appreciated ! thanks !

Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

CynwithCIN HB User
Re: im so scared ! cervical cancer?

When he says low grade he is probably referring to low grade squamous lessions. (CIN I) My advice would be to try and take things as it comes. I know how hard the waiting is though...I truly feel for you. Once a biopsy is performed you should have a better idea of where you stand. I hope they are going to be able to get you in right away. Wishing you lots of luck, please let us know how you are doing!!!

Hugs!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

smith77 HB User

Ok Katy take a deep breath and do not panik! I am 25 and was in the same situation as you in May 2007. Not let me just explain to you what the pap test is for and was the abnormal results can mean, as by the sounds of it your doctor hasnt helped you much!!!

The smear (pap) test is designed to find any changes of the cells on your cervix. Its proven that these changes can lead to cancer in years to come. There are three grades which you can have. The first one is low grade (CIN I) this means you have very minor changes on your cervix and will probably go back to normal by itself. the next stage is moderate grade (CIN II) this again can go back to normal but sometimes need treatment. And the third grade is severe grade (CIN III) this means the cells have changed severely and you will need treatment. If CIN III (severe grade) is left untreated then it can become cancer (average time 7-10 years) according to my gyno.

Can I just make it clear to you that all these grades are NOT cancer but simply just changes in the cells which Can (not always) lead to cancer if not treated. This is why we have pap tests.

Now I am not sure of the symptoms of cervical cancer so sorry cant help you there. I didnt have any bleeding or problems I just symply went for a routine pap test thinking everything was fine...so was I got the letter saying abnormal I was so shocked! I was then releaved to find out this is Very common so I felt abit better. The colposcopy is very similar to a smear test the do it the same way but they just use a camera to look at your cervix (this doesnt go inside you). The can then tell you what grade the abnomality is. Mine was CIN III which I was very upset about as my last smear was normal so in the space of 3 years I had got a severe abnormality..scary or what. The doctor will then do a biopsy to send off to the lab just to confirm you dont have cancer. Not the cances of it being cancer are very slim, providing you have always gone for your routine smears etc, plus you are very young. Also your doctor mentioned low grade, so I am asuming your pap smear signaled that there were low grade changes? If this is the case then you dont have anything to worry about.
There are many things which can be causing the bleeding and pain etc and your doctor will need to look into that for you....I wish you lots of luck.

i go for another pap test on 6th dec (and colposcopy) to see if the abnormal cells have gone...I am so nervous. I feel too young for this.

take care x

Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
(female)

casey7 HB User
Thumbs up Re: im so scared ! cervical cancer?

[QUOTE=katy092;3305614]hi katy i was 24years old the phone rang one day it was a nurse to make a new app for me as my pap smear was abnormal firstly i said ok wrote the date down hung up started to vaccum the carpet then it hit me abnormal...............well i didnt know what to think my mum passed at 36years old from cancer ovarian,my brother bone cancer-now my dads got cancer terminal so what i did was went to doctors on my own as i had my sheild up at the time it was my world only i felt,also i had 3 children to think of,.
now i went in saw a professor and gyno e.t.c.had dye placed inside me showing them whatever anyway had to do what you are about to do but please listen i was cin2 they done lazer treatment burning it away i have always since then had pap test regularly make sure you do.abnormal cells dont always mean the worst sweety ok so hang in there and certainly let me know how things are progressing.
thinking of you
casey7

Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

You don't have cervical cancer. You have very early abnormal cellular changes on your cervix that, in some cases, progress to cervical cancer over time. This pre-cancerous condition is called dysplasia. Fortunately, the cure rate is 100% if you have it treated! The treatments are pretty easy. So don't panic. Just keep in touch with your doctor and follow their follow-up recommendations.

It may make you feel better to start doing research on dysplasia so you can understand your options. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
(female)

katy092 HB User

So I went in to my doctors office and talked to him this morning since the nurse who called just freaked me out and didn't tell me much. My results came back cin1 low grade squamous intraephitehial lesions, mild dysplasia. I have to go for my colopscopy and biopsy november 27th. he said something about getting leep procedure or a cone biopsy? so does this mean I have pre cancer? And does any of these procedures hurt? Im still scared, but not as bad I guess.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

smith77 HB User

the colposcopy doesnt hurt its just like a long smear test where they look at your cervix with a camera (which does not go in side), they but a solution on your cervix which makes any abnormal cells turn white.

Your doctor will then take a biopsy of these areas to confirm that you have CIN I (low grade). Sometimes you can have CIN I in one area but CIN II in the other area.

Depending on your doctor he may decide to remove these areas through LEEP. Depending on where you live you may be put to sleep. I have noticed a lot of ladies from the UCA are put to sleep but in england on the NHS they tend to push you towareds been awake (to save money) but I strongly suggest you push to be put to sleep or to be sedated.

it can be quite nerve wracking knowing whats going on which can make you feel quite scared. it is only a minor operation though, so nothing to worry about and most of the time when these pre cancerous cells have been removed your cervix will go back to normal.

You will be fine xx

Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

CynwithCIN HB User

Mild dysplasia means only a few of the cells on your cervix are abnormal. It is possible for CIN I to regress without any treatment. CIN II-III are less likely to regress & without treatment CIN III will likely progress to cancer in time. CIN III is still considered a precancerous condition. With CIN I, some women opt for watchfull waiting, and others opt to treat immediately. The biopsy results will be more realiable in terms of what grade of dysplasia you have. My advice would be to wait for those results before making any concrete decisions about treatment. I was not given the option to wait because of the grade mine was, and was told I needed to have LEEP. They used local anaesthesia, and the procedure went very smoothly for me. I don't recall feeling any pain during, and only minor discomfort after. Unfortunately though, its different for everyone so its hard to really say what it would be like for you. I have heard some women had a very difficult time with their LEEP.

Hopefully you are a patient person. I am lacking in this arena. The waiting is very hard in the beginning. Its still difficult for me now. It will begin to seem like you are always waiting for appointments, then for those results, then maybe for treatment, then those results. Then for follow up appointments, then for those results. You get the idea, its endless waiting. Hang in there, and try to keep yourself busy inbetween if you can. Driving yourself crazy with worry will only weaken your immune system, and you need that to be at its strongest now. Good luck on the 27th, please keep us posted!!

Hugs!

Last edited by CynwithCIN; 11-16-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
(female)

casey7 HB User

hello Timber i dont understand your post maybe you read it wrong i dont have cercical cancer now but at the age of 24 i did-i was speaking of my past to Katy sorry for any miss judgement casey7.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Casey,

Don't worry, I was replying to the original poster, not you!

Closed Thread