It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

kathys7777 HB User
Please comment on symptoms - visit to doctor in order?

I am 50 years old, 14 months out from treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and 36 radiation treatments.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1987, both ovaries left in place. No problems with ovaries to date.

For the past three months, I have had abdominal pain in the lower right region. At times it is a stabbing/burning pain but at all times it is an aching pain, more like a feeling of "heaviness." I have experienced this pain in the past but it was not constant like it is now. I previously attributed it to ovulation pain although I never charted it (no periods to chart so I didn't pay much attention).

I have had lower back pain for a few months as well, only on the right side. Both the back pain and the abdominal pain are very far down and low on the right side, the abdominal pain borders on being almost in the groin region. (Sorry, wish I knew how to describe it better!)

I have gained considerable "girth" in the past year. I've always carried my excess weight in my hips and thighs, never in my stomach. Now I look pregnant, although not so much as to be alarmed.

Now my recent problem is that I have a horrible problem with "filling up" too quickly at meals. I can be starving at mealtime only to feel bloated and uncomfortably full with only a few bites. I'm miserable after a regular size meal, many times to the point of having to lie down because my stomach aches so badly. This happens when I eat very nominally, not a huge meal. It's so frustrating! Tonight was the worst. I ate most of my soup appetizer and was literally hurting from the bloating before my meal arrived. My stomach ached horribly after eating the soup and half of a salad.

I also have daily indigestion and have to take medication daily in order to be able to sleep at night. It causes a great deal of pain in my chest along with breathing issues.

I am overweight (20 lbs or so) but in my opinion not enough to be having such severe issues with difficulty eating/bloating/indigestion. I have been at the same weight for more than three years but these symptoms are all fairly recent.

In November I had bladder sling surgery because of my problems with stress incontinence and frequent urination. I still have issues with frequent urination, although not as bad as before the surgery. Could the urination symptoms have been connected to the other symptoms listed above, rather than simply "getting old" as my urologist implied?

What is your opinion about the sum of these symptoms? I'm worried that these symptoms are consistent with ovarian cancer (according to research I've done on the internet, nothing sophisticated!) but I don't want to be an alarmist. Or could these symptoms indicate a cyst as well?

Does anyone know if having breast cancer (diagnosed at age 49) increases the chance of developing ovarian cancer?

I went to the gynecologist in November so will not have another annual appointment for many months. I don't want to be the "boy that cries wolf" but I also don't want to be stupid.

Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts or input? Thank you so much!

-Kathy

Last edited by kathys7777; 01-23-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: correct spelling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: Please comment on symptoms - visit to doctor in order?

Kathy...I would recommend getting these symtoms checked out with your doc as soon as you can. It could be nothing, but there is a problem, the earlier you find out, the better. The liver is in the area you've described, as well as the ovary, pancreas, and gall bladder. (Do you still have your gall bladder? Gallstones could cause these symptoms.) I think an ultrasound or a CT scan would be a reasonable option for you, and they're not invasive or uncomfortable. After having breast cancer, new symptoms should always be investigated. I'll be praying for you!! This could also be menopausal in nature. Hormonal changes can really mess you up!! Please keep us posted. I think you'd feel better if you saw the doctor. By the way, I had a cyst a while back, and I had the worst indigestion and bloating ever! Ovarian cysts can cause many of these symptoms (speaking from experience). In my opinion, you'd be better off to get it checked out for peace of mind. And the sooner, the better. I'll be praying for you, as I know the Good Lord has a wonderful plan for your life.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Please comment on symptoms - visit to doctor in order?

Hello Kathy,

I think that you definitely have to go see a physician as soon as possible. I do not want to alarm you but breast cancer and ovarian cancer are related so you need to rule this out as quickly as possible. As the previous reply mentioned, your symptoms could also be due to a large ovarian cyst but why guess about this ? Get an ultrasound and make sure there is nothing in there that could pose a threat to your health. The ultrasound is painless and takes about 10 minutes to complete. Do not wait for your next yearly appointment and for heaven's sake don't worry about appearing to cry wolf. You had breast cancer and any new symptoms that you are experiencing need to be checked out right away. It may very well end up being an aging issue (ie. your ovaries would be beginning to shut down at around this age so your hormones may be going a little crazy) but don't take any chances with your health. Press for an immediate appointment with your gynecologist.

I hope everything turns out OK.

Closed Thread