It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Unhappy Cancerous cysts?

Hi -

I am a 42 year old who has health anxiety. (I'm seeing a therapist for it.) Anyway, I went to the doc last week because I'd been having what seemed like an on-going period. (I usually have a 4-5 day period and this one was on day 12 and counting) - the doctor said at my age she felt very certain the bleeding was either peri-menopausal chaos or a fibroid, but to see if it was a fibroid she wanted me to have a pelvic ultrasound. I got the results back and I have a "complex" cyst on my right ovary.

They say you shouldn't get on the Internet or you'll make yourself crazy, but I couldn't resist. I ran across a website that mentioned complex ovarian cysts can sometimes be cancerous. I started bawling at work when I read it! I'm supposed to have a follow-up ultrasound in 6 weeks, but I guess I'm upset that the doctor didn't even mention the possibilitiy of cancer. (Cancer is the main health concern I have anxiety about!)

Any thoughts would be great!

supermom3

Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Cancerous cysts?

Complex cysts can be a lot of things that are non-cancerous as well. I had a complex cyst as well (I'm 29) and it was/is basically full of blood and clots. I am going back on the 20th to have it re-checked. I have PCOS, so I get cysts quite frequently. I think the chances of your cyst being benign are VERY good, and I would try to not worry about it.
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Cancerous cysts?

Supermom

Over twenty years ago I was diagnosed with a cyst on my left ovary. I had it removed and it was benign. Try not to worry Mom. My prayers are with you.

Nadine

Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi,

I've had many complex cysts over the past two years, and in fact, I just had a complex, solid cyst (tumor) removed from my left ovary in December which was causing me to have all of the symptoms of ovarian cancer. It was benign, as are the majority of ovarian cysts, complex or otherwise.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Lisa

Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello,

What Lisa says is bang on. Most cysts of any type are benign. My sister in law had a very large 12 cm septated complex cyst and add to that, her CA-125 was elevated. She went in for major surgery, ready for them to remove whatever they had to remove and guess what ? It was a benign growth so they took it out, sewed her up and now she has one more life changing experience to talk about. I too have a large cyst, although mine is a 7.5 cm simple cyst (ie. filled with fluid). It is not going away and my doctors think it is an abnormal serous cyst (ie. not a regular functional cyst). There is a very slight chance that these can be cancerous too so I am keeping an eye on it with ultrasounds.

Like you, I have a terrible habit of letting my mind run away with me and yes I too can't help performing research on the internet. My doctor has told me that "I read too much" but I always become obsessed about ruling out all of the possible worst case scenarios before I can relax and instead, I end up adding more (!). Like you, it is cancer I am most worried about and I think that part of the reason is all of the media telling us to get screened and checked because we may all have cancer and not know it. I think that this manages to FREAK the heck out of a lot of us and cause health anxiety for those of us who are more "cautious". Try looking up something simple on the internet, like a headache, and you will find a site that includes brain tumours and anurisms as a cause.

Ovarian cancer is a very rare disease and benign ovarian cysts (of any kind) are extremely common. So which do you suppose is most likely in your case ? In addition, ovarian cancer occurs most frequently in post menopausal women so this means that your chances are even lower. And add to that, if you have ever been on the birth control pill or had children (which I am guessing by your web name that you have) your chances are even lower. Try to see the most likely explanation rather than the most bleak one. Like me, you will have to work hard at this but if you don't do it, you will end up actually MAKING yourself sick. Stay as busy as you can for the next six weeks and try not to worry. I am sure that everything will be fine.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Thank you so much to all of you who replied!

Love,
supermom3

Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
(female)

pvgilberts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom3 View Post
Hi -

I am a 42 year old who has health anxiety. (I'm seeing a therapist for it.) Anyway, I went to the doc last week because I'd been having what seemed like an on-going period. (I usually have a 4-5 day period and this one was on day 12 and counting) - the doctor said at my age she felt very certain the bleeding was either peri-menopausal chaos or a fibroid, but to see if it was a fibroid she wanted me to have a pelvic ultrasound. I got the results back and I have a "complex" cyst on my right ovary.

They say you shouldn't get on the Internet or you'll make yourself crazy, but I couldn't resist. I ran across a website that mentioned complex ovarian cysts can sometimes be cancerous. I started bawling at work when I read it! I'm supposed to have a follow-up ultrasound in 6 weeks, but I guess I'm upset that the doctor didn't even mention the possibilitiy of cancer. (Cancer is the main health concern I have anxiety about!)

Any thoughts would be great!

supermom3

I just went through basically the same thing. My gyn told me at 41 it is prob. not cancer, but it is something to check and make sure of. I had the pelvic ultrasound, complex cyst on my left ovary. Had a CT scan, and it showed concern also. I was refered to an gyn-oncologist. He told me I am there not because it is cancer, but becauser IF it is cancer an oncologist is the one trained to do the proper procedure. He went as far at to tell me he didn't think it would be cancerous once he got in there to take my ovary out (the cyst was 10 cm.) and it might end up being a fibroid. I am 3&1/2 weeks out of the operating room healing fine and yes it was just a fibroid, no cancer. Try not to panic, it may all be for nothing. Hope it all turns out well for you.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

thanks for your reply! so, from what a gyn told me today, I think she said fibroids and cysts are basically the same thing?

thanks!
supermom3

Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi Morrisun!

My doctor also mentioned yesterday when I called her (for a prescription for anxi-anxiety meds!) that she had always seen the word "suspicious" on any ultrasound reports where the radiologist is concerned about what they see and mine didn't.
Thanks for your positive thoughts!
supermom3

Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
(female)

TatCat HB User

Hi Supermom,
I am on my 2nd day home from surgery. My story sounds much like yours.
I was having long, very heavy, very painful periods. I went for my annual exam in Sept and talked to my Dr about it.
She did an abdominal ultrasound and there were a couple of complex cysts on my ovaries. We watched them over the next few months and one of the cysts went away, and the other one grew a little each month.
In January she did a CA125 that came back elevated. The normal value for the test performed was 25 and mine was 91. She sent me to a Gyn/Onc and he did an endometrial biopsy that came back negative.
Anyway, I had a TAHBSO this past Wednesday and the preliminary pathology was all negative! The Dr told me my uterus was huge, filled with fibriods, and I had endometriosis, which was never mentioned until after surgery! I had several cysts, one that was complex and that was the one that we were watching that caused all of the trouble with me, I also had a lot of adhesions. All of this contributed to the elevated CA125.
I did all of the same things everyone else did. I researched myself into such anxiety that I ended up on Xanax and Inderal to keep my blood pressure down..
As it has been said, keep your mind busy. I know it's easier said than done, but if you try, you can at least give yourself some days of sanity! These tests do nothing for your anxiety levels, and it seemed that every time I spoke to my Gyn she had something that sent my mind wandering into a terrible place! My GP held my hand A LOT, and of course, this board was a wonderful source of support,
I wish you the best. Please keep us posted and if you need support, well, we are here.
Cat

Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

to tatcat!

Hi! What is a TAHBSO? Thanks for your reply and all of your good, positive advice! So, I'm guessing from your reply that everything ended up being benign? Do you know if it's a bad sign if your cyst isn't causing pain? I guess I'm thinking if it's benign it's going to burst and I'll know it?!

I look forward from hearing back from you!

hugs,
supermom3

Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
(female)

TatCat HB User

Hi Supermom,
A TAHBSO is a hysterectomy with removal of the tubes and ovaries. I had that due to family history, and once the Dr got in there, it was a complete mess! And yes, it was benign. I was also pre menopausal, I am 48 years old.
My complex cyst didn't cause me much pain, most of my pain was on the right side where I had functional cysts. I also worried about the cyst rupturing, but... it didn't. I also came up with a lot of other creative horrible thoughts!
It's amazing how creative we get when we let our minds wander!
I too, was terrified.. please try to relax and keep your mind busy with other things. I worked myself up so badly that my blood pressure soared and I was put on meds for that too.
The vast majority of ovarian cysts are benign... I know that doesn't really mean anything when you have one and look on the internet, I did more damage to myself that way than any other.
Maybe you should bring the subject up to your Dr. He/she may be able to put your mind at ease.
Take care, and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.
Cat

Last edited by TatCat; 02-16-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi again!

Thanks for your reply, info, and advice! I have spoken to my doctor at the advice of my therapist, and she phoned in a prescription for a few days worth of anti-anxiety meds. They definitely help!

I guess not have horrible pains from a cyst doesn't mean it's bad news . . . I am going to stay positive, even if it means staying off the sites I've seen on cysts . . . I think I literally pulled up every site out there and there's no where else left to look.

I still feel it's helpful and comforting, though, to message back and forth with other ladies in similar situations.

My gynocologist agreed to do an ultrasound on 2/28 because she saw how distraught I was, although she feels strongly that it's not cancerous. She said if it hasn't shrunk or disappeared she'll do another u/s in another 3 weeks from 2/28.

take care and message back if you'd like. I am glad you came out of everything ok. by the way, I'm 42.

supermom3

Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
(female)

TatCat HB User

It was very helpful and comforting to me to be on this board. Best to you, and please keep us posted.
cAt

Closed Thread