It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Ultrasound Report on Cyst

Hi all!

I got a copy of my ultrasound report because they found a complex cyst on my right ovary - I have health anxiety and just wanted the report - I have been having major anxiety the past 2 days (I see a therapist for it), and I talked with my doctor by phone today and she said that the radiologist will always make a statement about looking "suspicious" on the report if they are concerned - my says nothing about being suspicious. She said if it would have she would have jumped on it right away rather than waiting a few weeks to do another ultrasound.

Have any of you ever had a copy of your reports before? If so, did they say "suspicious" and they turned out to be something - or nothing? Sorry to ramble.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

supermom3

Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Ultrasound Report on Cyst

Hi,

I've had a ton of ultrasound reports over the past two and a half years for complex cysts and none of them have ever said "suspicious". I even had a complex, solid cyst (which is actually a tumor) and even with all the symptoms of cancer, including weight loss of 25 lbs. in a few months, my doctor wasn't worried. When I had my surgery to have both ovaries removed, everything was benign, including a large tumor in one of my fallopian tubes that no one knew about.

Complex cysts are very common, and are very rarely ever cancerous. (From my research, it seems that you have about the same chance of being in an auto accident as you do of having ovarian cancer or about a 1 in 71 chance.)

Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know.) Chance are you'll be fine.

Hugs,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Thanks, Lisa!

I got freaked out because I was going to any site I could find on complex ovarian cysts, and I kept finding, "could be cancerous" -

not to be too personal, but why did you have to have your ovaries removed?

thanks again!

supermom3

Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi Supermom3,

I'm 45 and my doctor told me that if I wanted to get permanent relief from the pain of the cysts I've had for the last couple of years, that I needed to think about having "what was left" of my ovaries removed (his words). And that one complex, solid cyst (tumor) was causing a lot of problems.

As it turns out, when he got in there, he found extremely severe adhesions (scar tissue) and my ovaries were stuck to my pelvic wall, my colon, and each other. He had a time getting everything out. But evidentially, all of that and the tumors and cysts were causing all of my symptoms, because I haven't had any problems since.

I'm very glad I had the surgery. I healed very quickly and was back at work in two weeks. I've had no menopausal symptoms either, as my doctor put me on the Vivelle-Dot transdermal patch the day after surgery. I really can't even tell I've had surgery, except that I feel worlds better.

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi again Lisa!

Thanks for sharing your story! Hey, do you know if cysts don't cause symptoms (pain and major bleeeding) that it could be a bad sign? I just know that other than occasional achiness on that side, I haven't had any major pain (like I would imagine if it ruptured) - the only reason I went to the doctor in the first place was because I was having an ongoing period which isn't normal for me - I'm still having light bleeding but my regular doctor and my gyn aren't concerned about it - they think it's either from fluctuating hormones (i'm 42) or from the cyst.

any thoughts would be great!

hugs,

supermom3

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi again, Lisa, and any other gals reading this post -

I think what keeps nagging at me is that my cyst isn't "simple", it's "complex" -

My doctor said that if there was any concern, the radiologist would have mentioned the word "suspicious" in the report - I guess my anxiety problem is what keeps me re-assured by people (even professionals) for a temporary amount of time.

supermom3

supermom3

Closed Thread