It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

townhouse101 HB User
Unhappy Cancerous cysts.

Hi. I have a kinda similiar story and am VERY nervous and scared about ovarian cancer. Basically I have a 4.6 cm complex cyst on my left ovary that has not changed in size since it was first discovered during my first pregnancy in 2004. Since then, I have had numberous U/S and MRI which showed no growth in the cyst but multiple septations with thin walls, no asecties (actually MRI showed little but GYN said it was minimal and could be due to ovulation), no symptoms and rest of pelvic region and right ovary look clear. The radiology report would not confirm benign or malignant but my GYN thinks it is benign. I am getting it taken out on Feb 28th and they will perform patholgy which my GYN said gives the correct answer.

I am still very worried. Do you think the cyst could be cancerous? Do my characteristics sound malignant? I heard HORROR stories about cysts that GYNs were convinced were benign and once they came out they were found to be malignant. I am so scared of this. I am 29 years old and have two small children and am so scared of it being cancer. My GYN said if it is malignant is probably is borderline maligancy. ANyone have experience with this? Sorry for being so long..I am just very scared!! Thanks for listening (and reading!!).

Elizabeth

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Re: Cancerous cysts?

to townhouse101,

from what I've been told, the vast majority of cysts are benign - if they grow over time, they like to remove them and test them - I go in for a follow-up ultrasound on the 28th! Just crossing my fingers that my complex cyst has dissolved or shrunk - keep positive!

supermom3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Townhouse,

The reason that they told you that if the cyst is cancerous, it would be a borderline malignancy is that if the thing has not changed or caused problems in four entire years then if it is (absolute worst case scenario) malignant, it would be a type of cancer that moves very very slowly (ie. becomes borderline cancer and then cancer over a very long period of time). This means that your absolute worst case scenario is that you have a completely treatable cancer that is totally contained. Most likely the cyst will be benign like so many are. Try to think on the positive side rather than on the negative, especially since in your case, the positive is the most likely to occur (most ovarian cancer occurs in menopausal women). Think how wonderful you will feel after having the damned thing out and when they tell you everything is fine and you won't have to schedule that next ultrasound and worry about what is on it ...

Here's to a quick and painless procedure that will take the load off your mind once and for all. Don't forget to ask the anaesthesiologist for an anti emetic if you have a tendency toward nausea (as most premenopausal women do). This will keep you nice and comfortable after surgery.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

townhouse101 HB User

Thanks for your thoughts. My GYN said the same thing. That if the cyst is cancerous, it will probably be the borderline kind since of the four year no change. Also, she said in her experience that she only had one patient in my age group with malignancy and it was the borderline type and she is doing great and has since has two kids! I am trying to be positive but it can be hard when you read stuff on the internet. I need to stay away from the websites! Thanks again.

Closed Thread