It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

townhouse101 HB User
Ovarian Cancer and Weight Loss

Hi Everyone,

I have read on many websites that ovarian cancer can cause weight loss. I was diagnosed with a complex ovarain cyst and am having it removed on Feb 28th. I feel like I am losing weight rapidly and am scared. Did anyone who was diagnosed with OVCA ever experience weight loss as a symptom? I heard weight gain around the middle adbomen is more common. Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Ovarian Cancer and Weight Loss

Hi townhouse,

Yes I believe that weight gain and an increase in abdominal girth is the more common symptom of OVCA. This is usually due to ascites that build up in the abdomen. There are usually also other symptoms such as gastrointestinal problems, nausea and fatigue. Unfortunately, a lot of these symptoms are also related to benign ovarian cysts which makes OVCA extremely difficult to diagnose.

Your weight loss is most likely due to the worrying that you are experiencing which is affecting your appetite. I have been through a lot of this type of worrying in the past few years and have noticed that when I am extremely worried about a health condition and blow it out of proportion (as I have a habit of doing .. I have an amazing imagination), I loose my appetite and tend to eat less, thereby loosing weight. Try keeping an eye on your diet and see if this is the actual cause of your weight loss. I am willing to bet that it is.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how things turn out. I have my ultrasound today and am praying that there is either a positive change or no change at all with my cyst. Think positive thoughts !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

townhouse101 HB User

Hi

Thanks for writing back. I am really stressed out about this cyst so I think that might have somethng to do with my weight loss. Plus I just stopped taking the birth control pill, Loestrin and maybe I had some water weight from that come off. Who knows?? All I know is that this darn cyst is driving me crazy and in turn driving my family crazy as well, especially my husband. I am trying to stay positive but am very scared about the biopsy results. Thanks again for listening.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi townhouse,

Yes going off the pill may cause you to loose a few pounds and this is what happened to me last September. I never actually realized that the pill was that big of a problem in loosing weight (I could stand to loose weight).

Don't worry about driving everyone crazy. They are your family and you will do them the same favour if necessary. Men really don't understand the stress that women go through with these cysts. My husband does not understand me and my sister in law had a terrible time with her husband who played the martyr because she was stressing "him" out (can you imagine ?!). You just do what you have to do to try to relax until you have your answer. Try to think positively and don't waste your time making yourself sick with worry when it is extremely likely that you will have positive results.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you make out. We're all rooting for you !

Closed Thread