It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

townhouse101 HB User
Visit to Oncologist

Hi Everyone,

Well my last two days have been crazy. I got a call early yesterday from a GYN ONC saying that my GYN wants me to see him! Of course, I freaked out because my GYn felt that my cyst is benign so she originally said there was no reason to visit him (BTW, I have a 4.6 cm left ovarian complex cyst for the past 3+ years).

Well to make a long story short, my husband and I went yesterday to see him and he examined me and looked over my MRI reports. After the exam he asked us to see him in his office and said that he in his "professional opinion" the mass is benign. All characteristics point toward benign and now growth for 3+ years. Of course, I am still scared and although I trust him and understand that this is what he does all day every day, a part of me is still nervous.

What does everyone think? If anyone has seen an oncologist, were they correct in the diagnosis? To top all of this off, my 11 month old daughter had a bad cold and fever since Sunday (she is finally OK) and now I am sick too. I did read on online that a fever could be a sign of cancer. I have been ill since yesterday and hope the fever starts to go down tomorrow or Sat.

This whole situation is SO stressful!! I really feel for everyone on this board and am praying for you all!! Please write back with your thoughts when you get a chance.

Elizabeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: Visit to Oncologist

Elizabeth...I'm so sorry you're going through this! I think your oncologist is pretty sure, or he wouldn't have even THOUGHT about saying he thinks it's benign. You know, they always try to make sure their rear-ends are covered, so I think if he had ANY doubt, he wouldn't have mentioned benign! And I'm sure your fever is a gift from your little girl, and not cancer! I believe that everything is just fine, but I would have to say that it would only give you more peace of mind if you had it removed. I know, I know, it's a crappy thing to have surgery, but at least you wouldn't have ANY doubt. If it were me, I'd get it taken out, but that's just worry-wart me, lol. While I firmly believe it's NOT cancer, I believe you'd sleep better at night after it's gone. I'll definitely be praying for you, girl! Everything is going to be A-OK!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

TatCat HB User

Elizabeth,
I just went through this myself! I had a cyst that we were watching for several months. My Gyn and I decided to do a hysterectomy because I was having several problems. I told her that I wanted to keep one of my ovaries, and that is when things spiraled downward....
She ordered a CA125 that was drawn on Jan, 2nd 2008. On the 4th she called me a and told me that it was elevated to 91.
She then referred me to a Gyn/Onc. When I saw him, he said that there was a 1 in 10 chance that they cyst was malignant.
(these are the crib notes!) We scheduled surgery and it was performed on 2/13/08.
The preliminary report was benign, as was the final report. (whew!)
BUT, I really believe that he gave me his best professional guess, and even though it didn't really completely calm me down, it did help.
They see this every day, and I'm sure that based on experience, they would NEVER say anything like that unless they truly believed it.
I am recovering very comfortably now, the surgery went off without a hitch, and I feel very relieved.
I'm betting that we share the same story. Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.
Cat

Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi Elizabeth,

I was seeing a gyn/oncologist for cervical carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread yet.) During the course of my treatment and follow-up, a 4-cm complex, solid ovarian cyst (tumor) was found on my left ovary. It was thought that this was the same cyst that I'd been diagnosed with two years previous.

Even though I was having all of the symptoms of ovarian cancer (tummy bloating, constipation/diarrhea, weight loss of 25 lbs. in just a few months, lack of appetite, constant pain, etc.) the oncologist did not feel that the cyst was cancerous. He said that my symptoms were probably caused by the cyst itself.

And he was right. I had both ovaries removed (the other one had several functional cysts) on December 19, and everything was benign, even the tumor found in one of my fallopian tubes during the surgery.

While it's true that ovarian cancer can't be 100% ruled out until a biopsy or surgery, the majority of ovarian cysts are benign. I don't think you have anything to worry about. (And if your daughter has been ill, then I think that would explain your fever.)

I hope everything turns out okay for you. Let us know what you find out.

Big hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 02-22-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

townhouse101 HB User

Thanks for your replies. Please keep me in your prayers this week when I go for surgery on the 28th!

Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

TatCat HB User

Please let us know how you do! I will say a prayer for you.
Cat

Closed Thread