It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

TEEEB HB User
Pain after ultrasound???

Forgive me if I am posting to the wrong message board. I wasn’t sure if I should ask those on the ‘woman issues’ or here… I thought maybe this group would be more likely to have experience with transvaginal ultrasounds. I have had pelvic pain for a few months and found out (through an ultrasound) a couple of months ago, that I have a 2 cm cyst on my right ovary. I went for my follow up ultrasound yesterday and do not yet have the results. My question – at this point – is actually about the procedure and its affect. After the 1st ultrasound, my abdominal pain did increase. I’m experiencing the same reaction today. I really feel like my pain level is somewhere around an 8 (on a scale of 1 – 10). This is much more pain than I typically have. I’m nauseous and a little dizzy. I’m having difficulty thinking and concentrating. Walking hurts, sitting hurts, standing too long makes me hurt. I feel like my abdomen is stretched to its max – bloated. I don’t remember the 1st ultrasound causing this much pain.

Can anyone comment or provide input?

Thanks to everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

abeeson01 HB User
Re: Pain after ultrasound???

TEEEB, wow! I thought I was the only one this happened to. About a month ago I went into the doctor for what I thought was going to be a normal, ordinary ultrasound. Was I wrong! Prior to this appointment I had never even heard of a transvaginal ultrasound! Needless to say, I had both an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound performed. OUCH!

My ultrasounds were scheduled for 10:20 am. Because of a heavy patient load, my actual doctors appt. was scheduled for 1:20 that afternoon. I was in so much pain from the ultrasound when I finally got in to see the doctor I could not sit down. Apparently she noticed right away that there was a problem. The report from the ultrasounds indicated two cysts on my right ovary. However, during the procedure the pain was all on the left side of my abdomen. Of course she decided to do an exam (ouch again) that has ultimately led her to believe that the cause of my pain is my cervix.

I have had a long history of abdominal/pelvic pain and abnormal menstrual cycles (heavy bleeding lasting 2-3 weeks per month). In addition I have recently found out that I was positive for HPV and have severe dysplaysia. This past Monday I had a LEEP procedure performed and am currently awaiting the results from that procedure. My next step is to have a LAVH (Lapriscopically Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) on April 3rd. I am hoping that takes care of some of my issues.

I wish you the best of luck with what you are going through. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I believe with cysts, that having a full bladder can cause the pain (not the actual ultrasound). I wouldn't say in all cases, but mine - with or without an ultrasound if I hold it too long I have pain, BAD pain for a very long time afterwards. It must press on the cyst which them might press on something else. Since you have to have a full bladder for an u/s this could be the actual problem. I didn't think the transvaginal itself was very painful, although it was uncomfortable.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Zoegirl, I was allowed to empty my bladder before the transvaginal ultra sound was performed. In my case the abdominal ultrasound was "uncomfortable" but the other was PAINFUL! That is just my experience. It may just be that I have a lot going on as it is. I'm not sure.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
(female)

TEEEB HB User

Thanks for your input! My pain level got too intense, so I gave in and called the doctor. I was told that a transvaginal US shouldn't normally cause this severe of pain. Discomfort - maybe; all out pain, no. The doctor called for the results... the ultrasound found new cysts - but old one on the right ovary is said to have been 'resolved' and shows remenants (SP?). Of course they told me the typical... if the pain is too bad, go to the ER. And they told me to follow up with GYN tomorrow.

Yes - I do have a pressure pain with a full bladder, but I too was asked to empty my bladder before the transvaginal US. The pain I have now is different - intense and severe mentral cramps (I'm no where near that point in my cycle) and bloating.

Has anyone had this sort of pain... I fell a weird sensation in my vagina / cervix area... sort of a stretching. It somewhat reminds me of how it felt when I was pregant and the baby's weight pushed down and the feeling of dilating??? Anyone???

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I meant that after having a full bladder I have pain. Not just during, but for hours after and it increases in level. It's just my theory, since it was also a ? of mine. I never thought it was the ultrasound that caused me pain though, but the circumstances surrounding it.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Wow, i had a transvaginal sono doe this past monday..will get results tomorrow...it was SO SO painful i actually started to cry. i almost pulled that probe out..maybe it was the tech, i dont know...today i feel better..

Closed Thread