It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

nwill HB User
Diagnosis ASC-H

I still have yet to get a doctor's appointment for a colposcopy for the pap test diagnosis of ASC-H. First I was told my pap came back as HSIL but the nurse told me yesterday it was ASC-H??? Is there a difference? They are trying to get me in to see an OB-Gyn, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Is there any urgency in getting the colposcopy done? I'm pretty nervous about this....I had a positive pap about 3 years ago that was ASCUS and it cleared itself.

Any advice/information would be appreciated. Not sure what I'm looking at going through down the road.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Diagnosis ASC-H

Hi,

I wasn't familiar with the ASC-H category, so I did some research and found that it means 'Atypical squamous cells- cannot exclude HSIL'. Evidentially, it means that there are some changes in the cervical cells that are suggestive of HSIL, but these changes aren't suffient enough to actually be classified as HSIL.

That may be a good thing, but I've found that sometimes Paps can be totally off mark when it comes to accurately grading pre-cancerous lesions. For instance, there have been ladies whose Paps were high grade, but whose biopsies came back low grade or just ASC-US. On the flip side, my Paps were showing ASC-US, when in fact I had HSIL; and two years later, when my Pap showed LSIL, I actually had carcinoma in situ (CIS).

Paps really are only a sampling of a few cells, and until a biopsy is done, there is no real way of knowing what is going on.

Since cervical cancer is so slow to develop, a delay of a few weeks or month or so shouldn't make much of a difference. For instance my LSIL Pap was in November 2006, I didn't have the colposcopy and biopsy which showed the CIS until February 2007, and the laser surgery for the CIS wasn't until May 2007.

Good luck with everything and please keep us updated on how things are going. We're here whenever you need us.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 03-13-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread