It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

ncoontz1 HB User
my doctor did a colposcopy and a biopsy. does this mean i have cancer?

Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

ncoontz1 HB User
Re: my doctor did a colposcopy and a biopsy. does this mean i have cancer?

Thank you so much for replying. It does worry me b/c I have 2 little boys. I know that cervical cancer is usually treatable though. I'll pray for you and hope that everything goes ok with your leep and all. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi,

No, the colposcopy and biopsy doesn't mean that you have cancer. You may just have high-risk HPV or perhaps dysplasia, which is pre-cancer, but not cancer (and which might never turn in to cancer.)

Hang in there, okay? I know how scary this can be. I've been having abnormal Paps, colposcopies, and biopsies for almost three years now and have dealt with moderate and severe dysplasia and carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread yet.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your biopsy is normal.

Big hugs,

Lisa

Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

little731 HB User

Hey there....

Having a colposcopy done is to check for what the abnormal cells were that came up on your pap.

It could be low or high grade lesions on your cervix. It does not mean its cancer and it does not mean its only high grade.

I had an abnormal pap in August 05 - that September I had a colposcopy that came back low grade lesions which meant there was just a bacteria (HPV) sitting on my cervix and there was much I could do about it but wait and stay on top of my doctors appts and check ups and always always always use a condom. I had a second colposcopy in March of 06 and that came back low grade and then again in June the colposcopy came back high grade which meant the HPV cells were now pre-cancerous cells. So the next procedure was called a Leep which took place in July 06. This was considered surgery and they numbed me up for this because they were cutting all the pre-cancerous cells off my cervix using a laser. In Decemeber 06 I went back for another pap and that came back normal - the HPV was gone.

HPV can come and go, takes about 18-24 months to leave the body and theres not much you can do to control what it does or if it becomes cancer. Just gotta roll with it.

I just got a phone call from my doctor on Monday (3/17) telling me my pap came back abnormal (the first time since Jan 07) and he wants me to come in for another colposcopy. Crazy thing is after I was told the HPV went away, I got the HPV vaccine...and now I gotta go through it all over again. It sucks and I'm scared but what can you do right? Just make sure to always ask your doctor a million questions about what they are doing and why. Educate yourself so you understand whats going on so you can educate others on your experience.

Good luck babe - my prayers go out to you!

Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi Little731,

Unfortunately, the LEEP procedure you had just removes the abnormal cells, not the HPV. HPV, which is a virus (not a bacteria) can lie dormant in your system for many years, so even though the abnormal cervical cells were removed, the virus which caused those cells to become abnormal can still be in your body.

Also, since you've already been infected with HPV, the vaccine will not protect you. It only protects women who have not been infected yet. (I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you this.)

Condoms don't protect against HPV either, though they do protect against other STDs and pregnancy. But HPV can still be spread, even with condoms.

Good luck with your colposcopy. I hope everything will be okay.

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
(female)

Cindy1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoontz1 View Post
Hi There,

I know it's almost impossible not to worry...but don't, not until the Doctor tells you what you're dealing with.

I had the same tests you did and was told I had CIN III (serve dysplasia)...and that a biopsy was being done to check for cancer.

They even went as far to say that I had a 70% of developing cancer based on what they were seeing.

6 weeks later the results came back from the lab and they were WRONG!!!

Biopsy showed no cancer and only a mild case of dysplasia.

So hang in there...and don't worry until you know what you're worrying about!

Stress is not good for your body!!!

Cindy

Closed Thread