It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Exclamation 10+ cm Septated Ovarian Cyst or Ovarian Cancer?

I haven't wanted to post, because I am still hoping this is just a cyst, not ovarian cancer. But I have been worrying & figured I would post.

I had some health problems last summer (losing weight & pelvic pain & such) & had tons of tests done. (Finally they discovered I had IBD, probably crohn's disease). But meanwhile, they did a pelvic ultrasound & found a 2.2 cm cyst on my left ovary. I was told it was nothing to worry about & that they normally go away on their own. I was supposed to have a follow up in November, but didn't due to the fact that my brother was very ill with cancer & I just didn't have the time (now I am kicking myself). I called them a while ago because the pain has gotten worse (hip pain/pelvic/lower abd. pain/low back pain) & I have this horrible pressure, (but I kept thinking it was due to my IBD) to have that follow-up ultrasound. The results came back that it had grown & is now a septated complex cyst. It is either 2 cysts over 5 cm each or 1 large one over 10 cm. I had the worst period I had ever had, bleeding horribly & huge clots. Then it wouldn't stop. So I called my PCP & she had me take ibuprofen, which I did. It did finally stop & then a week later, I started bleeding again. She put me on provera, but the bleeding did not stop. Finally after about 5 or 6 weeks it stopped 2 days ago. I saw a gynocologist yesterday & he said I have to have surgery. Diagnostic laproscopy. He hopes he can take the cyst out that way, but due to the size, he said I may have to have a laparotomy (open surgery). He also is going to do a hysterscopy D&C, but thinks the bleeding is related to the cyst. When he was doing the pelvic, he said something about a mass on the right (but my cyst is on the left & the ultrasound didn't show anything on the right...?). I should have asked more about that. I was kinda shocked about it to be honest. Maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, he said my uterus is large. And that my thyroid is enlarged also. Lymph is fine.

So! I am worrying, but this is nothing, right? I know it has a possibility to being cancer, but rarely cysts are cancer, right? Has anyone had a cyst turn out to be ovarian cancer? Is there anything else I should be doing? I am just so anxious about this surgery, I have never had surgery, except for the scopes (colonoscopy/egd). How long are you out of work after these surgeries?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: 10+ cm Septated Ovarian Cyst or Ovarian Cancer?

Hi,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I know how frightening it can be.

Last fall, I had an ultrasound which showed a 4-cm complex, solid cyst (tumor) on my left ovary. I'd been having a lot of pain in my pelvic area and up under my ribcage on the left, as well as in my left shoulder. I also had constipation/diarrhea for several months previous, along with abdominal bloating which was attributed to IBS. Along with that I had lack of appetite, weight loss of 25 lbs. in just a few months without dieting, burning on urination, extreme fatigue, etc. All of these are symptoms of ovarian cancer, but, they are also symptoms which can be caused by ovarian cysts.

I had surgery in December to have both ovaries removed (the other one had a functional cyst.) It was supposed to have been a laparocopic surgery, but due to "extremely severe adhesions", I ended up with a laparotomy. (The surgical incision was made through my old hysterectomy scar and is about 8" long.)

The cyst turned out to be a cystadenofibroma, which is a benign tumor. In addition, one of my fallopian tubes was swollen, and everything was stuck to my pelvic wall and colon from the adhesions. My doctor had quite a time getting everything out and had a lot of work cleaning everything up.

Since having the surgery, all of the symptoms I'd been having have disappeared, including the ones attributed to IBS (which I didn't have), and I feel world's better. My incision healed in just a few weeks, and I actually recovered much faster than I did with my hysterectomy.

I was only off from work for a little over two weeks, but I was preparing for college classes that I teach, so I could sit down and also go home when I needed to. Depending on your job, you may need up to six weeks.

The good thing is that the majority of ovarian cysts are benign. So, while I know it's scary, chances are, you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck with everything. Please let us know how you're doing. And if you have any questions about the surgery, let me know. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 03-20-2008 at 06:01 AM.

Closed Thread