It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
(female)

Scared2Death08 HB User
SO scared...Someone PLEASE tell me it's not that bad!

Hi, I'm new here. I was recently diagnosed with HPV and mild dysplasia. I had a colposcopy done several months ago while pregnant. My doc told me that I had a very small spot and that she wasn't going to do a cervical biopsy until after I had my baby. Well, it is now time for me to have that biopsy. I am absolutely FREAKING OUT!!! Seriously, I don't think I've ever been so afraid of anything in my life. This may sound crazy, but I've been more afraid of this procedure than I was to give birth!

I'm so afraid that it's going to hurt terribly and that I won't be able to deal with it. I feel like I'm going to have a serious panic attack at any moment. I'm sure there are plenty of women here who have experience with having biopsies. SOMEONE PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT IT DOESN'T HURT ALL THAT BAD!

I'm more interested in hearing from people who didn't find the experience to be all that bad. If you had a biopsy and thought it was extremely painful, please don't tell me about it....because it will only frighten me more.

I've heard some people describe the procedure as feeling like a little pinch, with some mild cramps afterwards. I'm hoping this is how it will feel for me. If so, then I think I'll be able to deal with it.

I'm also hoping that this will be a very quick procedure. Someone please send tell me it's not bad. I really need some positive vibes right now. I feel ready to cry!

Also, I've heard that coughing as the doc is taking the biopsy helps. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: SO scared...Someone PLEASE tell me it's not that bad!

Hi,

Yes, coughing right at the moment of the biopsy does work. My gyn has had me do this for every biopsy I've had (and I've had four of them in the past two years.) I have never, ever felt a thing. Just be sure to tell your doctor what you are going to do so he or she can be prepared.

Oh, and it is a very quick procedure.

Hang in there. You'll get through it before you know it.

Big hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 03-23-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

adwolf HB User

I just had a colposcopy with a biopxy on Friday, the 21st, and it's really not that bad. My doc had to scrape my cervix (uncomfortable with slight cramping..I've had period cramps MUCH, MUCH worse) Then he told me he was going to take a sample for biopsy, and BOOM, it was done, and I didn't feel a thing from the biopsy!! So, please relax. Closing my eyes and taking even slow breaths seemed to help me. I also took 800 mg of ibuprofen before the procedure.

Good luck!

Amber

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

zooiegirl2000 HB User

I had my third colposcopy on Tuesday, March 18, 2008. I am like you. I was terrified. I was fearful of the potential pain, and that fear made things seem one hundred times worse. From my experience, I'm going to share this with you: take pain medicine ahead of time! The first time I took Tylenol (don't make this mistake- it doesn't help); the second time I got a Valium from a friend of mine and took 1/2 of it beforehand, which helped; last week I got a Percocet from a friend and took 2/3 of a tablet and I did absolutely fine. If you take Ibuprofen ahead of time, which the doctor recommended, I suggest taking at least 3. I'm not suggesting you go out and find someone's pain pills and take them without a doctor's advice because that could be dangerous(!) but I recommend that you take something to dull the potential pain (maybe it's subconscious or maybe it's real, but you will want to take something to be sure).
My procedure lasted less than 10 minutes. Afterward, I drove myself to the store and walked around and went shopping. I had only slight "pinching" during the procedure and absolutely no pain following the procedure, but I did have a strange side effect. I experienced a terrible smell for several days following the procedure - accompanied by a very unpleasant discharge that appeared to be dead cells or remnants of a cotton swab used to apply solution within me. I have an IUD and this cottony discharge got tangled in my IUD string (a fishing-line type plastic string attached to the IUD) and I had to clean myself out by inserting a finger and pulling clumps of this "discharge" out. It was pretty gross actually.
My doctor said to wait at least 3 days following the procedure to have sexual intercourse, but I would recommend longer if you have discharge. It did not make me feel very sexy at all!
Following my past colposcopies, I experienced a blackish coffee-ground-like discharge that was unpleasant. This time, the discharge was worse, but "normal" according to my doctor.
Best of luck as you go through this. Let us know how it goes, ok? Most importantly, it is critical that us women be proactive in taking care of our health and health screenings. If this occasional unpleasantry is worth saving me from getting cervical cancer, I am VERY happy to deal with it from time to time! My brother died of cancer last year, and I wouldn't wish his slow, nightmare of death upon anyone. Blessings to you!
Julie, 41 years old.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Hi Scared2Death08,

I was 10 weeks pregnant with my second child when I got diagnosed with HPV and severe cervical dysplasia. I had mild dysplaisia years before (but no HPV diagnosis) 5 years prior that cleared on it's own. I had 2 colposcopies done when I was pregnant with several "suspicious spots" as my doctor called them. Anyway, like you I had to wait for the cervical biopsies until after I gave birth.

I promise you the colposcopy is not that bad. My first one (7 years ago) was a little painful because I didn't know what to expect and I just couldn't relax. Like you I was just so affraid of what I didn't know. Before I went in for the colposcopy after giving birth (almost 2 years ago now) I took my doctors advice and took a couple of ibuprofin an hour before. I am a baby when it comes to pain and I only felt a little pinch with each one. I had 5 biopsies done at that appointment and I think it lasted for all of 15/20 minutes. I've had one colposcopy since my LEEP procedure (about a year ago) and I again took the ibuprofin and I didn't feel a thing (only 1 biopsy that time).

Try your best to relax before you go to the appointment. It really isn't that bad. Listen to all the advice that your doctor has to give you and please let us know how everything goes. I'm sending all my good thoughts and positive vibes!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

happyhattie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared2Death08 View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I was recently diagnosed with HPV and mild dysplasia. I had a colposcopy done several months ago while pregnant. My doc told me that I had a very small spot and that she wasn't going to do a cervical biopsy until after I had my baby. Well, it is now time for me to have that biopsy. I am absolutely FREAKING OUT!!! Seriously, I don't think I've ever been so afraid of anything in my life. This may sound crazy, but I've been more afraid of this procedure than I was to give birth!

I'm so afraid that it's going to hurt terribly and that I won't be able to deal with it. I feel like I'm going to have a serious panic attack at any moment. I'm sure there are plenty of women here who have experience with having biopsies. SOMEONE PLEASE REASSURE ME THAT IT DOESN'T HURT ALL THAT BAD!

I'm more interested in hearing from people who didn't find the experience to be all that bad. If you had a biopsy and thought it was extremely painful, please don't tell me about it....because it will only frighten me more.

I've heard some people describe the procedure as feeling like a little pinch, with some mild cramps afterwards. I'm hoping this is how it will feel for me. If so, then I think I'll be able to deal with it.

I'm also hoping that this will be a very quick procedure. Someone please send tell me it's not bad. I really need some positive vibes right now. I feel ready to cry!

Also, I've heard that coughing as the doc is taking the biopsy helps. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

happyhattie HB User

Hi there

Not sure if I've done the "reply" correctly, am new to this! I had biopsy done in Feb'08 - apart from the indignity of it, i'm a bit old fashioned I guess and do not like the gynae doing anything down there! It was Ok, my partner came with me and was in ear shot, so that reassured me. Next to no discharge for me and no pain and did not feel the biopsy being taken at all, in fact when I saw the piece he had taken I could see why....it was so small. I had to wait a week for my results. Not such good news CIN2, I have since been back for "loop excision" and now await those results. The waiting doesn't help but we have to appreciate that there are many samples and only a few pathologists! Good luck with the biopsy and results.
Hattie

Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared2Death08 View Post

Hi Scared,
I have just recently been diagnosed with severe dysplaysia and HPV. My doctor scheduled me for a colposcopy in the beginning of February. During the procedure she decided to go ahead and biopsy my cervix. The procedure was not bad at all. I would describe it as a little pinch (only it was three in my case). Overall, the procedure was uncomfortable, not painful!
It was from that biopsy that the doc discovered my severe dysplaysia. My next step was the LEEP procedure. Like yourself, I was scared to death! I almost cancelled my appointment because I was so nervous. When I got to the office, the doctor explained exactly what she would be doing (the nurse held my hand...lol). After the initial injection of the numbing medication, which was again just a pinch, I felt absolutely nothing! Amazing. I had gotten myself into a frenzy for nothing. Both procedures went really well. Try to relax. Don't get yourself all worked up over this (I know....easier said than done!) If you have anymore questions please let me know.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
(female)

jill60 HB User

Scaredtodeath08,
I had this procedure done 2 times within a few months from each other. The first time my hubby went (drove me there)because I didn't know what to expect . The 2nd time I drove myself & went shopping afterwards. I didn't even take any ibuprofen or anything else.
I also had to have laser surgery on my cervix after the biopsy results came back. My insurance wouldn't pay for me to have at the hospital where they normally sedate you. I had to have it done in the Dr.s office, wide awake no pain meds. I just had mild cramping from that.

Good Luck
Jill60

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
(female)

TJ80 HB User

Hi,

I have just had my 3rd colpsocopy with 2 biopsies last week. My first one was least pleasant as I had no idea what to expect but they really arent that painful. More uncomfortable.

It is true about coughing, with my first the doctor didnt tell me to cough but with the other 2 they did and I found it ALOT better. I didnt feel a thing.

Its easier said than done but try not to work yourself up, it sux but you will get through it. Its all over pretty quick.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
(female)

Lucy3506 HB User

Hi Scared,

I've had 3 colpos and they're really not that bad at all. I actually hardly felt the biopsies, just a little pinch. The whole procedure is so quick, it's not worth worrying yourself over it (the anxiety is the worst part). I didn't have a chance to read all the posts, but basically your doctor will insert the speculum, use a long cotton swab to cover your cervix with a vinegar-like solution, look at you through the colposcope, and then decide where to take the biopsies (I had 3 the first time and 2 the second two times). The biopsies are very quick. Some women get cramping, but I didn't. Afterwards, your doctor will apply this mustard like cream to stop the bleeding and prevent an infection. What my doctor failed to tell me (I've since switched doctors), is that the mustard stuff eventually comes out and can turn a dark brown or black color. I completely freaked out the first time, but I guess it was totally normal. Like another poster, I actually went shopping after my procedure too (although, I was wearing granny panties and a pad, so I stuck with trying on shirts, no pants!).

I don't know about coughing during the procedure. I would actually advise against this, since your doctor will be trying to biopsy a very specific spot on your cervix. The vinegar solution turns abnormal cells white, so those are the cells your doctor will want to biopsy. If you cough and move even slightly, you could cause your doctor to miss the right spot. It could just end up prolonging the procedure.

Good luck with everything and please pay no attention to any horror stories you might come across on the internet! This procedure is very routine and very few women experience any problems from it.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
(female)

Riley83 HB User

I had an abnormal pap and was referred to an OBGYN without the knowledge that I had HPV and dysplasia so I didn't have time to prepare for my colpscopy and biopsy. He wanted to do it right away after he told me what was going on and I was freaking out. It wasn't that bad. Just a pinching pain with the biopsy which was hardly felt and some mild cramping afterward. They gave me this big thick pad and I thought I was expected to bleed a lot but there was no bleeding, just some discharge. It will be fine. Just relax. Tension makes everything more uncomfortable than it should be. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooiegirl2000 View Post
I experienced a terrible smell for several days following the procedure - accompanied by a very unpleasant discharge that appeared to be dead cells or remnants of a cotton swab used to apply solution within me.
I experienced the same thing which grossed me out. Glad I'm in the norm with that one and you're right, 72 hours wasn't long enough to abstain from sex.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
(female)

krizzae HB User

All I have to say is that if you've been able to make it through childbirth, you can DEFINITELY do a biopsy. It's not anywhere NEAR that bad - I promise. It's completely true that it's just like a pinch. Just feels kind of like a cramp or something like that... but not even a bad one. I've had many, many cramps that are WAY worse than what the biopsy is like. You'll be fine! I found that just talking helped me get through, I have anxiety so I was really nervous. Bringing your iPod with you and playing some upbeat music can also be helpful in distracting you from the mild discomfort.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
(female)

Scared2Death08 HB User

I want to thank everyone who responded for your support. Reading all of your replies helped me to feel better. I finally had my biopsy, and guess what? I didn't feel a THING!! No pinching, no cramping, absolutely nothing. If the doc didn't tell me she was taking it I wouldn't even have known. I cannot believe how easy that was! I took two Aleve before my appointment, so maybe that helped. Seriously, I worried for nothing! Thanks again to all who replied.

Closed Thread