It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

benson HB User
Cold Knife Cone Biopsy ?

Has anyone had a cold knife cone biopsy with complications? I had to go to E.R. tonight, post procedure (2 1/2 weeks), with severe bleeding. Like really not funny serious bleeding....(gross description coming up)...like filling 3 pads in less than 1 hour with horrible horrible clots. Like just simply walking and feeling the 'flow' and you know it ain't kinda right thing, and then not daring to move even. Fortunately OH was home and helped, but I think even he was shocked at the amount of blood loss in such a short period of time. I'm talking regular hand towels here, not sanitary pads. The E.R. doc stopped the bleeding but has reported the trauma to my oncologist because of 'concerns' of uterine bleeding. I'm was not due to see my Onc/Gynae post 4 months procedure. E.R doc wants him to see me without doubt this following week??? What's the problem here I'm thinking? Now I'm not a worrier, but I do like to be ahead of the game so to speak if I possibly can be. My cervical history is of HSIL, followed by Colposcopy, during which I had another pap test and biopsy performed. I was then scheduled for a loop. During the loop, I also underwent a cone biopsy, which came back as HSIL with unclear margins. Then scheduled for a Cold Knife Cone Biopsy, which came back as C.I.S.
So....Good news there because as I understand it the cone biopsy removed all of the cancer cells with clear margins...yeah!!!
I've had absolutely no problems until today (other than the usual offensive smells). Does anybody have a clue with the suspect uterine bleed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

krizzae HB User
Re: Cold Knife Cone Biopsy ?

That's troubling to hear. It is a listed risk though with getting a cone biopsy done. I'm not a doctor so I couldn't really tell you what conditions facilitate that type of bleeding, but I'm sure your doctor or the person at the ER who treated you could give you a physiological description of what happened in your body.

However, I did find this article that relates to what happened to you... in case you find it interesting.

[url]http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/104/5/1189[/url]

One site I read said that heavy bleeding can happen when the scab falls off... and usually it's a delayed thing that happens, just like in your case. That's what I imagine might have happened, although definitely stay in touch with your doctor to inform him/her of any changes. (To make sure you're not getting any infection in there too.)

This website also considers a cone biopsy to be a 'common cause' of heavy bleeding.

[url]http://www.hpb.gov.sg/hpb/default.asp?pg_id=865&aid=298[/url]

Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

benson HB User
Re: Cold Knife Cone Biopsy ?

Hey krizzae, just to say thankyou so much for the reply and the links.
The E.R doctor seemed very worried, hence my post. My gynae/Onc never returned either his call or mine. I'm still bleeding 4 weeks post procedure...but not as heavy..but still significant..still I'm cool
I think Past caring actually. Thankyou anyhow for your reply

Closed Thread