It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

EXM HB User
Atypical Glandular cells - I don't want LEEP!

I'm 22. So I had one abnormal pap smear. Followed up 6 months later - was told I had ascus, then colposcopied and biopsied. My biopsy came up clear.

That last pap was about 8 months ago. I wanted to pay off my hospital bill before getting another pap. Then out of the blue, a week ago, the clinic called me /at work/ to tell me that they had pulled my pap - the one from 8 months ago - HAD MISREAD IT and I needed to come in for a colposcopy and LEEP because I have atypical glandular cells. I barely kept myself from crying at work.

So this is on a see and treat basis - I may or may not need LEEP depending on how my doctor thinks my cervix looks. I've read every reliable source I could find.

I'm scared. My issues are:

1) I don't have any kids yet - LEEP can cause pre-term birth/miscarriage
2) I can't have sex for 3 weeks to a month
3) they're basing this on an 8 month old pap
4) my biopsy came up CLEAR
5) I don't want anymore chunks of my cervix taken out - it hurt enough the first time! (biopsy)

I realize the AGCUS diagnosis is more severe. At the same time - I'm young, healthy, and chances are there's nothing wrong. I'm thinking of telling the doctor I want the colposcopy, but will only do the LEEP with a follow up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by EXM; 04-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

BE 123 HB User
Re: Atypical Glandular cells - I don't want LEEP!

The problem with the biopsy is that it was taken externally (on the face of the cervix) and does not provide information on the health of the endocervix. Glandular cells are in the endocervix. If, 8 months ago they did an ECC (endocervical scraping) during colpo and that came up clear, then you have a VERY strong case against leep. Otherwise, you need to go in and be recolpo'd and possibly rebiopsied. Sometimes a woman will present with an abnormal pap with a clean colpo because the problem is in the endocervix. This is why an ECC is important.

I agree with you: leep is a last resort as long as your dysplasia is not too far along. You'll want to do a search on this site for how to naturally clear dysplasia. There is a ton of information here. It doesn't work for everyone, but has worked for many. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
(female)

EXM HB User

Thanks so much for the comments/advise!

So I called my doctor and said I wasn't comfortable with the same day/ see-and-treat thing. But the nurse said that the doctor wouldn't be doing the LEEP right after/during the colposcopy. Which is exactly the opposite of what the first nurse said. The first nurse also said that I didn't need to worry about LEEP because it doesn't cause preterm birth anymore... Right.

I'm feeling a little better, aside from the initial "you're getting LEEP based on a pap from 8 months ago" that scared the hell outta me. It's just a consultation so far. So I'll cross my fingers and see how it goes.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

EXM HB User

UPDATE: I went to the doctor today and he took two biospies- he had been planning to do LEEP after all until I called on Friday!

He pulled out the large speculum, paused, and said "You have children?"

"No." Half the reason I was /not/ interested in the LEEP in the first place.

"Oh. I'll use the small one then."

That scared the crap out of me, for some reason. The fact that the guy that wanted to slice n dice my cervix didn't even know if I had children yet.

I can tell he took bigger chunks than the LPN (?) who did my first biospy did. Because it hurt. And I've had severe cramping for 4 hours, inspite of taking two ibu profen. I really regret not requesting her for this colposcopy.

Anyway, now I'm crossing my fingers. I asked for copies of all my records, I'll definitely be more comfortable. When your doctor compares ECC to a cue-tip up the nose, you just wanna say "I'm not 5 anymore and I don't need the flinstones bandaid, just give it to me straight!" Don't tell me the biopsy won't hurt, it did the first time. And the ECC was kinda like putting sandpaper up <** *****> lol. Oh - Kirsch - she didn't do an ECC the first time, either. He just did one now..

Now I wait. Put me in your prayers!

Last edited by mod_007; 04-09-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Do not use slang words, use the appropriate terms.

Closed Thread