It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
I'm new w/ AGC, greater than CIN3: seeking support

I am so glad I found this board! I have been reading so much of everyone's experiences.

I go to a General Practitioner for my paps. In January I was told my PAP came back good, as it has for the last 22+ years. At the same time, my doctor had done the HPV/DNA test (that is the first time anyone has ever run that test). That came back positive for high risk HPV. I freaked out. I guess because of how I reacted she said we could wait 3 months and repeat the pap or send me for the Colposcopy.

A few weeks later, I went to a Ob/Gyn for the Colposcopy. She said she didn't see anything with it, but she did the ECC just for good measure. Man, oh, man did that hurt!

Those results came back atypical glandular epithelial lesions with adenocarcinoma in situ. There were some other things on the pathology report, but those are the things I remember right now.

I have read all I can read about AGC and AIS. That is how I came across this board. After reading all of the medical sites, I started reading all of the posts on this board. I have read so much, I am currently on page 53, dating back to February of 2006! LOL

I know AGC is less common than squamous cells. I know the cells tend to hide in the endocervical canal. I know that AIS isn't quite cancer, but some people say it is Stage 0 cancer others say it is above a CIN3. I guess it depends on who is reading the results. Perhaps it has to do with what else is on the report. I also know that AGC grow faster than squamous cells.

Anyway, after the ECC came back AIS, my gyn scheduled me for a cone biopsy. At the same time she did another ECC (I think), a D&C, and something else. Maybe it was a uterine biopsy (but doesn't the D&C give her that?).

I am now 3 days after the Cone/D&C. I've had some cramping and discomfort, but nothing several ibuprofen won't handle. I am not really bleeding, just "oozing".

My husband doesn't remember what the doctor said when she spoke to him after the procedure. All he remembers is "microscopic." I'm going to call her office tomorrow and ask them what the doctor told him. I'm also going to ask if she catheterized me. It was painful the first few times I urinated after the cone. While I'm on the phone with her office, I'll ask how long it takes to get pathology reports back. I'm hoping for a few days, but I've read it can take several weeks!!

I have a follow up appointment with her in 2 weeks to see how I'm healing.

What more can I do or read while I'm waiting for these results?

Anyway, I want to thank everyone in advance for all of the kind, compassionate, and wise words you have offered to those who have posted before me. Those words have reassured and encouraged so many more people than just the original poster. Thank you for all you have said in the past, and in advance of any help you may offer to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: I'm new w/ AGC, greater than CIN3: seeking support

I just wanted to let ya'll know that I called the doctor today to find out what biopsies/procedure she did and when my pathology report could be back.

She did the conization (cold knife cone), D&C, endocervical curettage (ecc) and an endouterine curettage.

My husband asked her (when she went out after she was finished) if she got all of the lesion(s). She said she didn't know because they were microscopic. I assume that is a good think. I mean, they could have been glaringly obvious lesions, right?

She said my results should be back within 4 days or so. I think I'll call Wednesday just to see . . . My follow up appointment is the 18th.

Also, I went back to work today. I took 600mg ibuprofen when I got to work, then didn't take anything else until I got home tonight. I cramped 5 or 6 times, but they were only bad enought to make me pause while teaching, nothing horrid.

I appreciate anyone who has read my story and has thought well wishes for me. Even if you aren't replying! Blessings to you.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
(female)

LCGirl HB User

Here's wishing you good results. Let us know what you find out.

Take care!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, LCGirl! I appreciate the reply.

I am usually only able to get online in the evenings, but took today off (for other types of doctors appointments - the cervical stuff is only part of my recent medical concerns :/ ). I keep telling myself it is good to know all of this stuff right now while (hopefully) things can be done to stop a downward progression.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

torigirl HB User

Hi Pickle Eyes...welcome to the board!

I'm normally just reading the boards, but wanted to reply to you....

As I read your story, it sounded very familiar, as this is exactly what I was going through last May. I too, had normal pap smears for as far as I could remember, and then I had my first abnormal one. I went in for the usual colposcopy, ECC, etc and it came back AIS. Of course, I was floored, since all my prior paps had been normal and I was not experiencing any of the symptoms that my doctor said that I should have (no pain during sex, no bleeding after sex, etc )

Anyways, I had my cold knife cone back in May of 2007...pathology came back clear margins and CIS, not AIS. My doctor had the pathology report read again, and it was the same...(BTW, I didn't find out results for 3 weeks...I figured if it were bad, they would have notified me sooner...but since they were good, they told me at my followup)

Since then I have had 2 follow up paps (Sept 07 and Dec 07) and they have both come back normal. (Thanks be to God) This past Monday, I went in for my 3rd follow up (and a surprise ECC...ouch!) Now, I'm waiting again..hoping for the best and hoping that the "normal" will be on this result as well.

The waiting is definitely the worse part of it all. My best advice is to just try to stay busy and positive. I know, that's easier said than done...but maybe hanging out with friends and family will give you exactly what you need to stay calm....deep breathing and exercise seem to help too....

My best wishes to you that all comes back clear...please keep us updated if you can...

Take care and God bless...

Tori

P.S. If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer, please let me know....

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tori, thank you so much for writing! Our stories are VERY similar! I'm so glad all of your paps have come back normal! yay!

Prior to the conization I was terrified (ok, that is too strong of a word, but VERY worried) about cancer. Now that I'm healing from the surgery, I am only concerned about cancer. I'm much more assured that even if it is cancer, then we are getting it early and I'll just have a hysterectomy. But even those thoughts seem premature. Which just puts me back to occupying my mind while waiting for the results. <sigh>

My gyn told me she would probably do an ECC for all of my follow up exams (at 3 months, 6 months, etc) since that is the only way we've found the atypical cells. As much as I disliked the cramping with the ECC, I'd much rather go through that and know than to not be sure!

May I ask you a rather personal question? What was your post-cone healing like? I had bleeding for a day or two, and now I'm "oozing" (for lack of a better word). I called the doctor's office today to ask about the scab coming off and gushing blood. The nurse said it is possible, but that should all be cleared up by the time I go back for my post-op appointment at 2 weeks. Did you ever have heavy bleeding post-cone? If so, at what point and for how long? Thank you for answering (and I understand if you choose not to answer).

I also have a question about the difference between AIS and CIS. I'll start a new thread though.

When I called my doctor's office to ask the question about the bleeding, I also asked if they minded if I called every day until they got the pathology report back. She said they didn't mind. I laughed and said, "ok, I'll talk with you tomorrow!"

I guess it is time for me to start repeating "this too shall pass". That sentence (and many prayers) has gotten me through some rough times in my life, I know it will help me through this, too.

Again, Tori. Thank you for writing!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
(female)

torigirl HB User

Pickle Eyes...

Sorry that it took me a bit to get back to you. I try to make it to the boards as much as possible...but alas, time seems to always get away from me...

Okay...my post healing after my CKC was actually very quick. Aside from getting a UTI shortly after surgery (ouch!)....I hardly had any pain and didn't even have to take any of the Vicoden (sp) that I was prescribed. I had very little bleeding as well. The first couple of days it was handled with pantiliners and after that, it pretty much dwindled away. But, everyone is different. Everyone heals at their own rate and with the time that they need. I guess that I was pretty lucky... If you were not healing adequately, I'm sure something would have been said by the nurse when you called the office. I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday.

It's Friday and I haven't heard anything yet from the doctor (either way), so I'm still hoping and praying for good things....

Looks like you got the answer about the difference between AIS and CIS. The ladies that are on this board are quick...and so smart! You can ask them anything and someone will be able to give you an answer!

I'm keeping you in my prayers that all comes back well for you....we are all in this together...

Take care and God bless...

Tori

Old 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tori

It is good to hear from you. I hope you got your results back. I did. I have adencarcinoma 1a1. I've started another thread about it. I'd love for you to drop over to it if you wish.

Thank you for keeping me in your prayers, I'm keeping you there, too. We ARE in this together.

Closed Thread