It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

tara9778 HB User
Scared Severe Dysplasia and HGSIL

I went and had a pap done less then a month ago. It came back that I had severe dysplasia and HGSIL. I went for my coloposcy yesterday which was not an enjoyable!! I was told to make an appointment to return next week for the results. I was also told that I would probably need Cryosurgery or the LEEP. The office I go to only does Cryosurgery so I will probably get a second opinion on if this is the best option. I guess I don't understand why my doc already thinks I need these procedures when no results have come back yet. I am the mother of three girls and am getting remarried in July. My soon to be husband and I would like to try to have a baby. I am scared that will not be possible and I am also scared that my doctor isn't telling me something. Just wondering if anyone has every been through something similar. Most of what I am reading on here has been about Moderate Dysplasia and LSIL. Has anyone ever gotten a pap back and the biopsy was worse? or better?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Scared Severe Dysplasia and HGSIL

Welcome to the boards, Tara. I'm new, too. I found this board over a week and go and have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I've posted a few below this one entitled "I'm new with AGC (etc)" .

You might want to go read that post. I was never told HGSIL or LSIL. I *was* told I have high risk HPV. I later had a colposcopy with an ECC. I just had a cone biopsy (cold knife cone) on Friday (I'm 5 days post op). It seems to be healing well.

Anyway, I don't know why your doctor wants you to have the test done so quickly. It is
possible your doctor has more information than they've shared with you, so they know there needs to be further investigation. I only say this because that is what happened to me, I think.

Let me know if you have any questions
You are wise to seek a second opinion.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 04-09-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

benson HB User

HI Tara, I can only recount what I was told. I had a Pap come back as HGSIL. I was sent for a colposcopy. During the colposcopy, I was given some feedback. Initially it appeared that there was only a small area of dysplasia. A biopsy was done of that tissue, and a repeat pap. My understanding was that subsequent treatment would depend on the actual biopsy results (not the pap). It is the biopsy that determines the actual status of the dysplasia, ie worse/better. In my case the biopsy confirmed the HGSIL, and a Leep was scheduled. During the leep, another biopsy (cone) was performed because of unclear margins during the last biopsy. This also came back as HGSIL with unclear margins. So I was scheduled for another cone biopsy, this time it was a cold knife cone biopsy, which requires general anaethesia (day surgery). I guess at the cold knife cone stage they are taking a bigger piece of the cervix. Plus my dysplasia was higher up in the cervix. I went through the menopause at 28 so, I don't know if this had any relevance. My G.P. (Family Physician seemed to think it might). I was informed that post the cold knife cone, it would be discussed with me insofar as having a hysterectomy, or the wait and see approach (close follow up). Well my results came back as C.I.S, but with clear margins, which means that I have opted for the wait and see approach, ie close monitoring.
So in your case the doc may have seen 'areas' of dysplasia that require treatment. The biopsy will confirm the status of the grading of the dysplasia.
So in essence my biopsy turned out worse...but the outcome is very good.
Take Care

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
(female)

magnj HB User

Hi Benson,

I hope your post cold con surgery is healing better now.
When I read your message " I went through the menopause at 28 so, I don't know if this had any relevance.".... "Do you have HPV? and how old are you now?

I went through very similar situation (I just had leep 3 weeks ago. the con biopsy result is CIN3/CIS). My abornmal pap started from 2 years ago...especially, after my second son was born,....I am not sure if it is related to low estrogen or aging process of skin cells....(I am 39)

I've tested HPV negative (never been positive before).

Do you think "diet and declining estrogen level" might play some role in your case?
thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

benson HB User

Hi magnj. I'm not sure if the mod's prefer you to post a new thread so as not to interfere with the original post. If that is the case then I'm sure the mod's will redirect your question and my reply.
The only thing I can say is that my G.P. suggested because I went through the menopause so early, the cervix is not so open, and therefore it's not so easy to see those cervical cells that are higher up.
I was never able to have children 'cos of the menopause thing, even with I.V.F and loads of fertility drugs given to me produced 'rubbish' eggs (3) at the maximum dosage if I recall Gotta laugh aint ya Also my I.V.F. 'attempts' were aborted at the age of 25 because my body was basically saying I was past it Bit embarrassing really when your with 50 year old somethings who were deemed O.K. to continue To be frank my 'estrogen level' buggerd off 20 years ago Did it have an effect...I dont know? As for my diet and age. Well I'm 47 now and have been a vegetarian since I was 10. Wilful child I was If I have been HPV tested, I was never informed of any result. Not sure if any of this is helpful to you I truely hope everything goes well for you Keep us posted.
Ay Up Tara...are you there ?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

magnj HB User

Thanks for the post, Benson. And apology to Tarra for the interruption.
Tarra, I just went through the same things as you are. LGSIL biopsy, HIGSIL pap, second opinion, then leep 3 weeks ago. The leep result is CIN3 with clear margins (thanks god). The leep is not that bad (general better than local) and a lot of women did still have babies after leep as long as you find a good OBGYN to monitor the preganecy. What I am saying is the worst comes to you, or you may not even need a leep. BTW, are you HPV positive?

BACK to Benson, I am so appreciated for your response. According to your previous post, it sounds like your doc said nothing about you are HPV positive. What I know is all the high risk HPV virus caused cervical cancer 99%, so if you and I don't have the HPV high risk types....do you think it is rare and strange?

This is what I read from "American Society for colp and cervical pathology":
Women over the age of 35 may have cell changes that are not related to HPV but are read as LSIL. Most of these "misclassified" cell changes are due to declining estrogen levels or other effects of the aging process on our skin cells."

You and I have CIN3, but they also said CIN1 to CIN3 are not very clear to identify.....
do you think maybe we are "misclassified" than pre-cancer stage?

If we know for sure what caused our CIN, we might better know how to fight it? if it is not the HPV, certainly will be our diet and the aging cells...
What do you think?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

benson HB User

Tara...I hope everything is well for you. How were your colposcopy results?
I hope I'm not being too nosey, it's just that you havn't replied yet.

Magnj...sorry for the delay in replying, but I'm not sure really how to answer you.
I have never been told that I am HPV positive...but then again I've never asked, so in essence I could be, but I've just not been informed. We emigrated to Canada 5 years ago from the U.K. (we're now in the process of desperately trying to get back ). I had a pap test immediately before I came to Canada and it was clear. Several 'issues' related to my being unable to undergo a pap test until my recent one which was HSIL, so maybe a 5 year max of a pap absense. I've already outlined the due process and diagnosis of C.I.S. so I don't need to go into that any further.
I have no idea if my early menopause affected my cervical cells. What I do know is that at my age (47). I'm having to deal with problems that are most certainly to do with cervical 'aging'. I guess in a bizzare way, I'm fortunate that I got the diagnosis I did, post pap, as it has enabled me to get to see the type of gynae I should have been referred to 4 years ago. The cold knife cone biopsy actually endorsed the 'need' for me to have been seen sooner for those other issues. So in essence I have very 'old' gynae body parts because of my early menopause...(to go through the menopause at 28 is just not very kindly) Like I said my estrogen levels buggered off over 20 years ago. So I guess I know I'm a kinda freak. I know I get a very different response when 'docs' look at me bits after looking at me face
Seriously, if I can help you or anybody in any way, I would, but I'm not sure what your asking me
Get to specifics and I'll ask me docs
Take Care

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
(female)

magnj HB User

Tara, my thoughts on you and look forward to see you on board soon.
Benson, I've just reply to you under the new thread (CIN3/HPV Negative). Please check it out!

Last edited by magnj; 04-14-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara9778 View Post
I went and had a pap done less then a month ago. It came back that I had severe dysplasia and HGSIL. I went for my coloposcy yesterday which was not an enjoyable!! I was told to make an appointment to return next week for the results. I was also told that I would probably need Cryosurgery or the LEEP. The office I go to only does Cryosurgery so I will probably get a second opinion on if this is the best option. I guess I don't understand why my doc already thinks I need these procedures when no results have come back yet. I am the mother of three girls and am getting remarried in July. My soon to be husband and I would like to try to have a baby. I am scared that will not be possible and I am also scared that my doctor isn't telling me something. Just wondering if anyone has every been through something similar. Most of what I am reading on here has been about Moderate Dysplasia and LSIL. Has anyone ever gotten a pap back and the biopsy was worse? or better?
Hi Tara. I have just recently went through the same thing as you are describing. In January of this year I went to my gynocologist because of heavy, painful periods lasting 2-3 weeks at a time and pain during intercourse. She done a pap and a HPV test. The pap came back abnormal and the HPV test was positive. Two weeks later I was having a colposcopy done. Those results showed severe dysplaysia. Four weeks passed and I had a LEEP procedure done. The results of the LEEP came back CIS with unclear margins. My doctor suggested a laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. So guess what? Four weeks later I was having a hysterectomy. (Mind you, I have been having ongoing gynological problems for more than 2 years now). It is exactly two weeks today post-op and I am feeling great. (doctor took my uterus, cervix, right ovary and right tube) I actually went back for my 2 week check-up today and got wonderful news. All of my pathology reports showed no invasive cancer. So... that is my story in a nutshell. Like I said, as of right now, I feel great, all things considered. I still have 4 weeks to go before I'll know if the hysterectomy alleviates the pain associated with intercourse but I do know that I won't be having those awful 2-3 week long periods anymore!

Closed Thread