It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
What is the difference between AIS and CIS?

AIS = adenocarcinoma in situ
CIS = carcinoma in situ

Both the precancerous cells are "in place" (not somewhere else in the body).

Doesn't "adeno" mean they are the endocervical (hence glandular) while the carcinoma means they are excocervical (hence squamous)?

Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
(female)

BE 123 HB User
Re: What is the difference between AIS and CIS?

Pickle Eyes, that's right. Each refer to the (different) types of cells affected. Squamous cells line the ectocervix (the outside, face of the cervis). Glandular or columnular cells line the endocervix (inside the canal). As you move closer into the canal from the "exposed" ectocervix there is a mixture of squamous and glandular epithelium. Usually (but not always) this is the beginning site of most lesions, which either regress or progress. CIS is squamous, ectocervical, and hence easier to spot and detect early. Since AIS affects mostly the cells in the canal, it's often not caught on paps. You will want to rely on an ECC and/or a pap the latter of which should state "satisfactory: (and list the types of cells obtained in the sampling)." Satisfactory means the right area was sampled. Not all paps are satisfactory, and not all doctors bother reading the path report.

Always read the pathology, it will (or should) tell you exactly what was sampled, and the associated findings. Because there are several stages to getting the "bottom line" paps and biopsies are only as good as the doctors who take them and pathologists who interpret them, so the more information at your disposal, the better. Sometimes paps can even pick up vaginal or uterine/endometrial cells and if it does, it will state so (if the pathologist can differentiate).

I wish you well with recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: What is the difference between AIS and CIS?

Great info, brieaukirsch! Thank you. I've never seen any of my Pap pathology reports. I think I'll to see previous ones the next time I see that doctor.

Closed Thread