It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Building immune system

I was recently diagnosed with cervical (or is it endocervical?) adenocarcinoma stage 1a1. I will have a "simple hysterectomy" (cervic and uterus only). What do I need to do to boost my immune system prior to surgery, and keep it up after the surgery? From what I understand, I will not have any lymph nodes removed.

Any advice?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Building immune system

Hi Pickle Eyes,

Folic acid is great for boosting the immune system, particularly for those of us with reproductive cancers. And then of course, there is Vitamin C, A, and B6, all which play a big part in the immune system.

A good multi-vitamin would be a great choice, and then add in 400 mcg of folic acid.

Good luck with your hysterectomy. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2002 for fibroids, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Hugs,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you Sashi! I've read about Vitamins A, C, and E, but hadn't heard B6 and folic acid. I'll be looking into that.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, so stay tuned!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

maple3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I was recently diagnosed with cervical (or is it endocervical?) adenocarcinoma stage 1a1. I will have a "simple hysterectomy" (cervic and uterus only). What do I need to do to boost my immune system prior to surgery, and keep it up after the surgery? From what I understand, I will not have any lymph nodes removed.

Any advice?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

maple3 HB User

Are you staying with your regular gyn doctor. I hope not. It almost sounds like you
will. It's your life, and your decision, but I've never, ever felt more strongly that you
are making a major, major mistake...you need a gyn oncologist surgeon. I'm sorry
if I sound pushy, but I'm afraid that's my nature when I feel strong about
something that I KNOW ABOUT. Either way. Good luck

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

I agree with Maple3. You definitely need to see a gyn/oncologist, if you haven't already. They specialize in female cancer and can better identify and decide what needs to be done.

Good luck with everything and hugs,

Lisa

Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nope, I'm going with the gyn/onco. Thanks for giving me your opinions. I know that it all boils down to what feels right for me, but I totally appreciate everyone's opinions!

I was originally scheduled to go to the Ob/gyn on Friday for post op (cold knife cone) from almost 2 weeks ago. At that time we were going over the path report. She was also going to tell me what the gyn/onco's recommendations were. Now, instead of going to the gyn to hear what the onco says, I'm skipping the gyn and going straight to the onco.

I've started a new thread to keep this thread on topic (re boosting immune system).

Closed Thread